02-08-2000, 07:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/yerout.jpg

I am posting this for Adelphia and it is just
lovely. Very sweet Adel...
Pat

seaking
02-08-2000, 08:01 PM
YOU'RE a genious Pat!
Thank you. I have to say, I think I'll be switching to charcoal..white/black and "toned" paper. I have learned soooo much in so little time from this site. Thank you all! I have soooo many questions I don't know where to start. Now that my drawing is up, I am looking forward to hearing from you all. #1 question. How do i get the little boys left arm to look 'IN" his sleeve, not attatched to his sleeve? Thanks much...Adel

Gisela
02-08-2000, 08:24 PM
Wonderful expression you caught on the child's face!!
I think the main problem with that arm is the length. It looks like it's shorter than the other arm. Try lengthening the arm, then make the sleeve wider and show a little of the inside of the sleeve. Also add shading to place the arm in of the sleeve.
Nice job!
Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

seaking
02-08-2000, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the input Gisela! I see that now. I am getting off this blasted computer and apply your suggestions. Thanks much, Adel

seaking
02-12-2000, 02:25 PM
Drew,
Thank you for sharing your expertise. It has been so helpful. My drawings are looking better! the framing comment is more than encouraging! Yes this is the 4th drawing I have done, "ever". I am touching up the 4 I have done (with the help from this website) and am on to a new one.
I am really enjoying drawing. I don't beleive I should be calling it that tho as I just copy photographs...so far ;-) Adel

Frame it.

("#4" means this is the fourth drawing you've done? Ever?)[/B][/QUOTE]

Drew Davis
02-13-2000, 12:19 AM
I like the way you render hair. You've got the texture and the shine, yet it's still very soft and fine, very fitting for a child. There's a better range of values in this one, too.

Speaking of which, value contrast attracts attention. It's one of the ways you get people to look at your focal point. In this case, I think the edge of the cap, on the left, is a bit too sharp against the background, and pulls away from the face. Try darkening the middle background, so there's less contrast. (You'll need to do a bit on the right side, too, I expect. You can leave the edge of the shoulder light and get a nice highlight that way, too.)

The cap needs a little shading for volume, just like the head. They're both round.

The right eye (his left) looks just a bit too large, as it blends into the lid. Lighten the lid a bit over the iris, and narrow the iris just a tad on the inside corner to push it back and around on the face. Three-quarter views are the hardest to draw, I think, as everything becomes asymmetrical and showing depth becomes important.

And the arm... I think the dark fold in the sleeve adds to the problem. Try getting rid of it. There's a faint second fold a little lower that's perhaps closer to the line you want. On the lower, left edge of the arm, it takes a bit of a curve into the sleeve, which, along with that fold and the edge of the paper, makes that short and curved effect. Try taking the forearm straight off the paper, obviously cropped. I think the suggestion for a cast shadow from the sleeve on the arm is a good one, and also you might sharpen the edge on the forward part of the sleeve to make it project more. The arm shadows the lower left part of the sleeve; the upper right part of the sleeve shadows the arm, and the top has no shadow since it's actually hanging on the arm at that point.

Frame it.

("#4" means this is the fourth drawing you've done? Ever?)