PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

gordon
03-07-2000, 02:09 PM
You have all seen Johannes critique.
Now tell me what you think.

Gordon.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. Looks like i'm gonna be busy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/reflections.jpg

[This message has been edited by gordon (edited March 13, 2000).]

cagathoc
03-07-2000, 04:59 PM
Oooo. Much better! Really nice! It made such a dramatic difference - those adjustments. I like it!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

janet
03-07-2000, 10:56 PM
My eyes went on the reflections in the
water its so serene and lovely.

arlene
03-08-2000, 12:14 AM
i agree with johannes about diffusing the white in the water and in adding some yellow ochre (or pink)) to the clouds. Other than that, I think the painting is very well done.
I think by adding color to the bushes, johannes wound up making my eye jump and took away from the serenity of the picture.
(but then again, I have a tendency to disagree with johannes. I was the one who wrote him about another piece of art)

henrik
03-08-2000, 07:46 AM
Beautiful!
I think the reflections of the bushes and trees in the water should be darker; now the reflection is brighter than the bushes...

bruin70
03-08-2000, 09:02 AM
gordo,,,,can i assume that the mountain peaks are snowcapped? is your intent to draw the viewer to the mountain in the center?,,,and is that blue,,,,,sky?,,,milt

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited March 08, 2000).]

gordon
03-08-2000, 01:28 PM
Bruin70
The answer is Yes, Yes & Yes.
I must say that the blue sky does not look as dark as that in the original painting.

[This message has been edited by gordon (edited March 08, 2000).]

henrik
03-08-2000, 02:21 PM
Here is the image with darkened reflections of bushes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/reflections-hl1.jpg

bruin70
03-08-2000, 03:56 PM
then a few things.......based on johannes' redo, i wasn't sure as to whether you had heavy overhanging clouds or sky. i think the blue is dramatic,,,and it was your first choice,,,,nothing wrong with it. the snowcapped peaks should be the whitest thing in the painting, especially when it is the center of focus. you seemed to outline it heavily to pop it against the clouds,because the clouds were painted whiter. i would knock the clouds down, to a moodier greyish if you prefer threatening clouds,,,,or with warm tones if you want them to remain puffy and sunlit. last, you'll have to change the scale of the mountain. it's too small. the overly dramatic slope of the cliffs on the right and left,,and the imposing clouds above dwarf the mountain. either that or subdue the whole scene around it to where everything else is some kind of misty blend that supports this one brightly lit hot spot on the painting. i think everything else is very well done. no need for changes in my eyes. ps: you may want to toy with the idea of the reflection as a double emphasis of the mountain...milt