PDA

View Full Version : Epoh's October sketchbook/month challenge

Epoh
10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
this will be an interesting process for me...for one, I usually never finish a sketchbook..the first one I did finish was just done yesterday (maybe a couple blank pages still left--not bad)..and that one took me a couple years!---as I had started it, put it away, picked it back up, left it for a few months...etc. etc. But I am now at a point where I want to make art a priority, and I truly need to and want to improve my skills. This challenge is perfect. :)
secondly, my sketchbooks are journals..sometimes very personal...I usually do not show anybody..and I'm about to post for all to see. My goal is to not think about that, as I do not want to alter the way I fill my book. Though I think this book will be different from my last and others I have started, because I do want to focus more on my drawing skills, though I am not limiting myself to just drawings :D

ok, here we go... :)

the sketchbook du jour (well, du mois ;) )....
"the art of watercolor" A5, 180gsm, 40 sheets/80pages
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3670.JPG,_799x533.JPG

title page...still a work in progress, as I will be doodling on it whenever I feel like it--I need to calm those bright colors down! (they are inktense, btw) ...and now you know my real name :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3674.JPG,_799x533.JPG

I love to have swatches in my journals...so I started the first page with my inktense and travel W&N watercolors..I left the next page, front/back blank to add more swatches later on
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3671.JPG,_799x533.JPG

first sketches...
part of the scavenger hunt #194 (so if you participate/follow that thread, you'll see these again ;))...I took a walk at the park and created these. Doing the tree bark was a big deal (to me, anyway) because I usually do not like people watching me work in my sketchbook, and I was sitting on a bench right on a main path and quite a few people walked by...and I just did my thing anyway...and ya know what--no one cared. Stupid fear of being watched! :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3673.JPG,_799x533.JPG

a couple things I learned today...1, I do not like the brush that came with my WC set..doesn't hold water very well. 2, I need to learn to mix a better black. of course, right now, color mixing is pretty new to me, and a lot of trial and error... :)

RainySea
10-01-2010, 07:22 PM
what a beautiful sketchbook, it looks almost like a moleskine. Love your first page, you writing is so nice. excellent scavenger hunt items and color swatches. You are off to a great start. . . wow! I better get with it when I get home from work!

virgo68
10-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Yay Hope! Wonderful start and good for you challenging some of your fears! The swatch page is a good idea and so colourful, (I love seeing blobs of colour as much as I like graphite tonal drawings - weird I know!). Your pages as just what I expect to see in a journal of exploration!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-01-2010, 08:49 PM
FANTASTIC sketchbook, beautiful cover and elastic closure. The title page is FANTASTIC, even the bright colours reflect optimism and hope!!!!!!

The colour swatches are fantastic, very neat and well structured - very professional like!

The two painting are BEAUTIFUL, just simply stunning!!!!

THat silly fear of been watched has stopped me on many occasions to paint. But I have come to realise that most people just don't care, and the rest are just curious - but usually to afraid to approach an "artist in progress" as they might "detract" from a potentially beautiful painting/work. Then you get one or two that don't care if they disturb you and look anyway. That is usually when I become self consious, until I heard this statement:
"My kid can paint better than that"
I had to stop myself from dropping everything from laughing so hard.... if only he knew how hard it was to make something look like it should look like!!!!!

Basically what I am trying to say - DON"T WORRY!!!!!! JUST ENJOY THE PROCESS OF CREATING!!!!!!!

denyalle
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I love that sketchbook! What brand is it? Looks like you've got a great start going on here. I know what you mean about being watched when working in a sketchbook. Many times if you're sitting there and someone just decides to take a seat next to you they start asking questions and want to see more... I don't have a lot of confidence in my abilities because like you I've had a habit of picking it up and letting it go. So it scares me to one be doing this, and two to take the chance that someone will watch me draw or want to see anything else. Especially my childish doodles that are essentially stick people when I feel the urge :D. Hopefully I can break that fear sometime in the near future!

