PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook In A Month Challenge - Life at Inverness

WYSIWYG
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
As a brief introduction - the idea for this journal was to expand from the only thing I've ever drawn (dogs, dogs and more dogs) but still stay 'close to home' with subjects I'm familiar with. Our home is an old apple farm, which until recently remained in the family of the people who'd originally settled here in the 1800's in a wattle and daub hut until they built this house in 1911. As his wife was from Inverness they named the home after her hometown.

The journal is an A5 Eraldo de Paolo hardcover over spiral binding.

I'd intended today to be a coverpage and sketch of the house but things were so crazy I'm lucky I had ANY time to sketch at all - and I've got to be up in 4 hours for a flyball comp! Which is naturally why I'm posting here!

First two entries:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/301541-pe.jpg
Random lavender pekin hen - watercolour pencils and pen outline. First "anything other than dog" attempt.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2010/301541-DSCF551900.jpg
And in the same vein, at attempt (please note I said attempt!) to draw a person. Oh my gosh people are HARD!!!!! The mouth and teeth, well, let's just say I'll need to study how to not make him look like he's got gum disease! :o The kiddo is my 4.5 year old, who is way cuter in life!

robertsloan2
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Great drawings! I think you really got the little boy well. His teeth look fine except that you didn't shade them at the sides where they start to recede into the mouth. I was surprised at how dark teeth get on the sides, but I got that from the Jack Hamm book on Drawing the Head and Figure.

Gorgeous hen! I'll go post your thread on the Index. Have fun!

christinemlr
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I think these are wonderful. Good for you to use the sketchbook to start to expand your repertoire.

RainySea
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
lovely drawings!!! And I hear you. . . dogs are what I draw too. . . they are my passion for years. Do you show?

Joan T
10-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone!!! The hen looks good, and you did a super job on the face.

eyepaint
10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Love that grin :) :) :)

Vivien Maloney
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Great sketches to begin your new sketchbook.

Ahhhh "Flyball" I loved it. I'm a dog fanatic as well and used to run both my dogs in "Dog Obedience" and all the associated competitive courses. My Jack Russel was very good at flyball but my Newfie/Labrador was not. She loved it but thundered around slowly.

Will follow this sketchbook with interest.

cairomum
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
What a fantastic start! Love the hen especially!
Cairo

WYSIWYG
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks all! :)

Yeah Robert, I think I will have to tweak the mouth! The gums need more shading as well where the tooth 'sits' in them I think and the bottom of the upper lip needs lightening and refining.

Rainy - I show some of the time but am waiting on a new puppy to get back out into the ring. At the moment we do flyball, obedience, herding and dabble in agility. Have done freestyle in the past and want to do tracking when we've got the time to drive out to where the 'local' (+2 hrs away) clubs are! I'm on the breed clubs committee, a breed information officer, on the Health and Hereditary Diseases and Disorders Advisory Panel and a mad behaviour and training geek so I am rather obsessed! LOL Got to jet or I'll be late!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
FANTASTIC sketches/drawings!!!!!

THe Hen is GORGOEOUS, all of her colourings are so subtle and beautiful!

Your son is GORGEOUS TOO, although I agree with Robert about the moth, you have really done a fantastic job for your first portrait. AND you did a familiar subject (ie. your son) which is EVEN HARDER, BECAUSE you know in your mind WHAT they look like, but in your heart and subconcious, we see them differently, and maybe that is why you have drawn him a little older... because in your heart you feel he is "older" than he really is. BUT FANTASTIC ALL THE SAME!!!!!!

Epoh
10-01-2010, 08:48 PM
LOVE the hen!

and I agree, people are hard..kudos to you for doing so well on your first try! I'm impressed :)

virgo68
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Great start - your portrait is very good - practise is all you need! One thing to remember on faces is that we rarely see hard lines, the tones blend smoothly so a darker area might meet a lighter area but it wont be defined with a "hard edge". You certainly have all the beginnings of being a great portraitist though! Enjoy all that October brings!

Greeble
10-01-2010, 09:29 PM
This is what you do outside your comfort zone?

:eek:

JTMB
10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Great work! The chicken is wonderful, and the portrait is well done also.

sarales
10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Ha- I'm with Jen in asking about this being outside your comfort zone!! wow! I LOVE the hen, and your portrait is better than any I've ever done! For a first portrait I think it's amazing.

We got chickens 3 years ago and I have fallen in love with them. :) I'd love a lavendar one!

DrDebby
10-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Yay for trying new things! The hen is great. Your son is adorable. You've done marvelously well for your first portrait.

loobyteacher
10-02-2010, 04:26 AM
wow, these are wonderful!

Vivien Maloney
10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Hearing you talking about Dog Events, makes me miss it so much! My dogs are both now to old for that, and don't keep good health, but I love the sport - especially Agility! My Jack Russell was very good at that. Strangely enough he was quite good at "Obedience" as well, as, of course, Jack Russells are not know to be very obedient!
What breeds of dogs do you own?

GhettoDaveyHavok
10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
You had to put a chicken sketch. Now I am hungrier...

I like the chicken....

poochemio
10-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow that is your first attempt at a human? It's fantastic, and what an adorable child!
Margo:thumbsup:

Chuckcamo
10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
It's always best to try something new. I like how the hen is taking form with the watercolour pencils, the pen outline is well placed. Good job on the kiddo too. :)

WC Lee
10-03-2010, 04:52 AM
great sketches :) you did good for your first attempt at a human portrait

jaforsyth
10-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Great job~ You're little one's portrait is too cute! Nice start~

WYSIWYG
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Vivien - I have Australian Shepherds as well as working-bred Border Collie and Maremma. I've trained all sorts though and worked with many supposedly 'stuborn' or 'stupid' breeds (Sharpei, ShihTzu, Italian Greyhounds, Gordon Setter, Saluki etc) and imo most dogs are pretty good if you know how to work with them and build on their unique traits and natural strengths. :)

And yes, this is way wayyyyyyyyy out of my comfort zone! I've only done a few dozen drawings and those were all Aussie Shepherds. The last time I drew anything else I was a 14 year old! LOL

virgo68 I'll keep that in mind, need to pick another human portrait to try. (The one here doesn't count, it's so small it's barely any room to shade!) I think I have a long way to go though!

Well... I think weekends are going to prove to be my challenge in this in terms of keeping up! Flyball on Saturday 5am-8pm and kaput by that point, then herding Sunday 6am-6pm. Traveling with 3 dogs and 2 small kids! EEP!

So I'm behind but catching up slowly... here's what's new:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/301541-lilytimtam.jpg
My 18 month old, Lily, with Timtam the lamb. There is more detail than shows as I photograph rather than scan them. For non-Aussies a Timtam is a chocolate cookie and I have chocolate coloured sheep. His sire is Corriedale with a touch of Merino while his dam is CorriexCorrie/Leicester Longwool so he's got a funky little tight corkscrews kind of wool. Pencils, um... 3H, B, HB, 2B, 5B? I think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/301541-finch.jpg
Cute little finch we saw on a bird feeder at Yarram. For the birders, it's a Red-browed Finch or Neochmia temporalis temporalis. Derwent watercolour with one or two Aquarell colours I think. Surprisingly the paper doesn't buckle too bad even though it's 100gsm!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/301541-flydog.jpg
Flyball doggie. It was supposed to be my girl Hope but I'm NOT happy... normally I'd bin it and I'm struggling with the fact that these are meant to be relatively quick/unfussy/nonperfect sketches and posted with their warts and all. Derwent Watercolour pencils. :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2010/301541-goose.jpg
One of my neighbors ganders being a bit haughty while trying to decide if I have goodies. ;p Background was totally unintentional - my daughter grabbed my arm while I was drawing and made a big old mark. Crud... what to do? Pretend it was intentional and hatchmark everything! :D Not great but :rolleyes: Such is life! Unipin fineline ink 0.8mm. The marker is WAY too fat for drawing a white bird where delicate lines are called for!

denyalle
10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Wonderful sketches and paintings! :) I think you did a wonderful job on the doggie.

