PDA

View Full Version : Birdie Book - Oct Sketchbook Challenge - Linda V

flashviv
10-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Well Rob certainly has started some kind of madness here. It is fabulous to see everyone having a go at this challenge.

My sketchbook is very modest compared to some of yours. It is a moleskin 4" x 8" with approx 40 pages. My challenge to myself is to learn to use a set of Derwent Graphitint pencils I bought ages ago (they are kind of a graphite watercolour pencil). My theme is birds (I am mad bird watcher in non-art life!).

Here is page number one: Finch.

JTMB
10-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Linda and welcome! I'm the other mad birder in this forum, so I'm very happy to have the company- :clap: ! Really looking forward to seeing your avian subjects here. It's midnight here now, got back late as the band had a gig tonight...but I will be up at 5:15 am tomorrow because I have to do a monthly bird count at a park tomorrow morning, and I wouldn't want to miss that now, would I?

To quote another birder from my area: May all your birds be identified!

flashviv
10-03-2010, 03:06 AM
I like that quote John and promise that I will steal it and use it shamelessly amongst my birdie buddies! Good luck with the bird count tomorrow.

WC Lee
10-03-2010, 04:58 AM
great start :)

virgo68
10-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Welcome Linda, that is a great start, beautiful colours! Looking forward to seeing what you do next.....

WYSIWYG
10-03-2010, 07:20 AM
What a cool finch! Love the way you framed the sketch to take up the page as well!

robertsloan2
10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Linda, what a great start! I love the pose you've got that bird in. Welcome to the challenge! I'll post your thread to the Index now.

Epoh
10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
love the colors and the layout :)

...I like finches..I used to have one years ago when I was in college..a Zebra finch, bought her at a yard sale. I loved that little bird, she'd sit on my shoulder all the time and she loved to eat Pringles crumbs! I was so sad when she passed away. I remember doing a sketch of her while she was perched on my toe as I laid on the couch...

thank you for sparking a wonderful memory :heart:

Greeble
10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
beautiful bird, and nice work with graphitint

RainySea
10-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Linda. . . what an adorable bird. Love the pose you have him in flying through the grass. Welcome to the challenge.

Vivien Maloney
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Welcome Linda. Beautiful start to your sketchbook! I love the compostion and the way he flying towards us through the foliage.

christinemlr
10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Linda. I love the different approach in colour and design. Good one.

denyalle
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Wonderful start, love the colors!

flashviv
10-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words, this is the first time I have particpated in something like this here and started my VERY OWN THREAD! I thought that may be no-one would talk to me and was a bit nervous.

Loved your story about your little zebra finch Epoh, thanks for sharing and glad that the image kindled some good memories.

This challenge has me very inspired to get my sketchbook filled in a month and to do some art everyday, which is what it is all about, actually doing art. I would hate to think about how much time I spend thinking and procrastinating about doing some art.

eyepaint
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
He did indeed start the madness. Love the startled expression on your finch's face. Looking forward to your more of your work :)

DrDebby
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Wonderful bird.

Don't be scared, people on WC are very supportive.

loobyteacher
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
birds are sooo interesting, and you have so many varieties plus male and female! We will be looking forward to see more of our feathered friends!

Joan T
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Linda - Great job on your bird...love the color. I will be back to see more. Glad you decided to do a sketchbook and join us.

vhere
10-04-2010, 02:35 PM
there's a good sense of movement in this one - and 'feels' bigger than the tiny moleskine which is, of course, a good thing :)

flashviv
10-08-2010, 03:33 AM
here are my next two pages :eek: I am going to have to get a go on to get this book filled by the end of the month!!

this is my rendition of snipes and a cassowary

I am being very heavy handed with the coloured pencil and water, the thin pages of this journal are only just coping.

virgo68
10-08-2010, 05:27 AM
very nice work Linda - looking great!

RainySea
10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
beautiful bird in the water. . . great work with the wc pencils.

Epoh
10-08-2010, 11:06 AM
these are great! I love the colors and line quality :)

vhere
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I like the intensity of colour - jewelled :)

DrDebby
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Delightful birds. The environments are wonderful too.

JTMB
10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Great bird drawings, Linda! Shorebirds are great subjects to draw. For non-bird folks reading the thread, the cassowary is a very big and flightless bird - not as big as an emu or ostrich (at least I don't think so) but very large. If you have some more specific info on that species, it would be great to learn more about it. Keep the birds coming! :)

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Linda,

The Finch is STUNNING and such an unusual "pose" to draw/paint from!

The Snipes are GORGEOUS, beautiful colouration and depth.

The Cassowary is just WOW!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

Chuckcamo
10-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Your sketchbook is looking good, like your lines and colors...:) keep up the great work.

eyepaint
10-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Ha! Love the front-on view of that comical face!!!

flashviv
10-10-2010, 12:18 AM
John, the Cassowary stands between 1.5 - 1.75m high and is a bit scary. They live in the far north Queensland rainforests. Like lots of birds they are are super protective of their young and there are stories about of them disemboweling people with their massive legs and clawed feet! I have only seen them once, the blues, purples and reds on their skin is beautiful - almost irredescant. I survived this sighting with my belly intact.

Here are another couple of pages.

The Maran rooster if from the photographs posted at the Monthly Pen & Ink Project here at WC.

The second bird is a Black Honeyeater, I have only ever seen the female who is a dull brown colour, but does have the very big strong beak. It will be a very exciting day for me when I see the male, they are not a common bird in the area where I live.

Vivien Maloney
10-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Your bird sketches are great! Love the Cassowary sketch. They look just like your sketch. I've seen Cassorwarys when we've been on holiday in Australia, and they are very impressive. And yes, they can be extremely dangerous.

christinemlr
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I think you're doing a great job with the watercolour pencils on these pages. Lovely to see all the different takes.

DrDebby
10-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Wonderful job on the rooster and honeyeater.

I hope you see a male Black Honeyeater. The long curved beak is interesting. Does it dip into flowers for nectar like a hummingbird?

jaforsyth
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Beautiful bird sketches - love the colors!

WYSIWYG
10-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Ohhh another bird person! :) Very nice on all of them - the Maran rooster made me do a double-take as they are very, VERY rare here in Aus with only a handful of breeders working on saving the breed from remenant flocks. Until last year that any still existed here was a tightly held secret!

JTMB
10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Two more great bird sketches! Would love to see a honeyeater of any sort!

RainySea
10-10-2010, 10:54 PM
very cool birds, esp the chicken, like the motion and the stones

Chuckcamo
10-11-2010, 02:02 AM
the rooster and Honeyeater look great!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Linda,

LOVE the Rooster and the female Black Honeyeater is GORGEOUS - both perfectly rendered!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

flashviv
10-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments, it is so rewarding to post the sketches and get such positive feedback - I think I :heart: you guys!!

Debby the honeyeater does use that long curved beak to get nectar out of flowers, they also hawk for insects.

eyepaint
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Ha that rooster fellow is so handsome :)

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
nice bird studies

jmb57
10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
great bird sketches,
i have a greencheek myself, cheeky fellow, but good company, will have to try sketching him

Carole A
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Linda ~ Glad I didn't know about the Cassowary when I was up in Cairnes. Bad enough was the dragon whose body and tail disected a golf cart trail. I was alone in the golf cart, rounded a curve and there he was crossing in front of me. I was paralyzed, and when he finally crept off into the brush, I stomped on the pedal of that cart and burnt rubber as far and fast as I could.

Shuddering, Carole

flashviv
10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Carole, I am so glad you survived the dragon!

Here are my two latest sketches. The way I am going I can see that my Oct Challenge will continue through November to get my sketchbook filled!

The family of birds are called Grey Crown Babblers, they are listed as a vulnerable species here in Australia, their demise is suspected to be mainly due to habitat loss, they like to live in areas that we humans like to live and farm in. They are gorgeous birds, they live in a family group of up to a dozen birds and only ever have one breeding female, so everyone gets to bring up the babies. They are very noisy, they chatter amongst themselves all the time. It is a joy to watch a family group of these.

The image of the Kookaburra is recreated from the cover of Neville Cayley's 'What Bird is That?', it is a coffee table sized bird identification book with beautiful drawings by Cayley. We owned this book long before we ever became bird watchers, I think it was just one of those books that all Aussie's own sometime in their life. The kookaburra is a well known voice in the Australian bush, his call is like a loud, raucous laugh and when one Kooka starts laughing all his mates join in, so they are a rowdy lot.

JTMB
10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
So glad to see more of your birds, Linda! Both images are really nicely done. I like your portrayal of the communal/cooperative aspect of the birds group. The cooperative breeding species like this are quite rare in our part of the world - it's very interesting behavior. Keep 'em coming! :clap:

DrDebby
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Marvelous sketches. Great information about Australian birds.

virgo68
10-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Great stuff Linda.

robertsloan2
10-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Catching up after the wretched long cold/flu thing that knocked out my commenting, I'm impressed. Love the bird sketches and paintings you've posted.

Great cassowary and wading birds - especially the cassowary, itís magnificent. I recognized it at a glance, itís beautiful and accurate, so primeval. Cool red rooster and Black Honeyeater, that birdís fascinating and new to me. Kookaburra is fantastic. I recognized that one right off too, at least visually, though had to check the text to remember the name. Very cool Grey Crown Babblers, I love the varied poses and the way the whole flock is looking to the right except the one looking right at me - thatís a great arrangement, so lively!

Joan T
10-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Linda - Your bird sketches are amazing! I really love the one on the right in post #71, that rooster, and the family sitting on the branch!!!

RainySea
10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
wonderful bird paintings. . . love the one on the question mark :)

mhimeswc
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
What beautiful birds. My favorites are the snipes, and the cassowary, and the family of grey crown babblers.