PDA

View Full Version : Joan's October Sketchbook Challenge - Bits of This and That

Joan T
10-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I decided to use the same kind of sketchbook that I'm using for my NY journal. There are only 12 pages, so I went through my other journals like this one and carefully cut out a some of those unused pages. Then I carefully put them in the back of this one, slipping them into the spiral. I will divide each page into two sections with masking tape, so I will have a total of 31 sections, one for each day in the month.

I gave it the title "Bits of This and That" so I can pretty much put anything in it...scavenger hunt items, WDE event sketches, plein air pieces...just anything.

Joan T
10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
This is the title section and the first sketch for the month. This display was outside the Stop & Shop supermarket near me. I changed the background so it didn't look like a boring building. It was raining out when I painted this, so I was sitting in my car facing the store.

Joan T
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Yesterday, Oct. 2 I spent the day with a plein air group in Sag Harbor, NY. I did a larger painting in the morning and then the 5 of us made a stop in town to pee (That was the most important reason to head into town. lol) and have lunch. After lunch we went over near the town pier. This windmill is the visitor's center.

denyalle
10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
These look wonderful! What a great start Joan!

JTMB
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi Joan! :wave: Great to see you jump in here, and you're off to a wonderful start, as we all would expect. Great title page, and gorgeous windmill! You sure nail the architectural subjects with a great combination of a sketchbook feel yet really accurate.

virgo68
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey Joan! What a great start, the first one looks quite moody with the lovely dark background and Sag Harborlooks like a nice day out :)

(neat idea to tape it all up and get it ready ahead of time - no excuses now...... lol)

eyepaint
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Lovely journal. Great start. I'm trying to picture you inserting pages into the spiral carefully ... using tweezers? LOL :) :) :)

DrDebby
10-03-2010, 08:56 PM
That's a lot of work getting extra pages into the spiral.

Beautiful paintings.

rmcbuckeye
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Very nice! I almost bought that exact watercolor pad. Almost! :) Looking forward to seeing your work!

RainySea
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Joan. . . two beautiful first paintings. I love the supermarket display, its SOOO October :)

robertsloan2
10-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Joan, thank you for joining in! That's a fantastic sketchbook, so cool you added pages to have 31 for the month. I like the intro page, it's lively and colorful. The windmill painting is incredible! Love it!

I'll go post your thread into the Index now.

Chuckcamo
10-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Your sketchbook is looking great Joan, like how the windmill is done, you got the shadows and all... great job.

Epoh
10-04-2010, 02:22 AM
absolutely beautiful! look forward to seeing more :)

sarales
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Joan, these are lovely!! I'm glad you're going to participate in this challenge and I look forward to seeing the rest of your sketchbook. :)

loobyteacher
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you have a very nice style. I look forward to seeing more!!

Jakesgram
10-04-2010, 01:07 PM
What a great start Joan! I love the visitor's center, especially. You are certainly doing great plein air work these days. I'll be watching with interest.

Jean

Joan T
10-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Denyalle - Thanks!!

John - I almost regretted starting the windmill.:evil: It helped that part ran off the page and I didn't have to sketch the whole thing. lol

Jackie - Thanks. It was a perfect day of sketching in Sag Harbor...cool with a touch of sunshine.

EP & Rachel - Thanks. Getting the pages out of the other book and inserted into this one was a challenge. I used the end of a pen to tuck the pieces underneath the spiral in the new sketchbook.:)

Rainy - Thank you. I could probably fill the entire sketchbook with pumpkin displays.

Robert - Thanks so much. I didn't know there was an index. Does that help?

Chuck - Thank you!

Epoh - Since I love plein air work much of it will be done that way...but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Thanks.

Leslie - I had a hard time resisting this project. lol Thanks.

Colleen - Thanks so much.

Jean - Thanks. I am really enjoying plein air painting lately.

