PDA

View Full Version : summer fruit

dzspag
03-04-2000, 05:17 PM
Trying again..hope this image is better than the last. Summer fruit is approx. 16 x 20 acrylic on illustration board. The image is slightly cropped from the original. I like the melon, but not sure about the vase colors. Suggestions, please. and thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragement.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/summerfruit.jpg

Gisela
03-04-2000, 06:46 PM
Dee,
You have a great feeling for using those bold rich colors. Just a guess, but maybe you're not so happy with the vase because the colors are so pale in contrast to the rest of the painting. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Go ahead and get bold with that vase too. like those beautiful rich colors on old Chinese vases.
Very nice piece though!!

Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

Phyllis Rennie
03-04-2000, 08:18 PM
Wow--you're certainly ambitious! I'm not sure I'd even attempt a piece with all those patterned plates! Just curious--how much time do you have into this? It's beautiful.

Maybe you could add a glaze to the vase to make it a more antique white instead of the bright pinkish white.

RyderArt
03-04-2000, 08:37 PM
Hi,
I understand your problem with the vase...it would really be great to using the chinese colors schemes...reds,etc. It will then mesh with all the other "warm" colors in your painting.
I love it!!!!
Stephanie

bruin70
03-04-2000, 09:22 PM
my first impression was that it was crowded, but a second look saw that you placed the five rounded shapes nicely. two things. the glass of fruit is out of perspective. wouldn't be so noticable except that it is placed right next to the vase which is in perspective. and second,,,what is that white shape above the pear? whatever it is, it is confusing....milt

arlene
03-06-2000, 11:09 AM
I think you did a great job with this painting.
The reason the vase is bothering you is because the picture seems to be cut in half right across the middle. To remedy this I would:
1. Do as suggested and make the vase stronger in value. But I would keep the darkest values on the right side of the vase with just touches on the left.
2. Add a fruit to the top of the left plate to help bring your eye up to the top half of the picture. Maybe one of those melon slices angled from lower left to upper right?
3. The plate in the upper right seems to float off the page and gives too much negative space to the top of the picture. Try bringing the plate down so it is behind the vase, so there is very little negative space on the upper right side. Then add just a touch of the red into the fruit there to help carry your eye up and around.
4. Lastly, I would add just a touch of orange color to the lemons to warm them up a bit (They're the only thing in the picture with that stark a color) and turn the nipple of the lemon to face up towards the plate on the left side. This would also help bring your eye up into the picture.

henrik
03-06-2000, 11:22 AM
I have a feeling that the chinese vase is not placed at the same level as the rest of the objects; somehow it looks like it is resting on something lower than the tabletop ?!? confusing - do you see it too?

CarlyHardy
03-06-2000, 02:09 PM
The more I look at it the stronger the feeling that the vase needs to lean more away from me instead of toward me...the glass on the left leans toward me and they are on the same plane.
I hope I've made sense...would also deepen the colors on the vase giving it the same intensity as the rest of the painting..and clarify the white shape or take it out maybe.
Such a beautiful painting! and a composition that is very difficult too! (at least for me)
carly

CarlyHardy
03-06-2000, 02:10 PM
Okay, took another look at it and maybe its the glass that ought to lean forward instead of the vase...I'm probably no help at all!!!
carly

oleCC
03-06-2000, 03:01 PM
well, I am probably way out of line here - but for me, I like the vase colors as they are! Maybe I would have used less red in the melons so the contrast would have been less stark. Wonderful work.. I love it! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

RyderArt
03-06-2000, 09:24 PM
CHC,
I tend to agree with you, I knew something was slightly out of kilter...and I do believe it is the stemmmed glass.
But, what an extraordinary painting!!! The perspective aspects of this piece would be a nightmare for me....and it has been handled beautifully!!
Stephanie