PDA

View Full Version : "Blue Ice"

janet
03-04-2000, 08:31 PM
I recently started painting with oils
and decided to paint this winter scene
on a 18 x 24 using prussian blue, white and
black. I had trouble painting the bare trees
Any replies for improvement is very welcome!

Janet
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Mountain2.JPG
email: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 04, 2000).]

cagathoc
03-04-2000, 10:31 PM
This reminds me of a japanese painting. Simple and elegant. good job!

kemshmi
03-05-2000, 12:54 AM
trees with few branches and only the larger branches tend to look "dead" instead of dormant..so if the trees are alive, only sleeping for the winter, they could use more small branches..the curving shapes of your trees are very nice

Kemshmi

henrik
03-05-2000, 08:36 AM
Hi, like the look of the trees - a touch of Van Gogh perhaps? The big mountain gives a very icy feel.
I have trouble figuring out the landscape; behind the two trees to the right there is what appears to be a very large cube of ice. The "cube" seems to be very close to the two trees; almost as if they were stuck on the surface of the "cube".
Do you see the "cube" thing. Also, above the "cube" there are three peaks floating - do they belong to the big mountain in the back, or the cube-thingy?

Mich451
03-05-2000, 01:30 PM
A few highlights or brighter spots would help give some form. I get the feeling Merlin is about to step out of the frozen block on the right.

janet
03-06-2000, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and comments!
I never thought I could expose and post my
artwork in the critique forum how exciting!
I guess I should have added distance to
the "cube" thingy on the right. I gave a "misty" effect behind it where the 3 mountain peaks are they are part of the big
mountain. I wanted to create this cold and icy mystical place. Can anyone see an optical illusion in the big mountain?
I liked Mich451's comment on Merlin. I can also see father"warlock" popping out of the mountain! As for the trees I intentionally wanted tocreate "dead" trees but I can see how I should have added a few morebranches,or s/h
stretched them out a bit more.
Thanks Cagathoc!
you will see more of my sketches/paintings
soon

oleCC
03-08-2000, 12:41 AM
You captured the feeling of mystery very well and just looking at it, makes me chilly. Good job ! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/olecc

yoli
03-08-2000, 12:51 AM
Janet,

This painting is really nice. I like the dead trees. I get the feeling that it is a spooky night out of a fairy tale. I do see the optical illussions on the mountain. I see a skull right on the top of the mountain, along with a monstrous face on the left, and a long thin face on the right. Is that what you are referring too? I also see a round object in between both faces (towards the middle top of the mountain), is that supposed to represent something? If you ask me the round object represents a good omen in between both spooky faces. I would really like to see more of your paintings soon. Keep up the good work. I feel that art is an escape from the "jungle city" like you mentioned. You have the right idea.

Great Work,
Yoli