PDA

View Full Version : Zen's Oct Sketch Challenge

Zenica
10-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Hey guys,

I just moved to NZ, been here a week and a half now. I have a house rented in Mt. Wellington NZ, but I can't move in until the 5th. I am currently staying at a cottage for "in-between" renters. Most of my art supplies are in boxes or packed up and I don't have a scanner. I do have a camera so I can take some pictures of the sketches when I get to them.

I think this sketch challenge will be "interesting", and hard because everything is sort of up in the air. My sketchbook isn't exactly new but it has been refilled and bound to work for the challenge. I don't know how many pages it is... probably 150 or so.

Anyway, I'm going to try to do this, stick with me if you can! (if I can too lol)

Zenica

robertsloan2
10-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Wow! That's a lot of pages! Good luck on it - that's so cool. Photos are as good as scans, just draw a lot. You're three times braver than I am, I've only got 50 pages in mine.

loobyteacher
10-02-2010, 04:13 AM
woo hoo! cant wait to see the work!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-02-2010, 04:54 AM
150 pages???????? HOLLY SMOKES KID - YOUR NUTS :lol:

Looking forward to your first postings when you get the time and equipment!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

Zenica
10-02-2010, 06:06 AM
150 pages approximately, yes... Just before I left the states I combined three, half filled, Canson Spiral Sketchbooks. About 50 pages each that somehow were never completely filled :rolleyes:

I named the book before I left as My Favorite Things. A tribute to what I loved: things that have come with me or I left behind. I gave up a lot to come to where I am today. The worst was giving my pets to new homes because it cost too much of their lives to move them to NZ.:crying::(:eek::confused:

The strictness of the govt would cost about $12,000 to get them vet shots and tests to prove their health. They require it all done 6 months in advance and the pets have to under go boarding for 3 months. All together 9 months away from me and possibly in a cage... No, it just wasn't right. They all have great homes but I am honestly devastated to lose them.

I hope that this project will give me peace. I don't know if I will finish it, but I honestly need a pick me up. I'll post pictures in a few days :wave:

Zenica

10-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Honey I am sooooooo sorry to hear that! I KNOW how much it hurts to loss pets because you can't take them with you. So let this journal be a healing journal, sharing memories and hopes and dreams, and maybe in the future room for others!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

loobyteacher
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
so sorry you had to leave your pets. I can't imagine having to do that just because of a move. I hope sketching will bring you some peace and calm.

virgo68
10-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi Zenica, glad to hear you arrived and are settling in (kinda!). Yes, it sure is a challenging time for you but exciting at the same time. I am sorry to hear about your pets but I think I'd do the same in your position - I think you acted in their best interests.

So, good luck with the sketchbook and your new home. This could be an interesting collection of work and ideas to look back on in years to come ;)

denyalle
10-02-2010, 12:42 PM
WOW! That's a whole lot of pages, are you planning on doing just one side or both? I'm really sorry to hear about your pets, I still have difficulties with pets that my mom gave up without my permission, I always wonder what it'd be like if I still had them and of course it still hurts. They are such wonderful things to have in your life and they always bring a lot of happiness. I look forward to seeing sketches of your pets that you had to leave behind if you get them in your book.

Vivien Maloney
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Zen. Glad you've finally arrived here in New Zealand. I'm so sorry you had to give your pets to new homes, that would be devastating, as I know how much they meant to you. I hope you like it here and everything settles down into place and things go well for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new sketcbook drawings. Art always helps cope with life when things seem all too much. Hugs, Zen.

RainySea
10-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Zenica . . . wow, 150 pages! You are brave :)
Go!!!

poochemio
10-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm so sorry about your pets, but I agree life in a cage in a strange place for months was not cool. I had to give up a beloved dog because of a move once, I know how you feel. But you are doing the right thing, do some art, or in the case of your sketchbook, do alot of art! It will be a good way to explore your new surrounding with your sketchbook in hand. It may even help you to make some new friends. Good Luck
Margo

WC Lee
10-03-2010, 04:21 AM
I once had to give up my pet cat ... he probably in kitty heaven now :( It's sad having to leave them behind but sometimes there isn't really any other option. And I agree, having them live in a cage in a strange place for months wouldn't be good and probably would have devastated them.

anyhow, back to my initial shock when you said "150 pages", that is a lot of sketches for one month ...

Zenica
10-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi again,

Thank you all for your support. I take everything one step at a time.
In this one I'll only focus on Pitt pen, colored pencils and regular pencils.
I may do the occasional multi side (front/back) but mostly 1 sided.
It is a tough situation to get used to. We had four pets, most of them were rescues but they were family and it feels cold not having something laying on my feet or by my side.

