PDA

View Full Version : working from photos

Shari
11-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Can anyone give me some instruction on how to size a picture from a photo? A friend showed me a very complicated way to draw a grid over the paper first, but I would never have the patience to do that. How do you take a small photo, say 4 x 6 and get the proportions right on a 9 x 12 or 12 x 16. I have just been eyeballing it, but I am not getting my proportions right. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Shari

llis
11-16-2002, 07:16 PM
The easiest way is just to have it enlarged by a copy machine. If you don't have access to one, try your local library or office supply. They can do this for your in a few seconds. :)

Katherine J
11-16-2002, 09:47 PM
The no-cost way is to place your photo at the top left corner of your canvas (whatever) with two sides flush with the edges. Then take a ruler, place it on an angle going from the left top corner, through the bottom right and extending beyond as far as you want. Then you can draw a horizontal line that meets the angled line, and a vertical one going from that point to the top of the canvas. Does this make any sense - wish I could draw it for you, or had digital to show you. Anyway, your photo will then be in proportion to your canvas whatever size you choose to make it. What I do then is make tiny marks at the middle of each side and then halfway from that middle point to the side, so I've got 12 marks around the edges which divide the canvas into quarters and then I do the same on the photo. In other words, I don't actually draw the grid, just mark where those lines would be. This helps you position everything in the right place once you start to outline on the canvas.

Shari
11-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Thanks, this helps a lot, though I do wish I could see this as I am a visual person. I appreciate the help.

Shari

Katherine J
11-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Shari, if you can hang on a bit, I'll get the scanner from my husband's computer and scan a drawing of what I mean.

Katherine

Katherine J
11-16-2002, 10:52 PM
How's this, Shari? Does it make it any clearer? Please feel free to ask more questions if it's not clear. Hope you can read what it says!

Katherine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2002/Photo_scaling.jpg

Shari
11-17-2002, 03:32 AM
Katherine,

Thanks, this is very clear. I appreciate it. I will try it on my next picture. Also, do you ever trace your picture or use a projector to enlarge it onto the painting surface?

Shari

Katherine J
11-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi Shari

Personally, I've never traced (not in pastel, anyway) or projected a picture.
Good luck trying this system.

Katherine