PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Dallas Sunrise

msue
03-03-2000, 10:16 PM
Still learning this stuff. Hope I got the right picture. If it is the right one it is pastel. Graumbracher, Rembrandt, General pencils, and Carbothello pencils.

How do I edit this so it isn't so large?

Okay. Refer to the photo as edited by Bruin.
[This message has been edited by msue (edited March 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by msue (edited March 05, 2000).]

robinsn
03-03-2000, 11:44 PM
I've taken the image and shrunk it for you. If you edit your message and put DSC00004.jpg instead of DSC00003.jpg, it should be the right size.

The way you do it is to load it in your graphics software, and find the "resize" option. This one was around 8" x 6" and I resized it to 4x3. Where that option is, depends on your software.

------------------
-Randy
My Art Gallery (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/randy/)

[This message has been edited by robinsn (edited March 03, 2000).]

bruin70
03-04-2000, 05:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/sunsetredo.jpg

there,,,,now we can see it. msue,,i'm not big on "critisizing" composition. but what i'm wondering here is how you arrived at this idea. i'm left with a feeling that this is all too random. that you came across a cropped photo, and just painted it. ahhh,,,if art were that easy. i think more thought should be given to the point of view.....milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

henrik
03-04-2000, 05:42 AM
Is this the full ? It looks like it is cut of at the bottom...

RyderArt
03-04-2000, 06:56 AM
msue,
Impressive! Now that I can get it all in one view!!!!
I think you need a little more of the sunset tones reflecting on the top clouds.....not a lot...just a hint. And maybe bit less gradation in the sunset tones...having them gradually blending into each other more....
Again...this is great....I have tons of photo's of sunsets....(I am never up early enough for sunrise!!) and just can't get the courage up to paint one!!! So you go girl!!!

Stephanie

[This message has been edited by RyderArt (edited March 04, 2000).]

cagathoc
03-04-2000, 08:03 AM
I like the large shapes in this piece; reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe. The colors are georgeous. Nice work!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

dhenton
03-04-2000, 08:07 AM
I like the composition, the clouds and the trees form a focusing circle around the sun. Cool

msue
03-04-2000, 09:04 AM
This was done from a composite of a half dozen photos of the RISING sun. All from the same basic angle down an alley with fences and trees still in dark silhouette. The photos span maybe a minute or two in time. Hmmmm, Bruin your comments sound a lot like my husband's. His initial reaction was "there is no foreground" I have failed to accomplish my intent. My focus was in the glorius colors of the sky. Have wanted to capture this for a long time. Was inspired to give it a try after reading the article about pastelist Lynn Taber and her dramatic sky paintings in March 2000 issue of American Artist magazine. Just looked at the mag. again to get her name. Maybe I should have at least had it in the same room when I was attempting this painting for referral on composition.

[This message has been edited by msue (edited March 04, 2000).]

irene clark
03-04-2000, 10:17 AM
Hi there,
I positively love your rendering of the clouds. The sunset is quite beautifully done, it just seems to me too that the bottom of the picture is missing.
I only wish I could get my skies to look as good.
sincerely
Irene

msue
03-04-2000, 05:20 PM
Just compared the original to the photo. There is about an inch cut off the bottom of the painting in the photo.

robinsn
03-05-2000, 03:50 AM
This thread is hard to read as everything goes off the screen on the right. Msue, if you edit your original message to a "4" instead of "3", the thread will be easier to follow. Or since Bruin posted it, just take the image link out completely.

I've gone back and forth on the composition. It is a different composition than normal and that can be good or bad. Sometimes the unusual can grab you, and the first glance at your painting did that. But as I looked at it longer, I wasn't sure I like the composition. (not much help, am i?) http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
-Randy
My Art Gallery (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/randy/)

henrik
03-05-2000, 07:26 PM
Hi, I too have a problem with the composition; the two black things framing the sun, and the red part of the sky being bent downward towards the black thing on the right. So... I took the liberty of removing the black thing to the right just to see what it looks like. I also changed the overall shape of the black things to the left to better balance the dark blue area in the sky. I made the red area less circular (right hand side of painting). The edits are rough and in the process I introduced unintentional artifacts. Please squint your eyes and look at composition only.

Anyway - this is what it then looks like
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/sunsetredo-hl1.jpg

Electra
03-06-2000, 03:29 PM
Aww, Msue...

I understand your disappointment, but please don't let it discourage you much.

There are many positives to gain from this painting:

1) You have learned how difficult it is to render light. (Even if you are able to match the colors exactly, it still is difficult to make it read as light!)

2) You have learned about composition and what draws people's eyes..

3) You have enjoyed the creative process of painting (I hope!)

It is always evident in the finished product when someone has enjoyed the creative process of painting. Honing your technique will help, but if you don't enjoy doing it, then what's the point? Enjoy yourself! ;-)

henrik
03-06-2000, 04:13 PM
(((((msue))))), we all feel the same way about our own work... It is so much easier to spot what is "wrong" with someone else's work.

We learn something new with each painting! Increasing our ability to overcome problems, to see what we paint as opposed to paint what we see. We all take one step at a time.

And to quote Electra "Enjoy yourself!"

msue
03-07-2000, 12:03 AM
Henrik--Thanks for the composition input. I still have so much to learn about being an artist and editing what I see. I've had to move the painting off the easel and start something else and let this one rest a bit. I didn't accomplish my goal and it's disappointing. I'm in the I like it one day and don't the the next stage. When I look at the posted photo then see the actual painting the colors in the post seem much more harsh. I tried not to create that curve, but in staring at all the photos their is the earths curature effect as the colors dissipate giving way to light blue sky. So much to learn, so late a start. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif