PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble October 2010

Shirl Parker
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

I hope you all have a fine, productive month. :wave:

allydoodle
10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Hello. I ocassionally post in the scumble, but not very much. I guess I'm too boring :lol: ! Anyway, last month I was in a portrait show with a few art friends of mine. The mediums shown were pastels, graphite pencil, charcoal, colored pencil, acrylics, and watercolor. The following is a link to where you can find a few photos of the display. The first photo is my work. One wall has four pastels, as well as in the display case, the other wall has graphite pencil and charcoal pieces. I also had three more graphite pencils on another wall, but that wasn't shown in the article.

This was a non-competiive show, so there were not ribbons or awards. It was for display/sale only. It was a really nice show, and my friends' displays were wonderful! I wish there was a picture of the watercolors, and another pastelist friend of mine. Somehow, those two displays didn't get pictures. I'm not too happy about that :( , as their work was awesome! The watercolors are so loose, yet accurate, and the pastelist that is missing is my very good friend/mentor (his pastel portraits are unbelievable!) Anyway, I don't do too many shows, and this one was fun. I thought I would share, so here's the link:

http://www.sayville.com/news.asp?news=749

Lynndidj
10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Congratulations Chris! It looks like it was a lovely show. How nice to exhibit without the pressure of "who is first, second, third, etc." I'm boring too - so I don't post in scumble a lot either.

Life is busy, and trying to fit in time for painting is so difficult these days. My Mom is going downhill fast with dementia, and I'm running over there so much ... it is very disheartening to be truthful. She is so confused. We are going to look at some assisted living places today that also have memory care units so her husband can be close ... perhaps something will look good to them. Over a year ago I planned to take the McKinley workshop in Hope Valley (which was last month) and the Sally Strand in Ann Arbor, MI in a couple of weeks. I guess that is my way of dealing with some of this - forcing time for my art by going to workshops. Of course, I never expected to be dealing with dementia last year, but by not letting myself cancel I'm forced to go. Richard was awesome, and I'm inspired and anxious to be spending time putting what I learned into practice. I've taken Sally's workshop before, but felt there was much more for me to learn from her as well so I'm going again!! I know that "success" is dependent on practice - doing and doing things over and over in the studio until they are mastered. It is just that my first priority has to be to honor my Mom by making sure she is cared for and loved - art has to fit in around that. So ... that's where I'm at today. Throwing a family birthday party for Mom on Sunday as she will be 84 on the 7th, so it will be nice to have everyone here - except my daughter as she lives in New Orleans. She will be home the next weekend - I will be gone - but she will get to have time with Grandma then. Sometimes I long for the old days (when I wasn't even born!) when families lived close together and cared for their elderly loved ones together in their homes. Like on the Waltons? Yeah ... doesn't happen too much any more.

Lynn

gardencorner
10-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Shirl....thanks for hosting this thread every month! Your efforts are appreciated. :) Although I read the thread I've never posted here. (Not sure I have much that's interesting to say?! :confused: ) Congrats on the show Chris! :clap: Beautiful work! Thank you for listing the link. (Think you should share in Pastel Talk also w/your own thread. MHO...respectfully submitted, feel free to ignore. :wink2: ) Lynn so sorry to hear about your mom. Hope you're able to find a place where she'll be safe and loved...and close by. This aging thing isn't easy! My husband is in Ohio visiting his dad, also 84 next week. He fell down his basement steps 2 wks ago...luckily he survived but scared everyone to pieces. And a dear friend of mine had a stroke this week. She's only 60. Physically she feels fine, but her memory has huge blanks and she's struggling a little bit to read and speak. Glad I have the pastels to turn to when events take place that make my heart ache.

Shirl Parker
10-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you Shea.:heart:

allydoodle
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Shirl,

A big "Thank You" to you from me also, for hosting this thread :heart: .

Lynn,

So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you find a place for her that you like and feel comfortable with. That is a very tough decision to make. Really difficult times I'm sure.

Shea,

Thank you. You are right, I actually didn't think of posting in Talk, but I think I will - why not :D?