Zen

WYSIWYG
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Wow... 150 pages, that is an awesome challenge! I'm sorry you had to leave your pets behind, it's such a hard choice to be faced with! I was lucky enough to be able to bring my 3 dogs with me when I moved to Aus but mainly because I was able to keep them with me in the US most of the time and they were able to be together in quarantine, which was only a short time with lots of visits. I had to leave my parrot though, as it's strictly illegal no matter what. I find sketching my guys who aren't with me does help me, I hope it's as healing for you. :)

jaforsyth
10-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Can't wait to see your work!

Joan T
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
150 pages!!!! You are one ambitious lady! I guess it will give you an outlet until you get all your art supplies unpacked. Sorry to hear you had to give up your pets...I'm sure that was hard. Will be watching for your sketches.

sarales
10-03-2010, 05:46 PM
150 pages, wow!! I know myself too well to attempt that. :)
I seriously sympathize about your pets. That one thing kept me from seriously pursuing the possibility of moving to England years ago when I could have done it and would have loved it! I couldn't bear to put my sweet cat into quaranteen for 6 months or to leave him behind, so I stayed here. Sometimes we face tough decisions, don't we? I hope you are able to get settled in quickly. I'm glad you found good homes for them!

eyepaint
10-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Glad you arrived safe and sound and are about to move into your "new" rented home. Hope to see your work soon :)

Zenica
10-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey guys,

I've been pretty busy lately with the new house and all. I finally got time to take pictures of my sketchbook pages. I didn't do all of them, maybe 12 or 13 pages total now, but some I skipped because they were dry runs or couldn't read them with the camera.

pictures listed below in order

1. Face drawn off Mag in Docs office.
2.Test Sketches with new sharpie pens. I was trying to see how they would look with textures and over pitt pens.
3. Zoom in of pencil sketched legs.
4.Sharpie Pen anatomy and general play.
5.Overlay of sketches in one space. They are a bunch of hands, a swing tire, and a goose. No real relation...

Zen

flashviv
10-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Good luck with the NZ move, beautiful place in the world.

Great leg sketch.

virgo68
10-08-2010, 06:41 AM
cool - those sharpie doodles look lively and interesting!

RainySea
10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
very cool doodles and sketches. . . you are moving to NZ? wow. . . seems like a beautiful place. Did you get a new job there? Hope you love it.

DrDebby
10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Marvelous collection of sketches. Good luck to you in your new adventure.

Joan T
10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Good luck in your new place. Moving is always an adventure. These sketches are great...a little of everything!

10-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi Zenica,

I Just LOVE the swatches page, especially the study of the legs, VERY WELL RENDERED and the form is spot on!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

JTMB
10-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Wonderful collection of sketches! And as everyone else has said, the anatomy study is particularly well done.

eyepaint
10-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Great job on the bare bottom :)

Vivien Maloney
10-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Hi Zen; Hope you're settling in ok and things are going well for you.
You've got some great sketches there. Wonderful anatomy on the life drawing!

christinemlr
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
These are great sketch pages - trialing different things along with good studies. Boldly done!

Epoh
10-11-2010, 02:38 AM
love the sketches done with multi-colored ink...wonderful line quality :)

Chuckcamo
10-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Your sketches look great... I like the shading you did on those legs. Keep them coming... :)

Zenica
10-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Hey all

I'm doing fine, just moved from the cottage (short rental) into my new Home (year long rental). Here are more pictures.

1: fairy/super hero. Interesting concept. A friend asked me to see if I could do my interpretation of one of his digital pics. I think it took about 2 hrs http://justlastknight.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2z3uaq

2.Tree in the cottage yard. 20 min
3 & 4: figure sketches about 1 min each.

5.One of my cats from home. Tabitha (Tabby). This took a few hours to render. I drew it using my 48 pack pitt pens and a few of the super fine pitt pen extras. The picture reference I used was one of the last moments I had with her before I gave her up. I wanted a painting I could put on my wall to remember her by... this sketch is just that.

Hope you all enjoy,

Zen

JTMB
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Great group of sketches, Zen! Tabitha is awesome! Ditto for the 1-minute figure sketches - having taken a class where we did short poses from life, I can attest how challenging it is to get a good result, which you did. Hope your NZ move and stay goes wonderfully.

eyepaint
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Great figure studies. Cute kitty :)

DrDebby
10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Splendid figure studies.

Glad you got your kitty picture. She looks like a delightful cat.

virgo68
10-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Great stuff Zen, heaps of variety - the kitty is my favourite - very well observed!

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
wonderful body studies! and all the rest too!

jmb57
10-12-2010, 11:21 PM
love your use of the pitt pens, the cat looks gorgeous

10-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Hi Zen,

FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL studies and hat cat is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

Zenica
10-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Here is another good one from the book. Haven't named it or anything but I will eventually. I think it took approximately 2 hrs of working the pencil back and forth. I used a combination of random hardness levels, charcoal, 4b, 2b, hb etc. I also used a plastic eraser, putty eraser and an electric one too.

Zen

virgo68
10-16-2010, 09:49 PM
This is great Zen, love the combination of lines and shading - very effective!

JTMB
10-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Nice closeup portraits! Very nicely rendered.

DrDebby
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Great close up.

Zenica
10-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey guys, (be aware of figure study below)

Sorry its been awhile since I posted my last stuff. I am actually quite a ways into the sketchbook. I don't know if I will finish it or not, but I am within 30 pages or so... I can't post pictures very often because I have limited bandwidth.

I have had another set back recently which has really tested my abilities. I don't know why... but I seem to have lost the peripheral "side" sight in my right eye. It became obvious a few weeks ago, but i suppose it has been developing over a year. A year ago I went to my eye doctor when I was in the states for a regular check up. He did a test called an "opto-map" which creates a 3 dimensional view of the inside of the eye. He found a small black mole or bruise near the optic nerve.... He kept checking it, but its been well over 3 months since I last saw him. Now I am in New Zealand and I am waiting for placement with the surgeons to see if it is the cause of the loss of sight.

Please keep me in your prayers. Thankfully I can still see what I am directly looking at, and thus I am able to continue my art. Here's the latest "good" picture from my sketchbook. It is a figure study that I found in a blog somewhere... took me an hour or so.. its all Pitt Pen. Thanks for looking

Zen

DrDebby
10-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I do hope the doctors can properly diagnose and fix your eyesight. Horrible to have vision problems.

The figure is very well done. Excellent.

sarales
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Gosh, Zen. I do pray that the doctors can diagnose and easily resolve the problem!

Zenica
10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

I am praying that the docs will fit me in at some point. I think it could be related to my other conditions, a sign that the other doctors didn't see the neurological condition in time. It is also possible that I have an infection or something simple to cure... That is what I am praying it is... I do not feel secure with my sight to drive a car safely...and I need to be able to do that. For now, my family has been wonderful to do that for me.

Zen

robertsloan2
10-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Wonderful figure drawings, all of them. Excellent other stuff, best of all that portrait of Tabby. She's such a beautiful cat and you captured her unique markings so well, great cat anatomy, sweet expression. So sad you had to let her go, hope you found a good home for her.

Vivien Maloney
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I hope the doctors can do something about your eye problem Zen. Thinking of you and hugs,

Zenica
10-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Wonderful figure drawings, all of them. Excellent other stuff, best of all that portrait of Tabby. She's such a beautiful cat and you captured her unique markings so well, great cat anatomy, sweet expression. So sad you had to let her go, hope you found a good home for her.

Robert,

Yes Tabby went to live with a nice older lady who happens to have two other feline friends. I'm sure she's in heaven because there are no loud people coming in and out. Tabby loves peace and quiet!

My other cat, Prissy, went to live with a close friend who has two cats and a dog. The other two cats are very sweet, one is a "Rocket Kitten" and the other is a mature Russian blue. Prissy has been testing the grounds and it appears that she is now the residing Queen!

They are all doing great, I miss them all dearly. Since I had to give them up I have already set myself to volunteer at the local animal shelter and I may also do Fostering for awhile. When I am asleep I still roll over at night to pet prissy and realize that she's not there. I also miss them when I sit at my desk, they used to paw my leg for some attention.

Anyway, I'll check back in later.

Zen

robertsloan2
10-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh that is good! She sounds like she'd be happy there - nice and quiet, other cats to socialize with. LOL the Rocket Kitten living with Prissy, so cool that she wound up taking over as resident Queen. Gemini did that when she first moved in - tiny little thing, thin, she hadn't eaten for a while so I think she weighed less than five pounds. Big husky 15lb Ari was bowing and scraping to her and backing off so fast, letting her eat first, he's such a gentleman.

I can understand how much you miss them though. That's rough. So cool that you got involved at the local animal shelter and it'd be neat if you could do fostering. At least knowing they're all right would help though. I feel for you.

Zenica
10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh that is good! She sounds like she'd be happy there - nice and quiet, other cats to socialize with. LOL the Rocket Kitten living with Prissy, so cool that she wound up taking over as resident Queen.

Robert,

The rocket kitten is such a cute little guy... Prissy doesn't think much of him yet. His name is funny too, Opita = obnoxious pain in the arse (o.O)... no clue why they think that ;)

A Positive note that started off sad...

A local cat decided to play with his food... He caught a poor defenseless wild bird and left him crying at my door with a broken leg. I saved him and nursed him back to health and eventually got him to the bird wing at the SPCA for
"rehab". He's doing well and I'm sure he'll be released soon! It made me feel so good to save even that small of life. The fat cat who caught him didn't need him for "dinner", and I'm sure he got cat food later that night :rolleyes:

Here's pictures of prissy and tabby, and a shot of the birdy!

Zen

robertsloan2
10-28-2010, 10:58 PM
They are beautiful! Mind if I sketch them? Both of the cats are gorgeous and that's a great photo of the bird.

LOL Opita, could be well named. That'll be even funnier once he's grown and mellow.

Carole A
10-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Zen ~ I can't imagine how hard it was to leave your sweet pets. My dog (Bogie) is getting up in years and I'm already getting sad at every new limitation. He's been so spoiled and many mornings I've woke up to find him using my feet for a pillow. Now he has trouble making the jump and even though I'd rather he not get on the bed, I feel bad that he's having trouble doing so. He's also needing some help getting in the SUV now and there's nothing he loves more than going for a ride.

So now that I'm realizing his mortality, I'm very sensitive to separation from our best friends.

Sorry if that was a downer; just thinking... Glad you're coping and thinking of fostering.

Carole A

Zenica
10-29-2010, 03:01 AM
They are beautiful! Mind if I sketch them? Both of the cats are gorgeous and that's a great photo of the bird.

LOL Opita, could be well named. That'll be even funnier once he's grown and mellow.

Robert: Of course I don't mind. I have done so myself a few times... I might even be curious to draw your Ari someday too! They are so amazing in the variety of pattern and personality. I am hoping the landlord will let me do the fostering, just the cats mind you... I don't have the space for anything else. I am so impatient to have a cat in my lap again. Good thing volunteer orientation with the SPCA starts on the 6th so maybe the next week I'll have some kitty duty!

Carole: It was very hard. I spent a few days completely raw of emotion. I felt worse when I thought that they might need to be put down because of a lack of Homes... Thankfully that didn't happen and although my emotions were so strong those first few days that I couldn't bare to get out of bed at all. I felt like I had just been told that I had lost a limb.. I have not only lost two kitties I dearly loved, but also my two westies and I miss them too. I hope your Bogie stays healthy for a few more years, and if not, that he does not suffer a life without your love.

The best part of being a pet owner is the knowledge that the pet is dearly loved and that you are dearly loved by your pet.

Zen

eyepaint
10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Zen - sorry to hear about your eye but hopeful that the surgeons will get it all figured out and fixed up shortly. Love the photos of the kitties and the story. Tabby is such a gorgeous creature!!

Joan T
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Hope things with your eye get worked out!!! Great sketch of the cat and nice figure sketches!

robertsloan2
10-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Thank you! I hope you can get a good treatment for your eye, that's got to be one of the most terrifying things to have happen. It doesn't seem to have slowed you down on art but it must be irritating to have to keep moving your head without peripheral vision. Also hope you get foster kitties soon! I'll see what I can do with these tomorrow, I've got two more pages to fill and those cats are a perfect subject.

Zenica
10-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Thank you! I hope you can get a good treatment for your eye, that's got to be one of the most terrifying things to have happen. It doesn't seem to have slowed you down on art but it must be irritating to have to keep moving your head without peripheral vision. Also hope you get foster kitties soon! I'll see what I can do with these tomorrow, I've got two more pages to fill and those cats are a perfect subject.

Robert: Thank you for thinking of my cats. Its a pleasure to know that you found a good thing to fill those last two pages. I have been worried about my eye.. it really creeps me out when people come up behind me and I don't know they are there... apart from that, I guess its something no one really wants to experience. They say its like tunnel vision... I can see light but not movement or color in my peripheral vision. I think its odd that it happened because I don't remember when I actually lost it or when it suddenly became so bad that I kept running into stuff. It is just the one eye and I can focus enough to paint and draw. I am still hopeful that they will fix it and not let it get worse.

I really hope I can get another furry friend. Its so heart breaking and it feels like I've betrayed my cats by wanting to continue to love another. I loved the way they knew exactly when I needed them. I think having a pet here would help get my mind off the eye problems and maybe ease the longing that I have for my American Kitties.

