PDA

View Full Version : Seascape in Acrylics

Electra
03-09-2000, 11:52 PM
A couple of months ago I posted a question about how to do waves. From this painting, it is obvious I still haven't mastered them.

The photo isn't too too far off on color, although the painting does look much better in person.

Help me out here. I know I need some kind of something on the right.. in the distance... but the focus was supposed to be on the sky and the wave.. and this is "a picture of where I was at the time" lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/janetseascape1.jpg

kayemme
03-09-2000, 11:59 PM
i think what you may like is if the sunset were to the right to balance the big rock. you have the crest right in the lightest part of the sunset, so it blends a bit.. you could make the crest stand out a bit more if you moved the sunset to the right...

i really enjoy the gradiation of color in the sky; i have found with sunsets, though.. often the skyline doesn't curve much.. it just heads strait out and towards you.

hope this helsp a bit http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
sincerely,

------------------
km (http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/kmarion/)

arlene
03-10-2000, 12:31 AM
the waves have too much of a feeling of a white thread being stuck on. Bring the blue stippled into it to give it a looser feeling and a feeling of spray more.
I think the only other thing I'd do is make the bird a little more prominent. I like the loneliness of the painting. very nice.

dan
03-10-2000, 12:36 AM
I agree with arlene e. the waves and spray are too static. loosen them up,. also when you paint water it is best to paint it straight across at the shyline. the sky where it touches water is usually warmer due to dust in the atmosphere.

Electra
03-10-2000, 12:47 AM
Ooh good suggestions... I didn't think about the warmer tones near the skyline.

The water actually IS straight across at the skyline.. just that with adjusting the picture for angle and stuff.. it sort of skewed it a little bit.

henrik
03-10-2000, 04:55 AM
I think I would move the sun behind the big rocks (at least partially covered), and then have clouds with nice colors on the sky to the right. Now sun is almost dead center.

Mich451
03-10-2000, 04:07 PM
One thing to do while painting a wave like you have in this picture is to remember that it is a tube shape between the back of the wave and the front foam, and to shade it accordingly even though it is backlit.

Electra
03-10-2000, 04:45 PM
Ok, that's the mental image I needed to have in my head. The tube shape. I just couldn't figure out how it was shaped! LOL

Thanks!

dhenton
03-10-2000, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mich451:
One thing to do while painting a wave like you have in this picture is to remember that it is a tube shape between the back of the wave and the front foam, and to shade it accordingly even though it is backlit.

I would agree, a drop shadow from the foam onto the wave, even though it might not make sense, would make the front of the wave appear to be in front <duh>. Also, on the horizon, it shouldn't be sharp, but should fade with haze. I've tried some sky color thinned and painted over does the trick.

janet
03-10-2000, 10:33 PM
Hi, I think if the sun is a little to the right, or more to the left you may be able to see more of the foam of the wave.
because of the shading of the sun, it seems
u cannot see much of it. I know what u mean
about painting waves, its not that easy,
but with this one you did very nicely.
overall, I like the feel of it.