PDA

View Full Version : Kiddy boots......suggestions????

RyderArt
03-07-2000, 02:39 AM
She's baaaaackkk.
I have been looking at this painting for almost a year now.....and still don't have any inspirations as to the background and foreground execution!!! HELP!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/boots.jpg

This is 12 x 11"...pastel.

The subject has a lot of meaning....reminds me of my favorite cowboy boots when I was a kid...my grandfather smoked white owl cigars...But I am really stuck on the background and foregroung.....please let me know any suggestions you might have.
Hope this digital photo does it justice.

Stephanie

Electra
03-07-2000, 03:33 PM
OK .. I took the liberty of making a few minor visual suggestions.. so here they are..

#1) I think your problem with the background is that it competes with the subject. The contrast is too much. For fun, I tinted it a pale brown and that made it recede further, although it looked nice just with a reduction in contrast alone.

#2 .. The shadow behind the left boot, on the table, was non-existent. I'm pretty sure I didn't render it correctly.. but.. the lack of it looks really weird... Also, the shadow was a bit too curved at the top, on the wall.. so I shaved a bit off of it and it looks more realistic now.

#3) Obviously.. I cropped your image. You had a problem with foreground, but I didn't think it was because there needed to be something else. I thought there was just too much negative space. I cropped it so the hanky falls off the edge of the painting, to keep it anchored to the edge. It also keeps the focal point on the boots.

Here ya go, hope these ideas helped.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/bootsjanet.jpg

dzspag
03-07-2000, 04:55 PM
I think electra was reading my mind. I agree with everything she said...just too much picture..you need to crop in on it more and tone the background a little, too. There needs to also be a shadow under the red cloth, but overall it is a lovely rendering of the boots...the box really adds to the feeling, too. Nice job

cagathoc
03-07-2000, 06:19 PM
I agree but why not take it one step further - I like the objects in the picture but the background does nothing to showcase them.

What about if you adjusted the light for a more dramatic look where the boots, smokes and cloth were dramatically shown off and the background was in deep shadow (without detail - just smoky color maybe)?

Nice work...

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited March 07, 2000).]

RyderArt
03-08-2000, 03:04 AM
Electra....
You are brilliant! You know how it is when sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!!!
I knew a things need to be done...but just couldn't figure it out!!!
I had concentrated so much on the subject...that when I came to the background..I just hadn't thought it through and basicallly lost interest in the whole thing!!!
But you both have inspired me to get back to it... and make it the painting I know it can be. I will start on it after my holiday trip. Thanks.

Stephanie

henrik
03-08-2000, 07:39 AM
Electra, agree with your edits. I think the cropping was a tad too much though; I think cropping the bottom is the most essential, allowing the cloth to touch/connect to the frame.

henrik
03-08-2000, 01:07 PM
Electra - yes! much better.
Here, I darkened the colors on the boots (except the highlights) - I think I overdid it a little on the heel on left boot) - see how they stand out better from the background now...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/boots-hl1.jpg

Electra
03-08-2000, 02:25 PM
Henrik, beautiful job. that was the last piece to the puzzle. It does make them stand out quite a bit more.

Ryder.. if you can come close and implement some of these suggestions (in your own way of course) I think you'll have yourself a really fine piece of work.. Great subject, excellent placement of the pieces.

arlene
03-08-2000, 03:21 PM
The only thing I would change on the corrections already made, was to crop the right side more than the left. Right now the boots are placed dead center. I think it would look better if they were off to the right a bit.
Excellent job, and excellent correction ideas.

RyderArt
03-08-2000, 09:20 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
These ideas have made me excited about this painting again!!!!
I will see what I can come up with.
BTW...what program are you guys using for all this critique work??? I could sure use one..
THanks again...you are all angels.

Stephanie

Electra
03-09-2000, 12:48 AM
LOL .. this one jumped out at me because I could tell what you were going after, Ryder. The charm of the little boots.. which were rendered beautifully btw..

Henrik -- perhaps you're right about a bit too much cropping.

Perhaps this is better? I also added some shadow on the table from the hanky .. and more shadow on the box, too.. to see what it would look like. (gosh, I love graphics tablets.. makes it so much easier to show what I mean)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/bootsjanet2.jpg

paintfool
03-09-2000, 12:50 AM
receding the background a bit as Electra did and adding a little shadow for the hanky are the only things i would do to this piece. The lack of hanky shadow was imediatly apparent to me, but i, also couldn't figure out where else to go with it untill i read Electras reply, as usual, she's on the money!....Cheryl