JTMB
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
All these are wonderful! I started doing quick sketches to try too loosen up a bit when I wanted to, but I still fight doing more than I set out wanting to do. So, I think this challenge is great - just post 'em all! :) I hope you'll do some more of the birds that show up at your feeder - being a bird guy, I love to see species that I may never have the chance to see for real.

loobyteacher
10-05-2010, 12:58 PM
all these are great! I guess my favorites are the bird and especially the dog. You really captured the action on that one!

Joan T
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Wonderful sket of Lily with the lamb. Is it from life or a photo? Love the finch and the dog in motion. The negative hatching for the background makes the goose really stand out. I have to thank your daughter.

Epoh
10-05-2010, 05:55 PM
great sketches!
I am LOVING that lamb's coat! and I think the dark crosshatched background around the goose turned out to be a wonderful thing! yea for happy little accidents! :D

RainySea
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Vivien - I have Australian Shepherds as well as working-bred Border Collie and Maremma. I've trained all sorts though and worked with many supposedly 'stuborn' or 'stupid' breeds (Sharpei, ShihTzu, Italian Greyhounds, Gordon Setter, Saluki etc) and imo most dogs are pretty good if you know how to work with them and build on their unique traits and natural strengths. :)

Since I have what is considered a hard/stubborn breed, I totally agree. Not all dogs were bred to work with people -- like most terriers were bred to eradicate vermin independently.

I have bull terriers. If you make it fun for them, they will glady participate.

LOVE your drawings/paintings. Beautiful sketch of Lily and the lamb! The bird is colorful and well-done also. But of course the flyball dog is my fav. I'm a dog enthralled person!

WYSIWYG
10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
John - birds will probably feature heavily, as they're a plentiful victi... er.. subject! I'm from Michigan originally, so I'm still a giant tourist with all our native birds here - gang gang and yellow tail black cockatoos, sulpher crested, corella and gallah, king parrots, eastern and crimson rosella, rainbow and musk lorikeets, red rump parrots, kookaburra, willy wagtail, wattlebirds, honeyeaters, miners, silvereyes, magpies, crested pigeons, welcome swallows etc. are all regular backyard visitors. The king parrots get quite tame and we have one in particular who follows us around, often sitting close enough to touch... people watching I guess!

Joan - the one of Lily and Timtam is from a photo. Both barely hold still long enough to snap a picture let alone sketch and I'd need a LOT better understanding of proportions, anatomy and musculature to predict how they'd look with any accuracy from memory!

Greeble
10-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh lamb! I used to work with sheep, they are fun critters. You did such a good job with all the sketches. And the expression on the goose too

virgo68
10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
All such fun - I'm not seeing any failures! Timtam and your daughter is really gorgeous - I think that one could be worked up into a great finished piece one day (when you've nothing better to do..... lol!).

I like the way you are tackling tonal, colour, line and different medium, it is making a really interesting sketchbook and you will no doubt look back on it in the future and feel glad you left the warts and all in there! :)

eyepaint
10-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Love the happy jumping doggie :)

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Your sketches are delightful. There is nothing in these to be ashamed of.

WYSIWYG
10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Jacquie, my husband will tell you I tend to leap headlong and worry about planning a landing on the way down, so probably pretty typical that I'm messing around with a bit of everything.:lol:

Only one today... I've got to go quicker and sketchier or I'll be forever behind! The annoying thing is that it's the bloody backgrounds that take the longest, the bird was actually quite quick!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2010/301541-king.jpg
King Parrot, Alisterus scapularis. Derwent Watercolour Pencils and Aquarelles. We see these guys in our garden all the time and they become semi-tame and follow us around studying us sometimes. This guy was sitting maybe a foot away from me, just watching and completely unruffled and sometimes comes onto our porch to peek in windows. The females look similar except for colouring, which is all green on the head and breast.

sarales
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Oh, these are all wonderful!! I, too, love the dog jumping- how energetic! I somewhat envy you the opportunity to see all the fantastic birds you do. Wow. I love seeing them through your sketches, too!! (no pressure... )

virgo68
10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Beautiful colours, love it - and it seems a lot of species of birds are nosey - I have a little magpie comes tapping at the window most days looking in at me!

JTMB
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, nicely done! And of course I am envious of your native birds down under. (The grass is always greener, and the birds are always neater, or something like that...?) :) We have two birder friends who feed birds, and the husband started putting out whole peanuts because the Steller's Jays (a corvid, same family as crows and ravens - very smart) liked them. They now have a Steller's Jay who shows up every day and squawks at the window from their deck until our friend goes out with peanuts. Then the jay quiets down and attacks the peanuts.

Greeble
10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty bird, pretty bird!

Next thing you know they will be walking in your front door :)

poochemio
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, I think all of them are quite impressive! I would be "touristy" about the birds too. How many layers of you watercolor pencils does it take to get such wonderful effects on the bird feathers? I'm in awe.
Margo

DrDebby
10-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Gorgeous bird.

WYSIWYG
10-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Margo, it's mainly coloured as one layer but I sometimes darken a shadow if I misjudged and touch up hard highlights after if it needs to be harder/crisper by running a damp brush across the tip of the pencil and drawing with it. The alternative would be touching it up with a bit of acrylic I guess.

Here's this afternoons - a little partridge colour Wyandotte chick mid-hatching in an incubator. *chip*...*chip*...*chip*...and I'm free!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2010/301541-fresh.jpg
My daughter nabbed a pencil just as I was finishing and swiped it straight across the middle. Thank heaven for erasers hey! :lol:

JTMB
10-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Now that is an interesting subject for a drawing! Very nice! Something I've not ever seen - I'm amazed at the size of its feet. He didn't have a lot of wiggle room in there, did he?! :)

kleif
10-07-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm a dog fanatic as well and used to run both my dogs in "Dog Obedience" and all the associated competitive courses. so i like it.

WYSIWYG
10-07-2010, 04:45 AM
They do have absurd looking feet when they come out! :lol: Part of that is the perspective of the picture but also because they are wet and slick when they hatch. They about double the visual size and look more proportional once fluffed up!:D

By hatch they have zero room. If you shine a torch (flashlight) behind them in a dark room there is only a tiny air sac left and they are folded tightly into themselves. They break into the air sac to pip which gives just enough space to rotate, absorb the blood and yolk remains, tie off the yolk stem, break loose and hatch. It can take 24-48 hours and quite often you'll hear them *peep peep* while they work at it.:)

virgo68
10-07-2010, 04:50 AM
The watercolour chick is just beautiful, what an original subject too :)

sarales
10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
How precious!!! I just LOVE chickens, and your hatching one is fantastic!! We've had chickens for 3 years now. I never knew how fascinating, pretty and funny they could be. I don't think I'd ever seen a live chicken face to face until we moved out of the city and got some three years ago. :)

RainySea
10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
lovely parrot but that hatchling is amazing. . . is that one wc pencils? wonderful details with his little wet feathers and all. EXCELLENT work

WYSIWYG
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I know, chooks are just the best! (Oh... except for ducks and geese, I can't leave them out!)

Yes, watercolour pencils. I've never actually used regular watercolours, discounting the kids kind I had as a tot. ;)

rmcbuckeye
10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Since I have what is considered a hard/stubborn breed, I totally agree. Not all dogs were bred to work with people -- like most terriers were bred to eradicate vermin independently.

I have bull terriers. If you make it fun for them, they will glady participate.

LOVE your drawings/paintings. Beautiful sketch of Lily and the lamb! The bird is colorful and well-done also. But of course the flyball dog is my fav. I'm a dog enthralled person!