Here is my sketch from yesterday. I sat in my car outside this house to do this one...hoping someone wouldn't call the police.:wink2: This was done in Sayville, which is a lovely town right on the south shore of Long Island, just minutes from me.

denyalle
10-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Your house looks so inviting. Great job! It looks like you, or someone in your household enjoys gardening based on all the different plants you've got going on in front :)

DrDebby
10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
"Honest officer, I was just sketching the lovely foliage." :lol:

Beautiful painting. Glad you weren't disturbed.

virgo68
10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
That is dedication to the challenge - risking arrest :lol:

Your work is lovely as always Joan :wink2:

Vivien Maloney
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Great start to your sketchbook Joan. I like the look of your Canson sketchbook. I've always found Canson materials good to use, so I'll be following this to see how you like it. Lovely plein air paintings (they always are!)

WC Lee
10-05-2010, 05:42 AM
great stuff :) really good start ..

Greeble
10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
oooh, I love windmills, such a lovely painting of one

RainySea
10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
A sketchbook full of pumpkin displays would be pretty! I've not seen to many around here.

What a quaint little house. . . its adorable. I can picture you in the car painting it, too. . . wonder if folks thought you were a private detective or cop doing some survailance :)

WYSIWYG
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Love the Sag Harbour one, I keep trying to do this style and not quite making it! Yours is lovely!

Joan T
10-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Denyalle - Thanks. The house isn't mine...just belongs to some stranger. I ride around until I find something I like to sketch.

Debby - Thanks. lol I have had people come over to check on what I was doing sitting in front of their neighbor's house before.

Jackie - People usually don't even notice I'm sitting there. I wonder what would happen if I was sitting in my art chair. Thanks.

Viv - Thanks. I've filled up many Canson sketchbooks. I like them for quick outdoor sketching.

WC Lee - Thanks.

Jen - Many thanks.

Rainy - Thank you!

WYSIWYG - Thanks.

Yesterday was a damp, rainy day here on Long Island so I wasn't inspired to sit anywhere to sketch. I did this last night from my own setup. It was one of the items for the current Scavenger Hunt. I titled it "Full Box."

Today is another wet day, so I may be sketching inside again.

RainySea
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
ooh, gorgeous shells. esp love the colors in the one off to the side. You have such great control of watercolor. I am striving to learn that!

Epoh
10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
love the stranger's house

and your "full box" is simply gorgeous! I just love your watercolor work...ok, now I need to practice my watercolors more-you inspire me :)

virgo68
10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
ooooh, loving the colours in the shells, well - all of it actually! that shell off to the top right is spot on ;)

eyepaint
10-06-2010, 12:58 AM
The shell and pine cone still life is superb.

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Very pretty shells. The pine cone is awesome. (From someone who has failed many times trying to capture a pine cone.)

Chuckcamo
10-06-2010, 01:57 AM
your sketchbook is looking great.... I like how you use the pen and watercolor on the house. :)

denyalle
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Nice work on the shells, the colors are so right.

Joan T
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Rainy - Thanks. I pretty much paint something almost every day since I retired 5 years ago. It has helped a lot.

Epoh - Thanks.

Jackie - Thank you. I had a hard time deciding what to put into the still life.

EP - That pinecone is from a past scavenger hunt. lol Thanks.

Chuck - Thanks so much.

Denyalle - Thank you!

Yesterday was a dreary day here, but finally in the afternoon the showers stopped so I headed down to the Sayville dock. There is always something interesting to sketch there.

I am heading up to visit my sister and her family in Maine tomorrow and won't be back to post until next Tuesday. I will be able to comment, but I can't post from her computer. I hope I can find some lobsters and interesting new scenery to sketch. See you all when I get back.

sarales
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh, I love those shells. The one on the right is so colorful! Love them.

virgo68
10-06-2010, 06:14 PM
The dock is neat, that red roof sets everything off nicely. Have a great trip, I know you will be adding to that Maine sketchbook of yours ;)

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
My, this is lovely. You pen work is fantastic.

JTMB
10-07-2010, 02:14 AM
The dock scene is outstanding!

