PDA

View Full Version : sugar in the sleigh

irene clark
03-03-2000, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone!
Me again with the cutesy critters.
Meet Sugar in the sleigh at Christmas time.
Done in chalk pastels, 16x24.
I know this will have to be cut down to fit a frame. I started out on the right track but soon ran out of paper and had to redesign the top of the sleigh.
I thought the sleigh would be easy, certainly easier than the white cat, but it turned out to be most difficult.
I want to know if I've managed to get depth perception half ways decent? I've looked at it soooo long that I'm cross eyed with fatigue.
Comments Pleeeeeeease!!
Irene Clark with a heart for art.

<a href="http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/kclark/hart/">Heart to H-ART - Irene Clark</a>

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/pasugar.gif

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited March 06, 2000).]

RyderArt
03-03-2000, 09:34 PM
Hi Irene,
Sugar is adorable!!!
The only thing that I might do...is add a bit more contrast to he(or him!)....of course photo's tend to wash out the whites...so it could just be the photo.
I do the love the color contrast white on the red.
Keep up the good work.

Stephanie

robinsn
03-03-2000, 11:57 PM
The depth of the bottom of the sleigh is really good, Irene! The top part is lacking the light of the bottom part, and does not have the same depth. I agree with Ryder about the contrast of the cat, but it's probably the photo. I wish I could see the original! Since this is a sleigh, I assume the surrounding is snow? It appeared to me (being a southerner) to be sand. Maybe it looks to dark for snow?

------------------
-Randy
My Art Gallery (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/randy/)

BillieD
03-04-2000, 12:51 AM
Don't really have anything to add to the critique. Other than I love it. I just returned from a pastel workshop my Guild is offering. I am doing my first pastel, thought I'd hate it. (Being a lefty I've had a phobia about smudges since my first day of grade school.) I took it because it is a landscape course as well. So, any hints anyone has to offer will be welcomed.

Keep it up, Sugar is sooo elegant.

Sincerely, Billie Dawn

RyderArt
03-04-2000, 02:12 AM
Billie,
I always start working in the left corner across and down....so I would assume if you work the opposite it will help....I also use a see through acrylic bridge....to go back in for detail. Since I paint flat..not on an easel....this seems to work. Let me know!
Stephanie

[This message has been edited by RyderArt (edited March 04, 2000).]

bruin70
03-04-2000, 05:44 AM
why don't you get a frame to fit what you have. cropping is only for improving. you're not consistent with you depth. the sled is rendered 3-d, but the cat and background are flat. if you meant the rendering of the sled, then you're ok. but there is no depth in a vignetted scene. also,,,the sled looks to be viewed from above and it is not "going back" in distance.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

irene clark
03-04-2000, 09:47 AM
Hi Randy
Actually, the background isn't anything. The original photo was taken inside the house, but I wasn't interested in adding the tile kitchen floor to the painting. What I wanted was just a fake background that wouldn't take away from the contrast of white kitty , red sleigh. What background would you suggest?
Thanks
Irene
Originally posted by robinsn:
The depth of the bottom of the sleigh is really good, Irene! The top part is lacking the light of the bottom part, and does not have the same depth. I agree with Ryder about the contrast of the cat, but it's probably the photo. I wish I could see the original! Since this is a sleigh, I assume the surrounding is snow? It appeared to me (being a southerner) to be sand. Maybe it looks to dark for snow?

irene clark
03-04-2000, 10:02 AM
Thankyou Oh Patron Saint,
I really can't see what else I could do with it. The photo was taken from above though, and that's what I wanted. It's the surroundings that I'm in a quandry about. I originally thought that I could treat it like a portrait and just shade in around it in a complimentary color. Grey sure doesn't do it for me. What would you suggest?
Thanks Irene
Originally posted by bruin70:
why don't you get a frame to fit what you have. cropping is only for improving. you're not consistent with you depth. the sled is rendered 3-d, but the cat and background are flat. if you meant the rendering of the sled, then you're ok. but there is no depth in a vignetted scene. also,,,the sled looks to be viewed from above and it is not "going back" in distance.

bruin70
03-04-2000, 10:48 AM
there's an oddity here. the cat looks like it was from a different setting. as if it were lying on a table, and you were looking straight ahead. if the cat was actually in this pose then i'd change the pose to make the cat look like it was lying on its side , looking up at you. nonetheless,,,,howz about a rug pattern. a couple of balls on the rug. adding items that you see on the floor might ground the sled. if you choose to just add a shade of color, compliments aren't necessary.

robinsn
03-05-2000, 03:58 AM
I don't know... The cat looks like the right shape to be laying there looking up, but the shadow indicating the spine is in the wrong place, making it look like a side view. Maybe....

I would think an outdoor view of dirt, grass, balls would fit more, but I'm not a cat person, and I bet that indoors makes more sense to a cat person. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
-Randy
My Art Gallery (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/randy/)

Bruce Rohrlach
03-05-2000, 04:36 AM
Hi Irene,
I love the glossy shiny look of the sled - your got the reflected high-lights really nicely. I've seen your detailed renditions of furry animals on your www site, so I presume the detail is there and is just as great.

I agree with Milt - the viwing angles of the sled and the cat sugar don't seem to match. But I think it's simply because of the poor quality scan. I tried downloading into Paintshop and when you zoom in you can actually see sugar is lying on his/her side consistent with the steep viewing angle. It's just the "white-out scan" of the cat that gives the impression of a low viewing angle. I think anyhow - Irene, can you post a close-up of Sugar only with less contrast.

irene clark
03-06-2000, 07:10 PM
I wish I could Bruce, but technoputz that I am, a clue to how to accomplish that task completely eludes me. I'll ask my daughter.
Considering previous comments I have the feeling that maybe the end result was due to the way I viewed the photo while drawing. Man, how do I explain this one? The photograph was taken looking down on the cat and then I drew from the photo looking at it straight on. Does that make any sense at all??
Also the cat is partially on her side, leaning against the side of the sleigh.
Milt suggested, grounding the sleigh by placing objects around it and I tend to agree. I just don't like the way Sugar is flying out there like on a magic carpet or something. How about afterburners, rocket boosters or something?
Thanks for the feedback,
Irene
Originally posted by Bruce Rohrlach:
Hi Irene,
I love the glossy shiny look of the sled - your got the reflected high-lights really nicely. I've seen your detailed renditions of furry animals on your www site, so I presume the detail is there and is just as great.

I agree with Milt - the viwing angles of the sled and the cat sugar don't seem to match. But I think it's simply because of the poor quality scan. I tried downloading into Paintshop and when you zoom in you can actually see sugar is lying on his/her side consistent with the steep viewing angle. It's just the "white-out scan" of the cat that gives the impression of a low viewing angle. I think anyhow - Irene, can you post a close-up of Sugar only with less contrast.

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited March 06, 2000).]