PDA

View Full Version : Janine's October Sketchbook Challenge

jmb57
10-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Hi All,:wave:
cant believe all the wonderful work in the sketchbooks i have seen so far.

well, i am taking the leap....be it a few days late...but i will have some work to post over the weekend.

i am planning to use the moleskine pocket size journal i have had for ages.....always felt it was too 'precious' to use. well, i used a few pages last month in it when i was stranded when my car broke down. so i figure now is a good time to just jump on into it and use the damn thing.:crossfingers: :D :thumbsup: :lol:

i really have been putting this off for so long, just have to fill a sketchbook completely, so hope it is ok to use the one with a few pages already used. otherwise i have another i dont mind beginning.:)

i just want to improve and develop skills, and get in the habit of using the sketchbook regularly, and to have heaps of fun along the way. my interests are graphite, coloured pencil, watercolour, and recently pen and ink. so looking forward to jumping in here, and doing some of the challenges on wetcanvas that i have been lurking around and watching for so long.:crossfingers:

robert not sure if i have to sign into the sticky thread or not....i am sure someone here will let me know....:thumbsup:

i will be glad for any suggestions along the way regarding how i can improve.:wave:

thanks a lot in advance
janine

WC Lee
10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
welcome to the challenge :) using a sketchbook with a few used pages shouldn't be a problem, I'm using a sketchbook that won't be finished and probably be continuing into Nov with it.

virgo68
10-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Welcome Janine (another aussie in the challenge woohoo!) Whatever sketchbook you want to use is fine! Robert's challenge was to finish a sketchbook in a month (October being the first challenge) - however, whenever and whatever way is your choice, he was pretty open with the interpretation and I think he will agree, the challenge is to just get sketching more :crossfingers:

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

Greeble
10-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I did start with an empty one myself, but it has 108 pages, and my goal is to fill half. I don't think it matters so much not filling one entirely, just that we get our ... pencils...in gear

jmb57
10-05-2010, 09:23 AM
hi WC< Jackie and Jen,
thanks for the welcome.
looking forward to getting into it.
thanks again
janine

JTMB
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Glad to see you jump in, Janine! :wave:

loobyteacher
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
welcome to the insanity....aren't you glad you jumped in!

Joan T
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Welcome, Janine!!! Glad you're taking the leap with the rest of us. I'll be on the lookout for your sketches.

jmb57
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
well, finallyyyyyyy!!!!
i am jumping in. i did this for the drawing and sketching challenge. it took longer to do than i anticipated, and while it is not really finished, i thought it was high time to submit something here. thanks Robert for initiating this challenge, while i may not get to fill a sketchbook this month, i will be meeting the challenge by getting more involved.
of course any suggestions to how i can improve will be greatly appreciated.
my sincere thanks to everyone who has already been very encouraging and given me the courage i needed to have a go, and get involved here.
thanks janine
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2010/214790-ds1a.jpg

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Welcome and great to have you jump right in! Since you asked for suggestions, I notice your perspective is off on the side of your barn. It isn't bad, but if the front of the barn is the same as the side front, they should both angle back the same. Also if you color in the doorway it will look like there are shadows inside. You have some really great shading and a wonderful country barn.

jmb57
10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
thanks Colleen for the comments.
i should have coloured in the doorway like you said, to be honest, i thought a few times that i was going to spend the whole month on this barn!!!!
thanks again
janine

DrDebby
10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
You've got some nice textures going on here. I agree you could darken the doorway to give the impression of depth and interior.

Colleen is correct about the perspective. But, that is practice and hard to get right sometimes.

jmb57
10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
thanks Debby for your comments

Chuckcamo
10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Your off to a good start, just dive in and go for it....

eyepaint
10-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the challenge! Great sketch to start with :)

virgo68
10-13-2010, 04:17 AM
cool! You got a good range of tones, perspective confounds me still after 10 years plus of drawing! ;)

Vivien Maloney
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Janine and welcome to the challenge.
You've made a great start with your barn drawing. I sympathise with "getting bogged down" with a drawing, as it's something that I continually do. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi Janine,

Firstly, WELCOMED to the Madhouse that is the sketchbook challenge.

Don't worry if you only achieve 3-5 pages by the end of the month, the whole point really is to sketch as much as possible, NOT to stretch yourself beyound your limits!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL drawing, LOVE the shading!!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey