PDA

View Full Version : Pastel question

veb
11-17-2002, 09:26 AM
I am new to pastels and recently expanded my collection to some Nupastels and Rembrandts. My question is...can you use the two together in a drawing...does it matter that one is harder or softer than the other? I haven't broken them in yet but would appreciate any advice!!

jackiesimmonds
11-17-2002, 09:37 AM
no problems mixing any brands of pastel. You will find, however, that when using hard OVER soft, you might not get the hard pastel to "take" ... it might well score lines into the soft pastel marks. So most pastellists begin with harder pastels, and move on to soft pastels after they have blocked in the main body of the picture.

Having said that, you CAN use hard over soft, you just need to find a "way" to do it that suits you. Experiment, that's the way to find out what you do, and don't like in your pics.

Jackie

AriadneArts
11-17-2002, 01:15 PM
I usually work from hard to soft, beginning with pastel pencils, then to Nupastels and on to the Rembrandts (which are a medium-soft pastel) and finally to the very soft pastels. But I often use hard over soft to sharpen up any lines and details at the finish. (I'm kinda detail oriented :))

There are no rules. As Jackie says, experiment and find what suits you.

Last night I did a quick piece for the weekend Drawing Event and I used oil pastel with dry. It was an experiment that worked. Here's a link if you want to take a look. The fish carving is Sennelier gold metallic oil pastel. Then I used pastel pencil for the details and highlighted the details with very soft (Unison) pale yellow dry pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72009 (http://)

Sorry, can't get the danged link to work. Anyway it's in this forum under the title Okayama Castle (detail).

veb
11-18-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Jackie and Eileen. This was a quick way for me to get an answer without having to read any books etc. or waste paper. Glad anything goes, basically! I do need to just sit down and use the darn things. They were an early Christmas present to myself but I have a commissioned portrait I need to start and I know once I start using the pastels, the portrait (which is in oils) will be pushed back even more.

Thanks again!

just dave
11-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Rembrandts are the cheapest of the good pastels and can be gotten in craft stores as well as art stores but consider adding some Unisons or Schminkes or Senneliers. Expensive, but the put the Rembrandts to shame when you need softness.
Rembrandts are my workhorse, though.