Greeble
10-07-2010, 06:52 AM
That is a stunning dock painting

WYSIWYG
10-07-2010, 08:26 AM
The dock painting is lovely but the seashells and pinecone.... oh my, just stunning!

RainySea
10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
beautiful dock scene. . . how do you manage to get such straight lines with WC?? Have a great trip to Maine!

sarales
10-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I love the dock scene!! Wow. Have a terrific visit with your sister!

WC Lee
10-08-2010, 03:07 AM
very nice :) wondering, do you do a rough sketch first or just start with the watercolor?

flashviv
10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Your pages are beautiful, the shells really grabbed my attention and I like this dock scene a lot too, especially the perspective of the boats and dock.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi Joan,

Just LOVE the pumpkins, such a perfect first page!!!!

The windmill is as always STUNNING!!!!!

The House in Sayville is beautiful and soooo detailed!!!

Full Box - PERFECT and beautiful!

Sayville Dock - AMAZING linework, so straight and clean!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

eyepaint
10-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Great job on the complicated boat scene.

Vivien Maloney
10-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Love that boat painting!

Joan T
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Many thanks to all of you for your comments. I've got a lot to post to update this journal when I get back from Maine. It is just too difficult to upload anything on my sister's tiny laptop, but I have been able to check out lots of the journals while I'm here. I'm heading home tomorrow morning, and if I get a chance I will post what I've done on Tuesday or Wednesday. See you all then!

jaforsyth
10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Joan your work is very inspiring! I somehow missed your entries, and they are just wonderful. Your plein air work is very enjoyable!

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
get out the frames and frame these little gems!

Joan T
10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Jeanne - Thanks so much!

Colleen - I'd go broke framing all these little ones. lol Thanks.

These were done before I left for Maine.

Joan T
10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Just so you know I wasn't just sitting around talking up in Maine here are some that I over the last few days.

The first one is of the passengers on the Cross Sound Ferry from Orient Point, Long Island to New London, Connecticut. The ferry ride cuts off a lot of time I actually have to spend in the car driving. The trip isn't any shorter timewise, but it feels like it is, cause I can relax. The second sketch is of one of the coves near Boothbay Harbor, Maine. The third is one of the many farmstands filled with pumpkins for sale. All of these are watercolors and ink.

Joan T
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
The first is of the Round Pond Lobster Dock, a wonderful place to get one of my favorite foods.

The second is of a marsh area in Wells, Maine. I stopped there yesterday on the drive home.

The final Maine sketch was done of the rocks near the Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine. I only had about 35 minutes to paint something there and drive to Connecticut for my 6 pm ferry, so I knew not to even attempt to do the lighthouse itself. The rocks were enough I think.

DrDebby
10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I am in awe of your talent and quality of paintings. These are just stunning.

jmb57
10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
i always love seeing your work Joan.
you have a lovely style and use of colour which inspire me.
janine

JTMB
10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Wow and double wow! Fantastic stuff, Joan! I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite, they are all so strong.

sarales
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
These are wonderful, Joan. I love looking at your work!

Joan T
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Debby, Janine, John, & Leslie - Many thanks to all of you for your comments. Can you tell I like painting plein airs?

Vivien Maloney
10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Joan - Yes, I can tell! You make such a great job of them. Love them all but particularly the Brookhaven Park one.

sarales
10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
We can definitely tell! :)

Chuckcamo
10-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Great work Joan, that is some wonderful scenery up there...

WYSIWYG
10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
These are gorgeous - we're in spring here but it's like having a little piece of autumn and halloween back. :) The pumpkins particularly. :D

rmcbuckeye
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Love the pumpkins!!

vhere
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
somebody MUST have gone out from Norfolk and named this place after the home they'd emigrated from - as Wells Marsh is so much like Wells next the Sea marshes here :)

great sketches

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi Joan,

ALL of these PAINTINGs are just beyond BEAUTIFUL, everyone is STUNNING and just OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

eyepaint
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
These are terrific. I'll admit I like your paintings the best when they have some ink work in them instead of pure watercolour :)

virgo68
10-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Love all your work Joan, it is great but my favourite is the farmstand! I keep going back to it for some reason (?!).