I've never owned any of those breeds, BUT I can tell you this. My Beagle/Boston Terrier mix, Hank is a STUBBORN boy. It must be the terrier in him? He is so bent on getting a chipmunk or whatever animal it is that is living in a small tree in the corner of the backyard. He goes there first thing in the morning, look up, bark, bark, bark, then give up, then goes back in the afternoon, same thing, again right before he goes to bed! He's quite a dog, I'll tell you that. Once he's got his mind made up, you can't convince him to come inside or stop barking.

denyalle
10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
What a wonderful subject to try. I've never seen that before, nice job. Thanks for the additional background information on how they hatch, I just kind of assumed things but never knew the finite details :)

Vivien Maloney
10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Love ALL your sketches/drawings but that tiny chick hatching is superb. Love the gentleness and care you've put into it! Terrific work.

DrDebby
10-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Amazing subject. Excellent drawing of the hatching.

WC Lee
10-08-2010, 04:49 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2010/301541-king.jpg

this is beautiful

vhere
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
the hatching chick is beautifully done :)

flashviv
10-08-2010, 04:56 PM
the king parrot is fabulous and so are your other sketches, you are really getting some great work together in this book

10-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi WYSIWYG

Lily and Timtam are just ADORABLE!!!!!

The Birds are beautiful.

As always your Dogs are just DEVINE, just LOVE that action and movement!

The Wyandate Chick is STUNNING!!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey:grouphug:

eyepaint
10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow! Love the partridge chick!

Chuckcamo
10-11-2010, 03:35 AM
your sketch book is looking awesome... great job on those birds...

WYSIWYG
10-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Few more, while I've got a minute to upload...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2010/301541-8lamb.jpg
One of our lambs running around chasing his little mates! The lamb races are just horribly cute! :heart: The penwork is not quite what I'd like but it was kind of fun as all of his coat is made of little figure 8's - fat ones, thin ones, tall ones, short ones, sideways and angled ones... but figure 8's!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2010/301541-badcrocus.jpg
A rather dreadful crocus! Well... it was supposed to be, poor thing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2010/301541-contentment.jpg
Aylesbury duck snoozing and sunning herself.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2010/301541-cinna.jpg
Cinnamon the Cinnabun, one our our litter-trained house bunnies, napping on the bed. She's a sooty fawn sort of colour. :)

sarales
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Oh, my goodness! Cinnamon is wonderful!! I love all of them, but she's my favorite. :) (How cool that bunnies can be litter-trained!)

JTMB
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Excellent set of sketches! The bunny is simply incredible! Was the rabbit all watercolor, or does it have a bit of other media? :wave:

Vivien Maloney
10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Love the lamb sketch! Our lambs are also at the running, skipping and jumping in the air stage. Such fun to watch them having lamb races. You're right, their coats are made up of figure 8's.
The rabbit painting is terrific! I thought it was a photo at first, then I realised it was watercolor, well done!

eyepaint
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Love that bunny!!!

DrDebby
10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Wonderful sketches. The bunny is just awesome. So cute too.

WYSIWYG
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep - buns can use a litter tray just like a kitty. Most people keep them in hutches instead of housepets so they don't get a good idea of what individuals they are. :)

Cinna is all watercolour pencils except the initial sketch (light HB pencil) but done as light and dark layers as I was a bit inspired* by it being mentioned. (*Read: it'd never occured to me before as prior to this I'd done about 5 sketches with them and less than 10 all up over the past few years. :o)

virgo68
10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Lovely sketches but the bunny is wonderfully drawn and just so cute! I own a bunny, he lives outside in a hutch but he has a litter tray in there - when he comes out into the garden he poops in the same spot every time - so yes! they are very trainable!

We'd love to have Harry in the house more often but he has a fetish for chewing electrical cords or any sort of "dangly" things! Once, my hubbys trackpants were hanging upside down on the washing line and the ties were dangling down unevenly - yep - Harry went along and nibbled the long one so they were perfectly matched in length........ he's a bugger but we love him!

vhere
10-12-2010, 03:49 AM
The rabbit and the lamb are beautifully done - gorgeous!