You're going through tough times too. Glad your father in law is doing okay. Sounds like quite a scare. Sorry about your friend too. A friend of mine had a mini-stroke last week also. He's okay, but scared everyone quite a bit as well.

the drover's dog
10-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry to hear about the worries with elderly parents. It's a difficult time for both the parents and the children when care decisions have to be made. One can't help but feel guilty when the decision is made that they need professional care in a special facility.

Trying to keep busy and not think about the recent loss of my DH. A bit of retail art supplies therapy does the trick when I'm feeling blue. The plastic is groaning! Currently in the midst of agonies of indecision on which pastels to buy from the US whilst our dollar is high. I'd like some Ludwigs but they look so stingy in size for the cost. I feel the same about the few Unisons I have - besides the Unisons are scratchy with pumice and I dislike them.

This is a major purchase for me and I'm scared of choosing unwisely. I have a fat shopping list made out for 18 Mt. Visions from open stock and a couple of sets of Great Americans - trying to find out which colours might be repeated in which sets. I'm liking the Big Grey Box of 39 GA pastels. None of the Landscape sets have colours suitable for Australia, no matter which Northern Hemisphere manufacturer you look at. Actually some of the portrait sets are nearer the Aussie landscape colours but they don't quite have enough of the blue-greens and warm golds and red-tans I need and the value ranges I like. I want the convenience of the smaller boxes for Plein Air work. Love my Art Spectrums and Schminkes, but want to play with something new.

In the Great American Landscape sets, if the colours are warm, then the greens are wrong. If the greens are okay, then the rest of the palette is too cold. Grrrr!! The choice so far is looking impossible! Want one of the GA 78s, but none are quite what I need. Currently shopping on the FineArt Store site as their prices are the best but it's driving me crazy being unable to really compare one set with another because I can't open a new browser tab to flip between screens. Why do they disable right clicking? It won't stop competitors from pinching their images. I'm off to try screen capturing and pasting side-by-side into a Word document in the hope of better comparison, but I shouldn't have to resort to these tactics. Wish I could find a list of what colours are in what sets. Dakota's site needs some work doing on it as their colour lists are incomplete and their pics of sets are non-existant.

Might go back and have another look at the Mount Visions sets. Oh this is hellish! I hate decisions!!!

Anyone know anything recent about the reliability and postage charges for Fine Art Stores? Found an old, old thread about supplies retailers, but things can change.

Went and helped to start the cleanup of the studio of a friend who recently passed away. Gut wrenching job. Her daughter has given all her art materials, books, easels etc., to our art society. I brought all the crusty dried up brushes home to try and clean them up. Heavens knows how many years they have been sitting there in their filthy glory. She was very naughty about getting paint deep down into the ferrul. Been soaking and cleaning for the past three days and they are still far from clean. Some are stiff with oils and some with acrylics and hard to tell which is which. Brush cleaner soap seems to be starting the restoration job. The thought being that if I can clean them up, then some of the not so well off in the Society might be able to use them. Must be a hundred or so grungy brushes in all shapes and sizes, that have not even been dipped in water or turps since they applied the last paint years ago.

Back to shopping......

Dale

Dot Hoffman
10-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I haven't been around for a while...never enough time. Can anyone else relate?:lol:

Just got back from a 4 day trip to northern New Mexico where we took tons of photos: mountains, forests, rivers, high plains. Our lodge apartment was 20 feet from the Red River, and we had ducks and deer eating out of our hands every evening. What fun that was! It was a wonderful trip but I tire more easily that I did when I was younger. Always glad to get home to our own bed.

I cleaned my studio last week, after DH bought a new bookcase to expand my storage space. What a difference that made. Now I can actually find things:wink2:

And, the best news, all three of my entries into the Small Works (maximum 48 square inches) show in November (in conjunction with the National Show in Albuquerque) have been juried in! I'm thrilled.

Stay dusty everyone :)

Lynndidj
10-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Congratulations Dot!! Way to go!!!

Dale - it must be very frustrating to live where you can't get all of the art supplies we talk about here on WC. FYI, if you e-mail Dakota they can and will give you a list of what colors are in each set - I just asked them for a couple of Schminke sets and they were great about it.