You have mastered plein air painting, so much so, I am sure if I went to these places I would recognise them from your work :)

mhimeswc
10-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for telling me about the October sketchbooks. I haven't checked in here in a while, so I've missed all of those. Your sketches are great. I really like that windmill.

I had fun doing the sketchcrawl with you today.

Mickey

flashviv
10-18-2010, 04:05 AM
Lovely work Joan, I really like your landscapes.

Joan T
10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Viv, Leslie, Chuck, WYSIWYG, Rachel, Vivien, Stacey, EP, Jackie, Mickey, & Linda - Thanks for your kind words.

Here are the latest ones. As you can see most were done in plein air. "Art Supplies" was done for the scavenger hunt and so was the "Suffolk County Farm." I've been pretty good at getting one done in this sketchbook just about every day. I did miss one day, but did 2 sketches another day.

mhimeswc
10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Love the new ones, especially the ice cream shop and the carnival. They speak to the kid in me.

DrDebby
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Wonderful paintings. The goats are so cute.

sarales
10-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Good for you, Joan! I've come nowhere near getting one into the sketchbook every day. However, I've been having fun with the ones I've done!
I love the ice cream parlor and the goats!!

robertsloan2
10-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Joan, I just surfed through four pages catching up - wow! I love all of your buildings, every one of them has perfect perspective, wonderful character and realism. I like the way your penwork accents the watercolor perfectly. Gorgeous wild landscapes too, especially Brookhaven Park. One of my favorites is that Scavenger Hunt sketch, shells and pine cone, Full Box, it was awesome. That and your art supplies sketch on this page are perfect still lifes, with an extraordinary balance. Well done!

JTMB
10-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Another great set of sketches, Joan!

Joan T
10-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Mickey - Thanks. I've always wanted to sketch a carnival scene, and even took photos of one last year. I think that carnival had the same dinosaur.

Debby - Thank you.

Leslie - Thanks. I almost always paint something every day, but often I work on something not for the sketchbook. It has been a challenge to do something in this every day.

Robert - Thanks so much. I'm having fun with this book, and am pushing myself to do more than I usually do...such pressure! lol

John - Thank you!

vhere
10-19-2010, 03:28 PM
a lovely selection of subjects. You've been working hard!

eyepaint
10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Love those goats :)

virgo68
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
lovely stuff!

Joan T
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Vivien, EP, & Jackie - Thanks!! Some days it is a challenge getting one done in this sketchbook. lol

Here are two more.
"The Cider Mill" had so much out front, I really had to be selective.
"Longwood Estate Pond" was done when I went out with my plein air group. The property has a historic house, barns, a tiny schoolhouse, and this wonderful pond. I really wanted to do a larger piece, but I had an appointment and knew I had to leave early, so it was perfect for the journal.

RainySea
10-21-2010, 04:32 PM
both are lovely but the Cider Mill is my fav. How did you get the white wording? Mask or gouache maybe? BEAUTIFUL both of them.

Joan T
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Rainy - Thanks. I used white gouache for the lettering. It was too small an area to try using masking. I've tried using a white gel pen but always seem to clog the pen and it stops writing. lol

Greeble
10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
What gorgeous fall colors!

DrDebby
10-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Beautiful fall pictures. I can see why you'd want to spend more time at the pond. Just lovely.

sarales
10-21-2010, 10:20 PM
These are both lovely!!! Love the Cider Mill!

Joan T
10-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Jen - Thanks. The colors are really starting to get nice here.

Debby - Thank you. I will definitely try to get back there.

Leslie - Thanks so much!

My Wed evening sketch group (which met at 5 because it is getting dark so early here) is based in Patchogue, so we meet there or near there to sketch. This is the revitalized theater on Main Street. It has a lot of good productions and activities. They are hosting a Fall Arts Festival there on Sunday.