JTMB
10-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Nicely done - a great start! I may have to dig out my Inktense pencils later on this month as well.

poochemio
10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Lovely start Hope, I love your tree bark. I have just recently decided to kick my fear in the face and start sketching out and about. I admit I took my rather large guy along with me the first time in case anyone tried to hurt my feelings. The thought makes me giggle now. It was huge when I started going to life drawing with an especially gifted friend of mine. My drawings were so beginner, and I was so shy and embarrassed, but when I let go of it I discovered most of the other artists were quite pleasant and helpful. So you go girl!:thumbsup:
Margo

DrDebby
10-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Beautiful title page. The colors are glowing. Not so sure I'd tone them down. Your swatches are so professional looking. The paintings are a delight to see.

sarales
10-01-2010, 11:06 PM
What a wonderful start!! Good for you for facing your fears and getting outside to draw whether anyone watches or not. I struggle with that as well, and am trying hard to be bolder about it. I love your drawings and look forward to seeing more!

Epoh
10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
thanks bunches everyone! :) it's good to know that others have some of the same hang-ups I do, it's good to be in company that gets me...artistically speaking... and the encouragement from you all is wonderful

Stacy, I think I will have to add your words to my book.."Don't worry. Enjoy the process!" :D

Denyalle--the name on the sketchbook was "the art of watercolor"...I'd never seen that name before, so I don't really know much about it..but I do like the feel of the paper, and it takes the washes nicely..I'm interested to see how it takes other media. I bought it at Hobby Lobby.

and Rainy--it is like a moleskine with the elastic, and it has a pouch on the back cover like the moleskines too. ...and the cover is a faux leather, so it has a nice feel and I know it will take some abuse when tossed in a bag :)

I may have to get another one of these for next month :)

10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Stacy, I think I will have to add your words to my book.."Don't worry. Enjoy the process!" :D

You are more than welcome to use that quote, as is anyone else!!!!:thumbsup:

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

robertsloan2
10-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Epoh, what a gorgeous introduction page. Love the border and the mission statement, that's awesome. Your rock wall is gorgeous. The bike rack and tree bark are beautiful too, I just commented on those on the Scavenger Hunt thread. Hunts are great for filling up pages fast! Also I love your swatches page - very clear, beautiful swatches laid out well. Looking forward to more!

Epoh
10-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Stacey-thank you :) ...I will be putting your quote in my book!

Robert-thanks, and btw..it's not a bike rack..it's a grill, the kind you find at a public park :lol: ...looking at it after I had cleaned up to go, I realized I didn't add the back of the grill, so maybe that's why it looks funny--more like a bike rack.

it's funny how I see the subject, knowing what I saw when I sketched, and how others see it, only having my drawing to go by :D

and I love swatches of color...and it's an easy way to start a sketchbook when one's weary of all those blank pages! :)

Vivien Maloney
10-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Nice start to your sketchbook Epoh. I like your Title page and the color swatches. Great job on your Hunt sketches. You'll probably see some Hunt sketches of mine appearing in my sketchbook as well, as I've been following the Scavenger Hunts for a very long time. I'll be following your sketchbook with interest.

loobyteacher
10-02-2010, 03:20 AM
wonderful sketchbook! I love all the notes to yourself and writing about the pics. It will be a valuable tool!

Greeble
10-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Oh look! A bike rack for heating tiny bicycles on coals!:evil:

Great work on the wall and the tree. For me the hardest colors to get are the everyday ones like rock or cardboard or anything of that sort.

I need to get up the courage to haul my sketchbook out and sketch in front of people, or outside.

Epoh
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
thank you Vivien and loobyteacher for your kind comments :)

Greeble-"Oh look! A bike rack for heating tiny bicycles on coals!" You're too funny! :lol: and I need to really amp up my ability to draw in front of people...I'm heading to Disney World in a week and a half, and I want to be able to sketch while I'm there--and that place will have people everywhere! So I need to get over my fear quick! :wink2: ...right now, baby steps though.

Epoh
10-02-2010, 04:22 PM
more color swatches added today...
CARAN d'ACHE Neocolor II and Derwent AQUAtone

I did two sample of each color: one, putting down the color then going over it with a wet brush; the other, putting down water with a brush then going over it with the color
...there are some subtle differences, but not much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3676.JPG_resized.JPG

the following page was all done with a Staedtler pen and the Neocolor II.

