PDA

View Full Version : Beauty by the Sea - I (Nude)

Urbanpoet
02-15-2000, 10:19 PM
I am working on this painting right now (for more than a week :-(.
Acrylic on a Stretched canvas (42 * 36)
I am not sure whether I am heading in the right direction with colors, contrast etc.
I decided to post this and ask the opinions before proceeding
Any comments or Critique suggestions to improve the painting is greatly appreciated

-Urbanpoet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/abeauty.jpg

[This message has been edited by Urbanpoet (edited February 16, 2000).]

henrik
02-16-2000, 07:18 PM
Big improvement Urbanpoet. Could you describe a little about what you want your painting to look like? Do you want a stylistic look (like Gauguin perhaps), or a realistic look?

If you are shooting for realism try to avoid using lines as if you are drawing. Look at her hands; there are distinctive lines there. Look at your own hand - there are no sharp lines - try to work it out with variation in value using the same color/hue(i.e. light, medium, dark tones). Look at the shadow made by the hand; paint that rather than the outline of the hand.

hands are difficult - so keep working!

Urbanpoet
02-16-2000, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your comments Sandi and Henrik.

Henrik, I want this painting to have a realistic look.
I like Paul Gauguin a lot and to a certain extent his painting “The Nobel Woman” is an inspiration for this painting. But I am not trying to emulate him.
Regarding hands and the body, Yes. I have to work on them and I will.

What I am more concerned here is, about the overall picture quality and how to make it more realistic?

-Urbanpoet

Rod
02-16-2000, 10:32 PM
Hi Urban ,
Yes you are doing well, contrast is better,
you did pick a difficult subject,
Keep up the good work,
Rod

henrik
02-17-2000, 07:58 AM
Urbanpoet, are you working from a photo/photos? or is this image imaginary?

One thing to start with is perhaps trying to get a feeling of more depth. Try to observe in other paintings or in nature how distant objects look - see how edges are softer and objects become lighter/more diffused. Objects closer to the view get richer in color and range of values.

Browse throught the lessons here at Wetcanvas as a starting point.

I think you will find quick reward in this area.

Good luck with your painting.

Mich451
02-17-2000, 07:35 PM
When I first looked at this painting, the flesh brushwork on the left arm reminded me of Mary Cassat's work. Check out some of her paintings of women, and you will see what I mean.

Urbanpoet
02-18-2000, 09:11 PM
Henrik, only the woman’s pose is based on a photograph. (The way she is sitting and posing). It is not a nude photo and I have changed the entire face, body and the hair and developed in to this woman. The location is my imagination.

Thanks for your advice and kind words. I will work and try to make this one a BETTER painting.

Thanks to all the people who’ve responded for their time and comments

- Urbanpoet

henrik
02-19-2000, 11:54 AM
Urbanpoet, here are some things you may want to take a look at.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/beauty-hl3.jpg
<UL>
Smudges on womans face look a bit like mud - think they are too dark.
The thighs and right arm make 3 paralell lines. Her right leg should have a different angle; seat yourself in this position and you will see what I mean.
Her behind is perhaps a bit too big
The nipples are placed quite low - you may want to flatter her by moving them upwards a bit
The rock looks flat (accentuated by the blanket - it is hanging straight down). Can you make it more 3 dimensional?
[/list]
The human form is indeed difficult to tackle - good luck with the beauty.

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited February 19, 2000).]