I didn't get to sketch outdoors yesterday, so I looked around for something to put into a still life for the second painting.

robertsloan2
10-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Love the cider mill painting, that one's so spectacular. Couldn't tell you why but it's so cheerful and exciting, makes me want to be there. Gorgeous autumn scene of the pond, that one's a favorite overall. Beautiful still life of those vegetables, they look tempting too and I don't even like vegetables. Well, onions and garlic I do, but they have to be cooked! Good rendering of the theater marquee too. Great entries!

I'm glad the sketchbook challenge is pushing you to paint more. It's amazing, doing this much this fast seems to be improving even your phenomenal skills - your colors are stronger, your lines confident, washes smooth or textured, everything's just a little more perfect. You gained a lot on your trip but these are continuing your progress - it blows me away. But that's the fun of painting, isn't it? The constant growth, every time a new achievement.

mhimeswc
10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
The cider mill is super! I like the theater too, as well as the veggies.

DrDebby
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Great painting of the theater. The veggies look delicious.

eyepaint
10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I love the nutcracker. Wonderful still life of veggies :)

Chuckcamo
10-22-2010, 09:16 PM
The Cider Mill is very fitting for this time of month, so is the longwood estate, great job on the theater and vegetables too... :)

Joan T
10-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Robert, Mickey, Debby, EP, & Chuck - Thanks so much! I really hesitated about doing the sketchbook for October, but I'm glad that I did. It is fun to push yourself and get more done than you thought you could. Now I'm trying to decide what to do for my November sketchbook. lol I have a few ideas.

Loxley
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Joan, great idea you came up with and the art work is really good. I am so inspired now!

RainySea
10-24-2010, 01:26 AM
oh WOW . . . I love those veggies. you do amazing watercolors

vhere
10-24-2010, 05:16 AM
the theatre does have that feeling of anticipation you get going to see a play/ballet whatever :)

Joan T
10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Loxley - Thanks. Glad I'm inspiring you.

Rainy - Thank you so much!

Viv - I just came back from the theater. They were hosting an art festival there today.

virgo68
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Joan, beautiful stuff! I like the still life of the vegetables though - has a nice touch about it :)

Joan T
10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Jackie - Thank you!

Here are the next 4 sketches.
The first is of the entrance to "Clark Botanic Gardens." It was cold out so I sat in my car to paint that one.
Next is "Brookhaven Dock." I had painted at this marina a few times so I wanted a different view and walked all the way in. Then I found out how cold and windy it was, and wished I had brought my heavy sweatshirt from the car.
"Autumn Landscape" was done for the WDE from a photo by "justjean." I needed to get something done for the WDE and it was already dark outside. I think this is the only one that I didn't do from life in my sketchbook for Oct.
"Artist Lake" (yes, that is the real name of the lake) was done in plein air...partly outside and then finished inside my "car studio."

DrDebby
10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Splendid as always. Your watercolors are always an inspiration to look at.

Chuckcamo
10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
very nice batch of sketches.... whah! Artist lake! like the colors, looks like a beautiful place...

sarales
10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh, I love these fall colors!! These are lovely!

mhimeswc
10-27-2010, 08:32 AM
All four are terrific! I like the way the gate sort of welcomes you into the botanic garden one. The reflections in the WDE one are wonderful. Love all the fall colors.

JTMB
10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow, Joan, I'm drooling over the last batch of work you've posted since I last checked in! Great stuff, as usual! If I had to pick favorites, they would probably be Autumn Landscape and Artist Lake. Keep up the great work.

Joan T
10-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Debby - Thank you.

Chuck - It was a peaceful and colorful spot. Thanks.

Leslie - Thanks so much!

Mickey - Thank you! Hope you've been painting.

John - Glad you have some favorites. Thanks!

RainySea
10-27-2010, 04:57 PM
all beautiful. . . I love the water in the dock painting. And the reflections of the trees in the stream.