I over-worked the paint jar way too much, putting down color, then adding the wet brush, then adding more color, then doing it some more trying to get the look I wanted...I ended up working it so much that it went thru to the other side of the paper..right onto my rock wall from yesterday :crying: ...but, it didn't mess it up too much..and lesson learned!
And then I had too much water on my brush when I went to activate the color for the railing...which makes it look misty--which, it's raining today, so I guess that's appropriate :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3675.JPG_resized.JPG

GhettoDaveyHavok
10-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Ooooooohhh, pretty colors. *_*

Mmmmm... Spicy peppers....

robertsloan2
10-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Great swatch studies. Interesting test, water first or color first, that's cool. I do see a difference on some of them.

Beautiful Scavenger Hunt paintings. I love your ink and wash style, it's so striking. Strong gorgeous color!

Greeble
10-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Pretty peppers!

And for some reason the hand holding the jar really captures my eye. Maybe 'cause I like blue?

10-02-2010, 09:21 PM
FANTASTIC colour swatches, and excellent idea to test the two different ways of applying it!

THe scavenger hunt items are fantastic, LOVE the strong colours and the colour shading. FANTASTIC work. BUT I LOVE the acrylic bottle and hand, fantastically rendered and excellent strong colours!!!!!! (even if you did make a small boo boo!!!)

Gentle HUgs, Stacey

virgo68
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I had my first "booboo" day 2 also - mine was with fixative! I think it is great that you are experimenting so much. You don't have to show your work to people if they ask - a polite "I'd rather not, thanks!" is ok to tell strangers!!

DrDebby
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Great idea for experimenting with the color swatches.

The sketches are marvelous.

poochemio
10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I like them all, I really like the paint jar. Experimentation is fun even when it goes awry. That is when I learn the most and what I have considered my sketchbooks to be for.
Margo

Chuckcamo
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Those swatches are very colorful... your scavenger hunt sketches are great, you should try to sketch around people more often. This is going to be a good sketch book, can't wait to see more.

WC Lee
10-03-2010, 04:38 AM
great start :) and that is one nice looking watercolor sketch book ... I want one ...

WYSIWYG
10-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Very nice! Especially the chilli peppers - oh nom nom!

jaforsyth
10-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Great work - love your sytle.

Joan T
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I saw your sketches over in the scavenger hunt and was still thinking about the one of the paint jar in your hand...and here it is again. This is a fabulous start!!! I use my W&N field kit a lot, and you are right. The brush in it is too tiny for anything other than detail work on the paintings. I use a waterbrush instead which works really well. I can't wait to see more of your work.

denyalle
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Great paint swatches! I never would have thought of a difference between the two ways of putting down color, learn something new every day! Really like your scavenger hunt items. :)

eyepaint
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Love the colour swatches!!!

Epoh
10-04-2010, 01:38 AM
thank you everyone for your wonderful comments :grouphug:

today's pages:
first is a quick sketch of one of my cats, Peekaboo...who happened to be sitting on my lap, so that's all I could see of him above the top of my book :lol: ...my cats don't live with me, when I moved it was to a place where the landlord won't allow pets, so the cats (all 10 of them--7 indoor, 2 outdoor, and 1 stray that has become quite friendly over the past couple years) stayed at my parents farm. I go to visit them as often as I can, and when I walk in and start talking they come running to me :cat: I love my kitties
this was done in a PITT brush pen
the second sketch I did at home this evening while sitting on the porch...I just wanted to see if I could sketch a night scene where everything is almost black, done with a 5B pencil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3683.JPG_resized.JPG

the second page I did was a sketch for the Scavenger Hunt...a fruit still life, an Asian pear and a few green grapes. I LOVE Asian pears..my sister in law, who is Korean, first introduced them to me...kind of like a pear, but firm sorta like an apple, and oh so sweet! yum!
this was first sketched in pencil then color was added with Derwent AQUAtones...now, when I did the grapes, the little spaces I wanted to leave white for highlights got covered in green, and I don't have a white AQUAtone, so I tried to use yellow, but it was too strong and didn't really work---so that's the lesson I learned today, yellow is NOT a good substitute for white highlights :wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3682.JPG_resized.JPG

I seriously need to stop taking pics of my work at night...or find better lighting!! :o

JTMB
10-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Good job on the kitty's head!

DrDebby
10-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Great experiments. Sketchbooks are for learning.

