PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Marlene

MichaelRH
02-25-2000, 01:10 PM
This is a painting of my wife's oldest daughter. It is oil on canvas, about 5'X 3 1/2' wide. It sold about two years ago..but at bruin70 suggestion..thought I'd post a piece.
At the time, Marlene was a dancer, and needed photos for her portfolio. My wife is also an artist, and we are ALL very supportive of each other's creativity and artistic goals.
I work from the model, but quite often take many photos, and will use them as reference. I do a number of sketches/drawings, then will often do small oil/color/value studies on canvas panels..prior to a LARGE oil painting. Thank you---everyone here at WetCanvas for helping to make this such a great website..I feel like family..and I'm a new visitor. (Good to see you Mich451 and MALARKEY in chat last night!!)

Just a note..this painting is not representative of much of my work..I'm leaning toward more expressive drawings and paintings..(but 95% of my work is figurative and involves the female form)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Marlene.jpg

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited February 25, 2000).]

bruin70
02-25-2000, 04:52 PM
The cropping is nice,,,creative. It makes the whole portrait more personnal,,,as opposed to pulling back and showing more background. And I like the way the form on the right plays with the edge of the canvas. You have two definite light sources here and I think the figure would look rounder if you differentiated the light sources. You have one on the front that looks like reflected light,,,,,and one from the side/back that looks like the main light source. A warm/cool treatment could be in order….your choice. Here,,,the reflected looks warm and the main light looks cool. I see a bit of it by the inside of her right arm. .this would be a tough nut when rendering the blouse that looks satin-like….a lot of work ,,,very intricate.. the good thing about warm/cool is that you can keep both values close, making neither lighter or darker than the other,,,,because the warm/cool will create enough difference. Now,,,to be picky…I like her angular pose. To push this a bit more, I would straightened and lengthened her left(our right) arm more. Both arms, as they are now, are static and symetrical.. this fights the dynamic of her pose. You could straighten the arm and still use the sleeve folds to play with the canvas edge. .i'd define what she's sitting on a little more. I'd have made one knee a bit higher than the other,,,they're both similar right now. Would have added to the pose also. Her left(our right) hand looks curvy like the sleeve that covers it. I would have given the hand a bit more boney sharpness,,,as you did with the other hand.. her left(our right) shoulder,,,,it's hard to tell if it is lowered next to where the hair rests.or if it starts high next to her face. If it starts by her face I would part the hair there, or at least show that it starts high. I think the confusion here is that you started seem to round the shoulder a bit as it approaches her hair…if that is so, if the shoulder starts there, then I'd show the shoulder cutting into the form of the hair. Nice painting…..milt…..and welcome.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

MichaelRH
02-25-2000, 05:25 PM
(Whew..!!!!) as I dab the perspiration from my forehead..thank you Milt so much for your comments. You know..it is so nice to see someone REALLY look at a piece of work..and it is very obvious that that you see a great deal, and THINK about many elements in a figure/composition...that, frankly..I didn't spend time with. I will spend that time from here on out...as I believe (as you already KNOW!)..that is just those details..the subtle points of a composition..that (can) take it beyond the ordinary.
(Why was I so nervous) about posting this and having YOU see it...well, I guess it comes from so much respect for the images you create. Perhaps you get bored with all the praise..but there are some things in this world that are very, very meaningful..that generate energy and emotion.. (I know you know what I'm trying to say here Milt) Thank you so much for taking time to be here for us (me!!!!)...it means more than I can say.
Hope to catch you in chat soon..Mike

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited February 25, 2000).]

bruin70
02-26-2000, 03:01 AM
well, in that case rh, let me add one more thing.....the two sidelights on her hair(our right) are similiar. i'd change one. composition and color are two very personal choices. what you want to avoid in composition, however, is to make areas geometric/symetrical by repetition or alignment. the light on her air is geometric by repetition. the two legs are repetitive, as is the hand being repetitious with the sleeve, these things are easier to spot if you flip your painying upside down. the you see everything in abstract...milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited February 26, 2000).]