About the Ludwigs - they are a fabulous pastel, and I don't think you can go wrong with them. They are beautifully square and highly pigmented, and quite soft. With a light touch you can just breathe the color on the surface. Terry often answers the phone and I'm sure he would put a set together for you with Australian colors if you called and asked.

I just purchased the Mount Vision thunderstorm grays, and I love the colors. I'm not used to the MV because it is a harder pastel, but then again I've not used them much yet. You certainly can't go wrong with the amount of pastel for the money with the MV's - they are large!

In regards to your GA search, perhaps you may have to combine a couple of sets and use the greens in still life or something? I have the McKinley set and do love them, however, I combine all of my pastels in a Heilman box for plein air work - then I also leave it open on my table in my studio - so I don't use them out of their own box. I have also ordered from fineartstore.com, and they have also been great about answering questions - it may just take a little longer via e-mail - usually I just phone them.

Hang in there, ask lots of questions, and hopefully people here can give you some advice. Perhaps others from Australia have ordered some of the pastels you are looking at and can give you some feedback. You also might try a post in Soft Pastel Talk as more people would see it.

Lynn

Colourist52
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Hello, I have often looked in here but have never posted before, I don't know why. Very sorry to hear about the illness of elderly parents, I completely understand. My mother is only 76 but last September she suddenly started to have attacks involving very severe stomach pain and nausea. She was rushed to hospital about five or six times over the course of a few months before her condition was sorted out. Of course, most of the times the ambulance was called by my father ( who is 81 and very healthy) was in the middle of the night, about 1.00 or 2.00 in the morning. I was doing my best and over at my parent's unit nearly every day, but my mother got really upset with me because I didn't go to the hospital in the middle of the night! Thank goodness, her health has improved recently, although she still has a few minor problems. I am one of three daughters but my two sisters are living in other states and I think because I'm the only one left here she wants me to be there all the time, especially when she is unwell.

I'm really trying to make time to paint more now. I made a resolution to sketch or paint every day but on Saturday while we were out for dinner I became violently ill with severe nausea and i've been out of action now for three days! On the bright side, I'm feeling much better now and will start painting again tomorrow.

Dale, I mainly use Rembrandts, some Art Spectrums and I love my Schminckes! I also use Unisons, they are lovely on the Colourfix paper. I do have sets of Ludwigs, Great Americans and Senneliers but I find that I don't like their colours as much.

I hope that I haven't rambled too much and bored everyone! All the best to everyone and good luck with your pastel endevours!

Deborah Secor
10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't get to visit here much either, and boy, do I ever relate to the elderly parents talk! My mom is 98 and fairly healthy, but she has a certain amount of expected dementia at her age. She lives with us, which requires a bit of a sense of humor at times.

I have little time to paint so I paint little pieces, which has necessitated a change of medium for me. Which brings me to the reason I'm here. I actually just popped in to leave this message. I want to invite you to visit my gouache blog, linked in my signature. I have a fun little surprise there. :heart:

pastellady
10-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow, can certainly relate to all the "parent" issues. We moved in with my Mom when she had a fall. She is having TIA's which we are going to different doctors to check out and find solutions for. I can totally relate to Deborah's need for a sense of humor. We finally figured out why we find houseshoes in the frig, glasses in the washer,-well you get the picture. Whatever she has in her hands at the moment another idea enters goes whereever she is heading with the new idea. Thus when she goes for milk-houseslippers end up in the frig and when she heads in to do her laundry-yeah-you guessed it, she takes her glasses off and there they stay. Having rescue animals has really helped me with patience and given me the sense of humor that life requires you to have at times.

I keep telling my kids to get ready-their time is coming sooner than they think and I expect the same great care that my Mom gets. I think they are already starting to look for nursing homes. LOL

Happy painting and keep that sense of humor going,
Jennylynne

saramathewson
10-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I feel for everyone dealing with their elderly parents. mine are gone now(mom in '99, and dad in '87) They were young (well mom was 76, dad was 64) but they were both lifetime smokers which lead to their deaths.