Chuckcamo
10-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Liking the AQUAtones... night sketching sounds interesting... Maybe adding more color around the highlight can fix the grapes..very nice sketches...

Epoh
10-04-2010, 02:37 AM
John, Debby..thank you :)

Chuck..thanks for the great idea..I still have some room at the bottom of the page, I think I will draw a few more grapes and then experiment--try to do it the way I originally wanted, control the color flow more and keep some white hightlights, and then also put some yellow on one and see if increasing the green will tone down the brightness of the yellow :)

virgo68
10-04-2010, 02:42 AM
The Asian pear looks yummy! I like the combination of colours on that one - they all work nicely with each other. Some people "scrape" the surface of the paper with a very sharp knife to re-establish whitehighlights (never tried it myself though!).

loobyteacher
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I really like the idea of the scavenger hunt, I will have to find it! you have some really nice sketches

poochemio
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Great sketches. I really like your fruit still life. Night sketching seems to be very popular these days, there is another bandwagon for me to jump on. I like the effects you got on yours.

Joan T
10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Isn't it amazing that just a few simple marks indicate your cat so well!!! I like that. Great still life from the hunt.

vhere
10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
nice start :)

rmcbuckeye
10-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I really like the fruit still life drawing.. Great start to the sketchbook!

jaforsyth
10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I like the still life of the fruit - you might try the scraping for the whites, that works with sturdy papers. I use an xacto knife, but never tried it on sketch paper - only watercolor - very nice work!

Epoh
10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
thank you all for the comments!

virgo & jaforsyth- thanks for the scraping idea..I'll have to try that sometime as well to see how it works (the paper is watercolor, but not heavy..)
loobyteacher-have you found the Scavenger Hunt yet? ...you can find it in the Artwork from Life forum :) the current one ends on the 6th, and the new one will begin on the same day.
poochmeio-I didn't realize night sketching was a popular thing...I'm hip and I didn't even know it! :lol:

here's my latest....

I did try the grapes again, once trying to keep the white by controlling the flow of color, the other, adding more green color to offset the yellow--which I think worked well, but then I lost the soft translucent quality
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3685.JPG_resize.JPG

now, if you are following Roberts Oct sketchbook thread (and I know you are!) ..you'll know the story of my purchase of set of 24 Graphitints for $0.01. (yes, you read correctly, one cent.) So, of course I had to do a color swatch page for my new toys....I'm not sure I'm laying enough color down with these things, I do have some playing to do.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3684.JPG_resize.JPG

speaking of playing...this is my first sketch done with the Graphitints, a Halloween candy dish in the shape of a skull.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3686.JPG_resize.JPG

this morning I did a sketch (with items to fulfill the Scavenger Hunt)...I went outside, picked up some leaves and then along side them I set my cup of coffee--which I just started drinking because I wanted to try this Pumpkin Spice creamer that I saw in the store! I used three different wet media: Graphitints, Neocolor II, and W&N watercolors...I wanted to see how they all differed and so put them all in one sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3688.JPG_resize.JPG

this time I waited until daylight to take my pics, hoping they would turn out better with outdoor lighting...which I think they did a little..but what I think is really happening is that my camera is trying to compensate for all the white being bounced back from the page itself, and so I need to adjust how my camera takes the pic to improve the quality of the image...boy, I'm just learning all kinds of things with this sketchbook project! :D

RainySea
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
hello. . . lovely watermedia items. The fruit is great, esp the last grapes. Really like the leaves and the purple shadows. Very pretty.

JTMB
10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Very nice on this batch of sketches! Next time I do a swatch page, I'll have to be neat like you are here. Mine was kinda' scruffy...! :) And yes, I will be forever jealous of your one cent Graphitints...!

virgo68
10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
WOOHOO Hope, what a great collection of work. Your experiments are great - interesting with the page of everything - I think I can pick the subdued purple/violet of the graphitints but that is it!

What an absolute BARGAIN! Here in Australia I paid a small fortune for my set of graphitints and have never ever seen any mark down like that in an art store here (in fact it is rare to ever see a mark down here!!). Enjoy! Your sketchbook is rolling along great :)

loobyteacher
10-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I really like the two pages with the tea and leaves. well done

eyepaint
10-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Great job on the curled and aging leaves :)

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Wonderful sketches.

