PDA

View Full Version : still working on this one

shelewis
03-05-2000, 01:25 PM
Ok, here's one I'm still working on, this is actually the sketch I did for the piece (the actual piece won't fit on my scanner) It's another mixed media, the tree is in pencil and the rest is watercolor. I haven't put the bushes into the actual painting yet, not sure I like them! HELP!!??
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/kilborn.jpg
Paula

[This message has been edited by shelewis (edited March 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by shelewis (edited March 05, 2000).]

MichaelRH
03-05-2000, 05:31 PM
Paula...wanted to look at more of your work!

I can see you have (already) a nice command of the medium. I took classes with Don Hendricks (in Orange County) quite a few years ago...and from what I recall, I can see you are already applying some of the basics.
Working from light to dark (this was my understanding of Don's technique)...seems the reverse of working with oils..and you have some nice values going already with this one.
(See you in chat, Michael)
You don't seem timid..which is good for a watercolorist!

shelewis
03-05-2000, 08:58 PM
thanks Michael!!!

cagathoc
03-06-2000, 08:18 AM
The sense of depth in this painting is great and I love the color scheme.

It's the kind of painting that gets you contemplating. One lonely tree, struggling to show itself over the rocky terrain, showing dignity and strength.

I like it!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

henrik
03-06-2000, 09:21 AM
Hi, Like this one of yours too. On composition; I don't like the small green twig, I think it steels to much focus from the tree. I think the eye is lead towards the tree from the bottom "bush" without it by following the ridges/edges of the rocks.

kemshmi
03-06-2000, 09:53 AM
Hi Paula..nice watercolor..I think the bushes would be ok if there were more of them scattered around..maybe a few lines of them along a couple of the ridges..it really depends on what you want the finished painting to look like..you can scan larger paintings on a flatbed scanner by turning the painting..making 4 scans..then cropping and pasting them together..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/paulapic.JPG
I put in more bushes and a couple of trees, (of course it is not as nice on the paint program as it is with your brushes and watercolor!)
question..your penciled tree looks very good, but..why not do your tree with the paint also?
Kemshmi

[This message has been edited by kemshmi (edited March 06, 2000).]

shelewis
03-06-2000, 09:23 PM
thanks for all the comments, I think I will probably leave the bushes out of the final painting. This scene is in southern NM in a place where a meteorite hit, not sure when, It's called Kilborn hole. The edge of the hole is very rocky with few bushes and the trees are dead (this is why I used the pencil on the tree) I also wanted the tree to stand out above the rocks, like Cagathoc said, it's a "lonely" tree at the out at the edge of the hole. I think maybe putting more bushes would detract from that feeling??? thanks again for all the comments!! you all sure have inspired me to keep painting!!

Paula

PS, thanks for telling me about scanning larger paintings Kem, I had wondered if I could do that!!! That's great news since my dig. camera is in the repair shop!! Now I just have to figure out how to do it!!

[This message has been edited by shelewis (edited March 06, 2000).]

kemshmi
03-06-2000, 09:36 PM
you can do the scan in sections..save each one with a slightly different name like desert1, desert2,..then open "new", open desert1 and drop or drag into "new", open 2 and drag into "new"...crop and move the pieces around until they line up..

Kemshmi

shelewis
03-07-2000, 04:03 PM
thanks Kem!! only I think it will take about 6 separate scans to get it all in!! what a lifesaver you are!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Paula

Mellryn
03-07-2000, 11:54 PM
Oh, Paula
I love it! Just a sketch? Now I want to see the final! Oh the lonely tree, looks so lonely yet stately despite the barren land around it -- kinda like hope at the end of your rope - Like Scarlet O'Hara vowing never to go hungry again in the turnup field. -- Don't put more bushes in, it is so dramatic as it is. The colors are so exciting too. Are you sure this is just a sketch?? It is so much more powerful than your other pieces. Looks to me like you're expressing more than in your other pieces (as per our conversation)-- keep it up it's only going to improve.