PDA

View Full Version : can non-citizens with no work visa sell their art in the US?

okok
11-19-2002, 12:34 PM
I was wondering -- If someone is not a US citizen, and is staying in the US with a visa that does not permit work --

Is selling art in the US in such circumstances considered as work, or is there any other legal problem with doing it with this kind of visa?

timelady
11-21-2002, 04:28 AM
Sorry you haven't had a response to this... I'd suggest you look up one of the US Embassy sites and check out their information on immigration and visas. Try http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ for a start. The information should be relevent. :)

Unofficial advice: it depends on exactly how you'll be selling. Are you thinking of galleries? or just occassional cash sales to individuals? Obviously you may have a problem selling through outlets but the occassional sale to someone might be okay especially if you just use the money to spend while you're still there. The problems are going to arise if 1) you try to sell to someone who wants to pay you officially (you needing a SSN or such) 2) you want to transfer the money back out of the country or 3) you sell in vast quantities and try to take the money back with you.

Oh, and the other issue is whether you've brought the artwork into the country with you or not. If so it's considered work materials and you might be asked why you're bringing them. This goes for quantities of art materials (paint, canvas) if you're bringing in a lot as well as finished artwork. (I was pulled out of line to be questioned by immigration in Canada for this reason - and I *was* meant to be working there!) If you're only bringing in enough to say you're going to paint on holiday, that it's your hobby, then you're fine.

Tina.

okok
11-23-2002, 04:35 PM
thanks Tina