Wish I could find bargains like that!

Chuckcamo
10-06-2010, 01:29 AM
you did good on those grapes, both have a different lighting effect. Your color swatches and hand writing look excellent... good job!

Joan T
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Great colors swatches. Scarey candy dish, but well shaded...is there any candy corn in there??? (Just lookin'.) Super color on your leaves! I don't particularly like the taste of pumpkin, but they sure make good models.

Epoh
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
thank you everyone :)
...and Joan, no candy corn--I actually do not like candy corn, sorry :wink2:

I did some more last night and today...filled out the bottom of the pages that my leaves and coffee were on, and then this morning..in a jittery state from drinking more coffee, I attempted some more...it did not go so well :lol:
(these are all items for the scavenger hunt, so you'll see them there too if you are following along :))

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3693.JPG_resized.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3694.JPG_resized.JPG

JTMB
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I really like this group of sketches! An especially nice job on the transparent tape dispenser. I usually try to do at least one page of scavenger hunt sketches, but with this monthly challenge sketchbook, I didn't do any on the current one. Plus, taking a couple of art classes this quarter, which further complicates the schedule (in a good way, though!).

RainySea
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
lovely sketches. . . I admire how you have put them in their own little boxes, too. Neat bottle and aluminum foil!

rmcbuckeye
10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I knew it was a Jack Daniel's bottle before seeing your notes! ;) Ha, I don't drink whiskey, though.. definitely can't handle it. I do have a friend who's expecting a boy in February. Her boyfriend's last name is Daniel, and they were joking how they would name the baby "Jackson Daniel", "Jack" for short..:rolleyes:

I love your journal, it's very, very creative! I somehow can't get mine to go the way I want it to turn out. It's okay, I'm enjoying my process with getting through it.

virgo68
10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I like the way you did the boxes with the coloured background, your line drawings are very accurate. The loose watercolour are neat - you can go back with a pen and add some small details when the shakes (coffee wears off) are gone!!

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Marvelous hunt sketches.

poochemio
10-06-2010, 10:03 PM
All too fun, I have the scavenger hunt list now I just need to do it too. I want to just pick up that coffee cup and drink from it, very realistic.
Margo

vhere
10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
pretty colours :) - I've got a peacock feather sitting waiting to be drawn too

WC Lee
10-08-2010, 03:11 AM
good work on the scavenger hunt items :) so hard to leave a little spot of white when using watercolors, white gouache to the rescue :lol:

Epoh
10-08-2010, 10:35 AM
thank you everyone :D ....I really appreciate you taking the time to comment--it means a lot to me :heart:

here's the next few pages...all scavenger hunt items--they seem to keep me busy in my book!

on this one, I sketched it out with pen, then added color using some pigment ink-pads (stamped the ink onto a plastic plate, thinned it with water--it acts like watercolor, only when it dries it's permanent) then I glued down some colored tissue paper and then added more color on top with AQUAtones.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3700.JPG_resized.JPG

for this page, I just tried different media...I really like the look of the vertebrae--I'm liking my Neocolors II more and more :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3702.JPG_resized.JPG

I just had fun with this page this morning...wanted to have the media and approach I used reflect the object/hunt word
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_3703.JPG_resized.JPG

:grouphug:

vhere
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
the teddy captures the word soft exactly!

flashviv
10-08-2010, 04:01 PM
the teddy really is soft! the study you did of the bottles works so well, you really caught the transparency and colours of the glass

Epoh
10-08-2010, 04:23 PM
thank you Vhere and Linda :) ...glass is something I've been trying to work on, so I hope with each attempt at it, I get better

well, off to go camping for the weekend, I should have some new pages when I return...sorry I won't be able to comment on others journals for a few days---won't have internet! :wink2:

DrDebby
10-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Great hunt sketches. Fun to try different media.

virgo68
10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Lovely pages - I especially like the last one again! The boxes set up is very interesting to look at.

You have a really nice style with the water soluble media - the colours are very clean and vibrant - great stuff. Hope you enjoy the camping trip :)

Chuckcamo
10-09-2010, 12:49 AM
I think this is the 1st time I've seen dryer lint sketched... :) Great job on the scavenger hunt, excellent sketches.

