PDA

View Full Version : Milt...Portrait of S

MichaelRH
02-29-2000, 12:51 PM
This is an oil on canvas about 3 1/2' square.
It is based entirely on a photograph...it was drawn and painted VERY quickly..the pencil drawing lines are still visible within the painting.
It appears that the figure is suspended in space, but I liked the dramatic impact of the black background..it seemed to add emphasis to the (milt...uh..various..) light sources.
I did take some liberties with the color of the lighting..cools and warms.
I like the drawings of Egon Schiele very much, and although I like the focus/emphasis of single figures..I am now working much more with multiple figure compositions (couples)

Gallery is back up. My host just completed a frames version..so I hope the load-times will be reasonable. The usual cautions.."nudity and mature themes"...not for visitors under 18yrs. <A HREF="http://www.krweb.com/pages/mike/index.shtml http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/PortSS.jpg " TARGET=_blank>http://www.krweb.com/pages/mike/index.shtml http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/PortSS.jpg </A>

cagathoc
02-29-2000, 09:18 PM
I like the way her hand behind her head comes out in space towards you. She is interesting and beautiful. I kind of catch my breathe when I see her.

The different handling of the hair and the facile planes works nicely but the cloth looks a bit stiff.

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

bruin70
03-01-2000, 05:02 PM
schiele's drawind was very dynamic and angular. remember one thing about square formats(which i love). they tend to make you think of conservative structured comps. it's the nature of the square,,,equal on all sides. i think you wanted to be more dynamic with your pose. one thing i love to do is to play the angle of an object against the edge of the canvas. when you have an idea,,,,,PUSH IT, especially when you want to be dynamic. do a thumbnail, and see how far you can stretch an idea. the hand above her head is not expressive and the shadow cast by the fingers break up the palm too much. i'd have made those cast shadows lighter than the background color. i was playing with your image. would you like to see what i did?,,,,milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

oleCC
03-01-2000, 10:21 PM
I am impressed ! I certainly would like to see what Milt did when he played with this one. How about posting it ?

bruin70
03-02-2000, 04:29 AM
only if michael wants.

kayemme
03-02-2000, 08:10 AM
i think your use of color is stellar. i enjoy the composition, but i feel the left breast (our right) is much fuller than it should be for comparison with what you can see of her right breast.

it's almost like you have the base of each breast at the same level, but she's at an angle which would show you some of her ribcage area.. and lying back like that would make it kinda "flop" over the side a bit in a jiggly oblong pancake shape (sorry about my poor use of analogy..) so you probably wouldn't be able to see her side at all where the breast covered it, if, in fact, her breasts are large enough to do that.

possibly the right hip (our left) may need to be raised a bit to give a more horizontal effect. (not sure, really.. would have to play with it a bit)

MichaelRH
03-02-2000, 03:16 PM
Thank you..everyone, for your comments. And...YES!! please bruin70...I would very much like to see the application of what you see. Post by all means.
(I am waiting for YOUR "ok" bruin70), regarding your email!!
You all help me to open my eyes...wouldn't it be something (for all of us) to go beyond what we have thought we might do..I've never been one for challenge..(I have ALWAYS been extremely hard on myself--see my biography!)...but when we realize we have a degree of skill..(confidence with our chosen mediums)...the process becomes MUCH!! MORE!!! enjoyable. (This from someone who gave himself an ulcer (LOL!)...just wanting to paint masterpieces first time out. I told someone that I was never particularly impressed with the fact that humans (get better simply by practicing something)..maintenance vrs payoff..(a time invested thing!!!)..but I was not happy about the process..and did not allow myself that TIME for years. Once we can begin to see real accomplishment...the fun begins. Hope to see you ALL in chat very soon..Mike

MichaelRH
03-03-2000, 03:11 PM
bruin70...still wanting to see your applications to the painting above..(If I am understanding, you are going to re-post the painting with your adjustments and suggestions?? Looking foreward to seeing this.

I hope I was able to clear up any confusion on the use of two email addresses.
Sketch47@hotmail.com is my own, and my wife and I share artist@oneimage.com (it is convenient to use artist@oneimage.com as it is through our server.

I will try to be in chat this evening 3/3.

bruin70
03-03-2000, 05:25 PM
as mentioned,,,the square format lends to a very symetrical composition. i changed that and brought the figure closer to the edge so that i could play the gentle arc of her left side against the border. i added leg to extend her body and show more arc. i turned her whole body to a more angular pose.(figures laying down look better when you angle them). i eliminated harsh values at her upper mouth and her chin. this cleans up her face,,,,,unless you're looking to show that kind of strong harsh lighting. instead of making a value statement as you did, may i suggest that you make a color statement instead. that is,,,rather than making dark value shadow at the mouth and chin, keep the values almost the same as the light on her face but use a different color to differentiate the planes,,,as i did. i did this to her breast as well. after all this , there was something bothering me about the pose. the body still didn't have that angle i was looking for. i realized that if i cut into her arms i'd get more angulariy. there was a roundness to her arms that was fighting the angle of the pose. and i sloped her side more rather than show the muscle behind her breast...i did the klimpt thing for filler.....milt
ps...on second look, it may be interesting to see the angle of your head on my body redo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/PortSSredo3.jpg

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited March 03, 2000).]