Vivien Maloney
10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
They're all beautiful Joan! I tried doing watercolor sketches plein air, as you do but discovered that I'm not very good at it. I discovered it's far more difficult than I thought. I tried to put too much into the sketch. I think simplfying everything is the most difficult of all. You do a wonderful job on your plein air watercolor, and I keep hoping I'll learn from you.

vhere
10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
It's a matter of practice Viv - I remember how hopeless my first attempts were so don't be put off.

a great series

eyepaint
10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Wonderful dock. Thanks for the exchange, Viv and Viv, regarding practice for plein aire watercolours. I'm fine with using ink in plein aire but so far my wc are used in a "studio" environment.

Joan T
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Rainy - Thanks!

Viv & Viv - Thank you. Sometimes it is hard to simplify the subject when you're out in plein air, but it is true that it does get easier. And I definitely think it is worth it.

EP - Thanks!

I have a few more to do for the month. Somehow there are 3 days left and I only have one area for a sketch. lol I guess I did more than one per day.

robertsloan2
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Jackie - Thank you!

Here are the next 4 sketches.
The first is of the entrance to "Clark Botanic Gardens." It was cold out so I sat in my car to paint that one.
Next is "Brookhaven Dock." I had painted at this marina a few times so I wanted a different view and walked all the way in. Then I found out how cold and windy it was, and wished I had brought my heavy sweatshirt from the car.
"Autumn Landscape" was done for the WDE from a photo by "justjean." I needed to get something done for the WDE and it was already dark outside. I think this is the only one that I didn't do from life in my sketchbook for Oct.
"Artist Lake" (yes, that is the real name of the lake) was done in plein air...partly outside and then finished inside my "car studio."

These four are amazing. I bumped them forward so people wouldn't have to click back on checking the thread. It's wonderful! I like your WDE landscape a lot, but the others are so glorious. The botanic gardens one draws me right in, that's one of my favorites. Cool name, Artist Lake, and you sure did justice to it!

virgo68
10-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Your usual brilliant stuff Joan, the colours in the autumn landscape are stunning - the washes are just right :)

Joan T
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Robert & Jackie - Thanks so much!

I did get to finish every section of the October sketchbook. Here are the others.

"Longwood Estate" is a location where I spent a few days painting last week. My Tuesday plein air group went there and then I went back again on Thursday because the colors were so great.
"Sachem Library Garden" is right outside my local library. They created the garden so you could sit outside with reading materials or use the wi-fi with your computer. In the warmer weather they have concerts and shows out there. I painted it from my car since it was drizzling out.

Joan T
11-01-2010, 02:42 PM
"Corey Beach" was painted from my beach chair on the sand. It was sunny but by the time I got there the wind had picked up and I only lasted as long as it took to paint this. Behind the trees there is a marina.

"Lake View" was done at one of the many small lakes I'm slowly discovering in this area. The autumn colors have been so great!

Now I'll have to actually decide on what I'll be doing for November!

robertsloan2
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
These four are wonderful! Your colors are glowing and your accuracy is gorgeous. I love the depth on them and the details on the barn, the sense of place and light, everything about them.

Yay for your November challenge to paint without penciling first (read it in the Sign Up thread). There's something clean and lovely about a watercolor without pencil lines. I do that sometimes but it's a lot tougher! Go you!

RainySea
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
beautiful. . . I especially love the one of Corey Beach
You do such wonderful watercolor sketches. . . I want to get better at those

DrDebby
11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Awesome. Love the fall colors. Congrats on your finish for the challenge.

virgo68
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Congratulations on finishing the challenge! :)

The last four are lovely, the library garden sounds wonderful (I use my local library a lot and wish they had something like that). I do enjoy those fall colours very much and love the red in the the barn. What a great sketchbook!

sarales
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
These are wonderful! congratulations on finishing the challenge and doing such beautiful work! (as always!)

vhere
11-02-2010, 06:49 AM
autumn colours here too - congratulations on finishing :)

eyepaint
11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Congrats on finishing! I sure do love it when you add ink to your pieces.

Joan T
11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Robert, Rainy, Debby, Jackie, Leslie, Vivien, & EP - Thanks so much for all your comments and support. I really enjoyed doing this...even though going through everyone's sketchbooks takes a lot of time. lol