10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Hi Epoh,

LOVE the quick sketch of Peekaboo - very expressive with such economy of lines!!!!!

The nighttime scence is interesting!

LOVE the Stilllife setup!!!!

Excellent experiment with the grapes!

Again FANTASTIC colour swatches! $0.01 for 24 Graphitints - LUCKY SOD!!! LOL!!!!

Fantastic Stilllife experiment with the different mediums. LOVE the leaves!!!!

EXCELLENT Scavenger Hunt items for #194, especially the bottles!

The Scavenger Hunt items for #195 are gorgeous, especially "soft"!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

JTMB
10-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Nice scavenger hunt items! My favorites are hard and soft - the hammer and the teddy bear. :)

eyepaint
10-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Love the "framed" hunt sketches with the bg colours :)

Vivien Maloney
10-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Great job on all your sketches. The night one is particularly interesting. Difficult to sketch into the dark, well done.

christinemlr
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Great sketching work with watercolour. I can see your style coming through too.

jaforsyth
10-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Great work on the scavenger hunt! I need to go over and check those out!

dianapotts
10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
What a lovely journal to look through. I like your soft colors. It has a friendly feeling to it.

Diana

dianapotts
10-10-2010, 06:37 PM
What a lovely journal to look through. I like your soft colors. It has a friendly feeling to it.

Diana

WYSIWYG
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Lovely and so diverse! My favorite is the soft little teddy... squooshable! The scavanger hunts sound fun!

Epoh
10-11-2010, 01:19 AM
thank you everyone! :grouphug:

Chuck--yea, that's the first time I've drawn dyer lint...wouldn't have even thought to do so if it wasn't for the scavenger hunt--that's what makes those hunts so fun! :D

WYSIWYG--squooshable...love it!

glad you all liked the "soft"...I was particularly happy with that one :)

back from my camping trip...didn't do as much sketching as I would have liked--but I did get a little in, I will take pics in the morning (with the sunlight to help :wink2:) and post them

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I really like how you enclose the drawings in their own box. I also like how you do the background around the drawings.

jmb57
10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
love your sketches, great use of the scavenger hunt

Epoh
10-28-2010, 04:50 PM
well....it's been quite a while....
I have been sketching, but then went on vacation (Walt Disney World, Florida) and then when I came back I was busy with work...and now my carpal tunnel is getting really bad and I haven't even drawn for the past few days :(
I know I will not finish this book this month, but I am proud of how much I have accomplished so far. If I can get a handle on the CTS, I should have the journal done by the end of November, as I am about 1/2 done with it now. It does have more pages than I had originally wanted, but like I said, I'm happy with how much I have done. :)

so here's the latest:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4171.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4172.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4176.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4177.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4179.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4180.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4182.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4183.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4184.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4185.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4186.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4187.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4188.JPG_resize.JPG

Epoh
10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4189.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4190.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4192.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2010/151067-IMG_4193.JPG_resize.JPG

sarales
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow, what a lot of wonderful sketches!! I especially love the geese and the architectural drawings in WDW. Disney knows how to treat visitors, don't they?
I'm so sorry about the CTS- I struggle with that myself. These sketches are just terrific! Thank you for sharing.

robertsloan2
10-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Wonderful travel sketches. I like your loose penwork and smooth watercolor combination, gorgeous.

Chuckcamo
10-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Looks like you had fun at Walt Disney... Your pen and watercolor are outstanding, especially like the building and the lady's dress... great job! :)

flashviv
10-29-2010, 03:47 AM
fabulous pages, I like the green gown too, and the list of things to remember for next time! The sketches of the geese really caught my eye, they are great.

vhere
10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
you've done really well - CTS is miserable. I had both wrists operated on, a couple of years apart. Injections were magic but only lasted for a few weeks. No trouble at all since the ops :)

Hope they sort yours out for you.

eyepaint
10-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Wonderful geese. Hope you feel better soon.

DrDebby
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Marvelous vacation sketches. Sorry about your CTS. Miserable stuff. Rest is paramount.

virgo68
10-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Fabulous sketchbook Hope!! I'm with the others in wishing you a speedy recovery....

mhimeswc
10-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I thought that I had commented at least once on everyone's October sketchbook, but I guess I missed yours. You have some great sketches in there.