Please post the sketches in my thread - or comment a link for me so I can save them :o

Zenica

virgo68
10-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Good luck Zenica, hope it is not too serious and something that can be fixed quickly ;)

mhimeswc
10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm so sad for you having to give up your pets. Let's see....a big move, a new home, saying goodbye to beloved pets, and what could be serious eye trouble. You've had a lot on your plate. And yet you managed to keep up with your sketching. Good for you! I really hope the eye thing isn't too serious and that the doc can help you.

Zenica
10-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm so sad for you having to give up your pets. Let's see....a big move, a new home, saying goodbye to beloved pets, and what could be serious eye trouble. You've had a lot on your plate. And yet you managed to keep up with your sketching. Good for you! I really hope the eye thing isn't too serious and that the doc can help you.

You said it. So much has happened, I only hope that the tides will turn and turn what looks like misfortune into a saving grace. Perhaps I needed to give up my pets in order to save a new life.

Zen

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 02:30 AM
I hope so. There are bound to be shelter cats there in New Zealand sitting on death row, hoping someone good will come to rehome them. I hope your new home is a good one and your eye problems easily treated.

I sketched them this afternoon in Graphitints, they're starring on the Cats Page with Ari on my October sketchbook thread. At least you know both of them are in good places and can stay in touch with their new people to know they're all right - that helps a lot. I had to give up my cats once in New Orleans when I lost my apartment, and it helped a lot to know the people who took in Vila the sneak thief of the fridge. He wound up retiring to become a barn cat with 350 acres and was happy out there.

Zenica
10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
I hope so. There are bound to be shelter cats there in New Zealand sitting on death row, hoping someone good will come to rehome them. I hope your new home is a good one and your eye problems easily treated.

I sketched them this afternoon in Graphitints, they're starring on the Cats Page with Ari on my October sketchbook thread. At least you know both of them are in good places and can stay in touch with their new people to know they're all right - that helps a lot. I had to give up my cats once in New Orleans when I lost my apartment, and it helped a lot to know the people who took in Vila the sneak thief of the fridge. He wound up retiring to become a barn cat with 350 acres and was happy out there.

Robert,

Thanks for including them. The sketches look nice. Prissy is quite the funny one... She has always slept like that.. since she was a kitten anyway. She loved to wrestle around with me and I taught her a few tricks.

Prissy and Tabby could open some of the doors and prissy knew two commands. One was basically laying "down" where I'd stand over her and snap my fingers and she'd submit. The other was "bedroom", she'd run upstairs and into my room straight off. I taught her that one for a few reasons, mainly to get her to go to bed when I did. Otherwise she'd howl at the door until I got up to let her in...

Tabby also knew some tricks, she was a very calm kitty who liked attention and didn't get into trouble. She didn't need the ones I used for prissy.. never tried to trip me over or pounce on me. Prissy loved to get into trouble...thats when you need the "Down!" submit rule.

Anyway I'm pretty sure I will keep a lookout for kitties that are in bad situations, I think the local spca is a no kill shelter but I could be wrong. I don't think the animal problems are as bad here but they do need help.

Zenica

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 11:43 PM
That is so neat. I hope you do find a great shelter cat who needs you as much as they did - they are such characters. Glad you liked their sketches. I hope you're right about the local SPCA being a no-kill shelter, when they're not it's heartbreaking.

Zenica
11-02-2010, 05:05 AM
That is so neat. I hope you do find a great shelter cat who needs you as much as they did - they are such characters. Glad you liked their sketches. I hope you're right about the local SPCA being a no-kill shelter, when they're not it's heartbreaking.

Yep; I have orientation this saturday. I get my first training on the 27th, or possibly sooner if I can "push" for early training. I am hoping to start really soon... it is interesting how you really don't know what you got until its gone... now i just want the little furry interruption again lol.

Update: I went to the acute eye care clinic for a "sit down". Spent 5 hours before they actually got to see me and 2 hours for the actual visit. They did a bunch of tests including a visual map that showed exactly what sections of the eye were damaged. The diagnosis was so "shaky" that I have to go in for another MRI and possibly repeat tests. They said that I have Optic Neuritis, or swelling in the optic nerve. The swelling is what is causing the loss of peripheral vision but they don't know why or what caused it.

After the MRI Scan that probably will come clean... they will send me off to another neurology department. If it is Optic Neuritis, it should hopefully go away on its own assuming it isn't a symptom of something else.

Anyway... got to rest the mind. Hope you all have good health and I'll probably do some on the november challenge if I can. Cheers,

Zenica