WYSIWYG
10-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Haha, yes most buns are VERY good at finding cords! We cable the wires together and use plastic tubing and cable covers to encase them. The buns occasionally try to nibble one but can't get the cords and can quickly get redirected to a more appropriate chew item! LOL

loobyteacher
10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
these are all wonderful, I do like the bunny!

jmb57
10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
love all your sketches, but the rabbit is just so cute.
didnt know they could house trained. it is illegle to keep them as pets here.

Chuckcamo
10-13-2010, 12:23 AM
the bunny looks awesome... very nice sketches...

WYSIWYG
10-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Yep - it is illegal in Queensland... unless you're a magician. I'm told by many rabbit owning friends that Queensland may have the highest population of magicians of any state in Aus! ;)

Two new ones from me - sorry for the size, my regular photo program is stuffing up so I'm running them purely through the WC uploader at 800 pixel as the reduction!

First, an attempt to do very quick and loose. My daughter cueing the dogs to sit before she tosses the ball. Well, it was quick but loose... eh, as in life, my inner control freak couldn't quite let go. I did an outline before scribbling in, so not sure if it counts. :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2010/301541-sketchloose.jpg

And then the "I Lost My Marker... Hey, I'll Just Use A Ballpoint Pen" sketch. We get echidna in our garden often enough and we always know it because the dogs go off in a panic and insist mum come to check out the strange space invaders from mars! I like how it came out but :eek: I will never (at least till I forget what a pain it was) use ballpoint pen to draw again! Nine bajillion quadrillion gajillion hatch marks to get the shading!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2010/301541-sketchechid.jpg

loobyteacher
10-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I think the one of your daughter with the 2 dogs is great. They don't seem to be listening, but she is in full command.
The other is just wonderful! The high contrast is beautiful!

vhere
10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
both really successful - I actually like ballpoint pen to draw with!

rmcbuckeye
10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I honestly love your sketch of your daughter with the two dogs, it's precious! It shows the bond between her & the dogs. :)

DrDebby
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
The one of your daughter and the dogs is precious. So cute.

Whether you like the ball point or not, you did a fantastic job on your "alien".

Chuckcamo
10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
both sketches are awesome... I like the line work in your daughter and 2 dogs, the pen sketch looks great too.

10-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi WYSIWYG,

The Lamb is GORGEOUS
The crocus is still good!
The Aylesbury Duck is FNATASTIC! The dark background really makes it stand out!!!!
Cinnamon is just simply GORGEOUS!!!!!
Your Daughter is a sweety.
The Echidna is OUTSTANDING! Even if you don't like ballpoint, it is a FUN medium for "quick" sketches!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

JTMB
10-15-2010, 12:54 AM
The girl with the pooches is fantastic!

virgo68
10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm with Viv and find the ballpoint can be quite versatile!

I really enjoyed your new stuff, your daughter with the dogs is so cute and the echidna is fantastic - I like the way you handled the whole lot ;)

christinemlr
10-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Oh ALL this work is just fantastic. This is going to be such a good sketchbook when its filled. How are you enjoying branching out from the dogs? I think the the child with dogs is my most favourite though, because you've caught a particular interaction between them that says it all. You have a good variety of sketching methods too.

WYSIWYG
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

Well... obviously I didn't go so well with the October challenge. :crying: I got sidelined by all of us getting the flu followed by chest infections, an ear infection, a sinus infection, an injured hand (mine) and my husband volunteering me :evil: for a large commissioned set of dog portraits that I'm hating doing. However I want to try to do the November challenge and felt I should post the few sketches I did get done in the October book soooo... without further rambling here they are!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-badsunset.jpg
A sunset, albeit not a very good one! WC pencils with a heavier wash, done from life very quickly as the sun was gone as fast as I could block it in. The colours were too hard to figure out how to get!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-duck.jpg
One of our Aylesbury ducks in the tall grass waddling down to the pond. Chunk o' graphite stick I was given. Also worked from life - trying to get a bit better about it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-romeo.jpg
One of my house-bunnies, Romeo, all flopped out on the carpet. Pen and thinned acrylics. From life.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-romeo1.jpg
Romeo again but this time hiding in his kitty condo. Paynes grey acrylic thinned down, from life.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-roo.jpg
A Wyandotte roo, the chunky graphite stick again, also from life. Kind of came out neat!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-silkieroo.jpg
A white Silkie rooster head-sketch. For those not familiar Silkies are a small breed of chicken with some unusual features. Their feathers do not zip together as most birds do but fluff out so that they look like overgrown Tribbles. As well their skin is black so the wattles and comb - which is walnut shaped rather than a single comb - are also black. Their ears are bright turquoise, they have a floofy topknot on their heads which is desired to be so large it nearly covers their head and they have extra toes. They are the sweetest chooks around and make fabulous broodies and mums.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-sit.jpg
A quick Aussie, blue merle. (Look ma! I found a use for the ivory black in my acrylic set!) From a photo but without pre-sketching. Thinned acrylics and a too-fat-paintbrush making it clunky... :o

