PDA

View Full Version : a portrait

Julia
02-11-2000, 07:29 PM
This is a portraot of my daughter. I used the rough watercolor paper and soft charcoal. I tried not to blend the charcoal, so that the paper looks through it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Anna.jpg

bruin70
02-12-2000, 09:20 AM
problem is,,,,it's tough to see what's what, julia. do i see white there? is it a blue h2o wash/white showing thru? is white added,,,,like pastel? what is the sizw? if you're going to do this technique, scale is important. that is,,,roughness of paper vs image size. too rough = indistinct features......milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

angelfehr
02-12-2000, 06:31 PM
Julia,
Did you feel that this portrait captured your daughter--is it her?
The only thing I might suggest is to soften some outside edges, but if this were my portrait, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Julia
02-12-2000, 08:31 PM
1.This is really my daughter,believe it or not.
2.And there is definitely WHITE in the drawing, though the background seems too blue. This is, probably, due to the digital camera or ... I was interested in the indistinctive features, that's why I chose the rough paper. Anyway, I'm just learning.

BillieD
02-13-2000, 07:58 PM
I like it. I think the digital image doesn't do it justice,(looks like my attempts with my son's new toy, I don't know what type camera you have, but, J's has a 'fine' setting, which helps, a bunch. Also, I haven't photo'd in any light that the flash didn't cause that spotty look...digital seems to need less light.) It took me a few examinations to figure out those were glasses, thought, your daughter was much older. (I think that was the digital image that caused it, but, I think the glasses might benefit from a bit more definition.)

Good work,
Billie Dawn

bruin70
02-14-2000, 12:23 AM
couple of things....white in the b/w drwaing is best used in limited form,,,when showing hilites NOT light. let the black create the form and the white, used for hilites only. i think there's too much white in the forehead and nose.
also ,,,the white you used for the background takes away from the head. white in these kinds of drawings have a powerful presence. that's why they should have limited use. so the background white is very dominant. a good way to approach charcoal/white drawings is to do as much(if not all) as you can in black, and leave hilite whites for last

bruin70
02-14-2000, 12:25 AM
ps,,,,,are the eyes looking down???...milt