Epoh
10-31-2010, 01:38 AM
thank you all for the get well wishes...I do have a doctor's appt on Mon, and I hope to have some good news towards a resolution. This dang CTS has kept me from drawing lately, from working as much as I used to (it was caused by my occupation :(,) and has even affected many daily living activities. So I really need to get it solved.

I really miss creating and drawing...I was on such a roll....but I know I will get back to it when I can. Thank you all for your support this month! :grouphug:

JTMB
10-31-2010, 03:07 AM
What a great group of sketches since I last checked in! Of course my favorites are the birds...:) . The sketches of them are very well done - I know firsthand how hard this is to pull off!

RainySea
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
wow, so many wonderful sketches. . . my fav page is the trees with the ducks beneath and also love the pages of the ducks in various poses. But all of them are great. The bread and knife catches my eye too. WELL DONE!

Epoh
11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
thank you John and Rainy :wave:

I like the geese sketches too...I like birds, usually the small, "nice," ones--geese can get quite mean....but drawing animals from life, especially when they move as much as they do, is fun :) ...and I like the loose pen work it produces.

well, I didn't complete the book in the month of October...but I've noticed a new challenge for Nov...a page a day....so I think I will continue in this book to finish it.

now, with my CTS, it may prove to be difficult at times, and I have considered trying to draw with my left (non-dominate) hand when the right is hurting too much...it would be a fun experiment...and probably funny to all of you, as I'm sure the quality of sketches would be very horrible! :wink2:

so stay tuned...

**if there's a moderator out there lurking...could you please change the title of my thread to: Epoh's October/November sketchbook challenge
thank you! :)

Epoh
11-02-2010, 03:07 AM
...continuing for the November page-a-day challenge....

I did this in Neocolors II, loose pencil sketch first, then the color. It really aggravated my CTS, so tomorrow I will start with the left-hand drawing experiment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/151067-IMG_4204.JPG_resized.JPG

Chuckcamo
11-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Your scavenger sketches look great... sorry to hear about your CTS... you never know you may end up preferring your left hand after awhile...

seejay
11-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Lots of nice variety here. :clap:

virgo68
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Must be so frustrating for you! I like the new sketches - don't push things too far and make it worse - better to rest and recover :)

Epoh
11-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Chuck-thank you :) ...it will take awhile to get used to drawing with my left, but my first attempt wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. it's quite a strange experience--not fully being in touch with where my hand is while I draw (I make sketch lines while looking at the subject in-between looking at the page as I draw--if that makes any sense)

Chris-thank you :)

Jackie-yeah, I know I shouldn't push it...that's why I'm going to try drawing with the left hand...but I have CTS in that one as well--just not as bad, so we'll see how long it lasts. I won't push too hard...but I do want to try this Nov page-a-day challenge. I may have to switch from sketching and do collage or something with less need for manual dexterity...or I may have to put off working in it at all until I have the problem solved. :(

and on that note....
Day 2:
first sketch done with my left (non-dominant) hand, a glass telephone pole insulator. I wanted something without too much of a complex shape, but with a slight challenge. My perspective is off...but it is what it is.
I have included a picture of the real thing for those of you who may not know what it is. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2010/151067-IMG_4207.JPG_resize.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2010/151067-IMG_4206.JPG_resize.JPG

virgo68
11-03-2010, 05:09 AM
wow! Considering you are using your left hand I think this is great! I just hope you don't wear that one out too ;)

Joan T
11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I really enjoyed all your vacation sketches. The architectural ones were really good! Great job on the ones you did with your non dominant hand!!

JTMB
11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Glad to see you giving the left hand a try - I think it will come along quicker and better than you might initially think!

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Great hunt sketches.

Drawing with your left hand probably won't take long. I've had to resort to my off hand several times in my life. It's amazing how short a time it takes to make yourself proficient. Hang in there, but don't hurt yourself.

seejay
11-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Nice non-dominant hand drawing! :clap:

This is a good exercise I think. I have done it a few times, fortunately by choice. Funny thing is my left (nondominant) hand seems to work better for some things. Here is an example (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8286001&postcount=33) if you would like to see.

Cheers