Hope to catch up on everyones sketchbooks soon!

vhere
11-02-2010, 03:36 PM
that's a nice one :)

Joan T
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Wonderful sketches!!! It is good to catch up on what you've done. The one of the partridge hatching is just super, as is the one of your daughter with the dogs. Great job!

JTMB
11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Very nice group of sketches! My favorites are the lazy bunny, the fancy chicken and of course the Aussie dog.

Davkin
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Great group of sketches!

David

virgo68
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Great collection of sketches again, but I am rather partial to bunnies ;) It is really interesting to see the different results you get with the various medium.

Epoh
11-03-2010, 02:19 AM
what a wonderful group of sketches!

love Romeo flopped on the floor, looks like a page in a children's book :)

RainySea
11-03-2010, 10:38 AM
lovely . . . that flopped over bunny is so cute! Looks like how my dogs sprawl on the carpet sometimes :)

Great curlie black lamb.

And love the one of the kid giving a treat to the two dogs! GREAT pose. . .

sarales
11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
My goodness! You are SO talented. I love the wyandotte and the silkie!!!! I've wanted a silkie for a while now. Your drawings are fantastic. That aussie dog is so well done. :)

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Marvelous group of sketches. Love the bunnies.

Don't be down on yourself. Sounds like you were hit hard last month. Life happens. Hope everyone is on the mend now.

seejay
11-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Great seeing your work, especially those animals from life. :clap:

What's the secret, giving them sedatives??:evil: I can't get my beasts to stay still....

JTMB
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm don't think sedatives would help with Aussies...! :) I should be drawing my two Labs more because at 14 1/2 and 14 years old, they are much improved as subjects - that is if you like sketching sleeping dogs!

A guy I used to work with got an Aussie puppy when his first child was a toddler. They lived in a small house with almost no yard, so the poor dog didn't get much exercise at home. They did however take him out frequently to off-leash dog parks, etc. The first time they took him along with them on a drive out in the country, they got out by a farm to take some pictures - the farm had a field of sheep. The dog hopped out of the car, bounded around a little bit and then spied the sheep. They said his whole demeanor changed, he leaped over the fence and into the field and proceeded to herd all the sheep into the corner of the field - all this at a young age and with no training. When the instinct kicked in, they said his whole attitude was like...'OH, so THIS is what I'm supposed to be doing!'

WYSIWYG
11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I think it's just because they all run around like mad things the rest of the day! We're lucky enough to have a decent size property where everyone gets lots of time to fill their needs. The birds when they come out are quite excitable but after a full day of roaming the paddocks, stalking bugs, selecting tasty bits of fallen fruit etc they get tuckered. The bunnies have run of the house and are littertrained so they get plenty of room to stretch their legs. You'll all notice I haven't attempted my 1 year old working sheepdog Rin. Best description of her came from my vet who laughed when I said I'd got a new dog and said, "Bloody hell, that's not a dog! It's adrenaline in a little black jacket!"

And yep - the instinct turning on is an awesome thing to see! Mind you, that instinct requires a good bit of training to be a useful stockdog who can work with it's owners goals but that instinct to work gather or drive is not something you can train into them if it's not there. :)