PDA

View Full Version : Need Workshop Info, please.

Tisiphone
10-01-2010, 05:38 AM
I keep reading about these awesome workshops being given by talented pastelists, but I can't seem to find any in Florida. There are a few galleries in my area so I know there must be a lot of talent around. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting info on these workshops? Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places. Do we have a thread here for this? :crossfingers:

*Deirdre*
10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I think there is a forum on WC that caters for workshop info...I'll just have a look then add the info for you. No...it's for personal triumphs/ exhibitions etc. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

However...have had another thought...look on the IAPS website for their Florida branch...and see if you can find out more from them...

Kathryn Wilson
10-01-2010, 08:17 AM
The current Pastel Journal lists Doug Dawson as having workshops in Bonita Springs and Tampa in the spring of 2011.

Albert Handell is scheduled for one in May.

Susan Ogilvie in March.

The PJ is a good magazine for this information - subscribe!

dobber
10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Greg Biolchini lives in Fort Myers and has regular workshops in his studio and plein air.

Studio-1-F
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Aw, c'mon Lisa! What better excuse to travel, eh? A workshop in a new place, seeing new scenery, and making all new friends! Go for it! :D

Jan (grew up in soFLA and was thrilled & delighted to leave it)

Lisa Fiore
10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Lisa! A great way to learn about workshops in your area is to join some local art organizations. I am in the St Augustine area and am a member of the St Augustine Art Association and the Art Guild of Orange Park. I don't know where you are in FL, but I bet you have similar type organizations where you are. There are many advantages to becoming involved in such groups, and I wish I would have joined as soon as I moved here and not waited so long!

I know that there is an upcoming pastel plein air workshop here with local pastellist Lyn Asselta. http://lynasselta.fineartstudioonline.com/ (I'd love to attend but it is the same weekend as my son's birthday!) If you are in this area, PM me and I'd be happy to send you more info.

*Deirdre*
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
The current Pastel Journal lists Doug Dawson as having workshops in Bonita Springs and Tampa in the spring of 2011.

Albert Handell is scheduled for one in May.

Susan Ogilvie in March.

The PJ is a good magazine for this information - subscribe!
Oops...I have subscribed....but when I read it, being in the UK, I ignore any USA workshops as I know they're not for me:( ...but I could have used it as a source of info!:o Sorry Lisa!

Lynndidj
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
If there are any artists you admire, check on their websites under "workshops." Sometimes you have to commit up to a year in advance, but that gives you time to save up money for travel expenses! Often times there are opportunities to share hotel rooms with another artist to help keep expenses lower. It is a great thing to travel to a part of the country you have never seen and paint there with someone whose work you admire. I just did this in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and my husband and I took the opportunity to have a vacation out there as well. It was wonderful, the scenery was spectacular, and every time I look back over my photos I'm inspired all over again!! Go for it!!

Lynn

PETE K
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I would be interested also for the N/E Fl. I find only watercolour artist workshops around here.

Lisa Fiore
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I would be interested also for the N/E Fl. I find only watercolour artist workshops around here.

Pete, if you'd like to PM me your email address, I can forward all of the workshop and event emails that I get as I get them. Although it is probably a bit of a drive for you, you might consider joining the St Augustine Art Association--they have new juried shows every month and their gallery gets A LOT of visitors. (It's located on Charlotte St in the "old town" section where there are several galleries, and they participate in the First Friday Artwalk, where I am going shortly:) ) I made my first sale from one of their shows and they only ask for a 20% donation for the sale which is nice!

Tisiphone
10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Dierdre, Kathryn, Jan, Dobber, Elizabeth, and Lynn! Thanks so much for your help with this! Jan, I love to travel but sadly we don't have much of an opportunity to get away. I told my husband that one day we are going to buy a Winnebago (or whatever they are called these days), and load up the pets and see this beautiful country we live in. For now, I'll have to stay local, but I agree with the idea of leaving Florida behind some day. Too hot and too crazy. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've saved it and I'm going to check out these artists!

bnoonan
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Lisa, I'm late here but I'm going to suggest you choose wisely on your workshop. Try to see who is in your local pastel society first... It's not uncommon to just ask if someone locally teaches and you can learn so much from them and not have to worry about making a huge investment.

Wet Canvas is a fabulous learning ground too... but taking even a class once in awhile is going to set you on your way. Keep up the great work and do lots of it. I personally found there was strength and growth when I painted a lot.

Barb