Well, i am finally getting settled in to my new place in Mpls. I do have a whole wall of boxes needing to be broken down and bins to sort through, but my studio is set up as best it can be at this time until I go through the bins, and get a bookshelf for all the odds and ends including the books! so, I plan to get some more stuff sorted so i can start painting this weekend hopefully. It is just a small spare bedroom so I need good storage. My good friend Sue helped me with with this(Well, she actually did it all except I helped move a large table from the LR to the studio. ) That was quite the ordeal as the hallway is quite narrow to get back there! But, we put our heads together and figured it out and without scratching the hardwood floors too!

I finally saw a doc up here and this one is not willing to prescribe me my pain meds. ugh. but wants me to go to a pain clinic. I did make the appt. paying half up front but don't think I can actually afford it. They will want me to wean off the meds. If it wasn't so darn expensive I would do it but, trying to figure out other alternative. I got my meds up here for the first time( no insurance yet) and they were over $1500.00! not including the pain meds I get elsewhere for the time being. Well, I can't afford that every month so am thinking of keeping my doc in AZ and flying down 2-3 times a year to see him and have a friend pick up my meds and ship them to me. I have been doing this thus far and it will still be a much cheaper route. Once I get on insurance(Feb. I think) I can find a doc here. But am fairly certain that they won't cover the cost of the pain clinic as I have had this insurance in the past(high risk pool) and they wouldn't cover the pain clinic when I lived in Rochester, MN. I will see if I can find a primary care physician willing to do the weaning with me. I have been on pain meds full time for three years so weaning off will be a little difficult. sigh. Plus, winter is such a bad time for that as my pain increases with the cold. for that I am missing AZ and NM. And of course the scenery and friends I made while living there. I am loving the fall colors though. I haven't been up here in the fall for probably 5-6 years now and it is beautiful. i need to get some photos before the colors are all gone. (need batteries for the camera)

I did have some drama this past week with my ex but am happy to say we are completely done, done, done. Needless to say I found out about more deception and it has been a tough one. glad to have that out of my life. so happy to be near friends and family. I see my girls about once a month, but talk and text several times a week.

My son will be taking his leave before being shipped out in November. still not sure where he will go. Asking for prayers that he pass the medic training course. He has failed the exam twice and gets one more try at it. Otherwise he would have to pic something else like infantry or scouting. I would much rather have him be a medic, and so would he. This would go far for his self esteem not to mention many other reasons. so if you are a prayerful person please take the time to say one for my son Dominic Sawyer.

that is about it. i have written a lengthy one again. Can't quite get the hang of writing short blurbs.

have a good month everyone and happy painting for those that can. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers:)

Sara

Lynndidj
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice apples Deborah!! They do look good enough to eat!

Sara - sounds like you are getting settled in, but the medical issues sound difficult. Perhaps the new health care bill will help you out sooner rather than later. I know that some things don't go into effect right away though. Here is hoping that your son knocks the test out of the park the next time around!

Thanks all for your support about elderly parents - I know many people struggle with this issue in so many different ways. We are making it day by day, and will be going to daily help in the house for Mom. I'm grateful my parents had the foresight to invest in Long Term Care Insurance 25 years ago - we have needed it for both of them now.

I have spent today as DAY 1 in my Sally Strand workshop in Ann Arbor, MI. She is such a great teacher, if you have the chance to study with her - GRAB IT!! But be prepared - it is hard, you will learn tons, and be very tired at the end of the day. I will try and post some pics in the Gallery - didn't photograph my work today as I was too busy working!!!

Lynn

scall0way
10-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Great to see everyone here. I have not stopped by in quite a while. It's been a hectic year for me with my dad dying, both my dogs dying, my son and his family moving 1000 miles away, getting laid off from my job, trying to get my house ready to sell as I can't afford to stay in it anymore.... Just one thing after another keeping me away from my art. But I'm trying to make some time for it as it's good therapy.

My mom suffered from Alzheimer's for 20 years so I understand the issue of dealing with aging parents. Julie, you have the burden my youngest sister had - living near my parents while my other sister and I lived 550 miles away. So she was the one who always had to deal first-hand with my parents' health issues, and I think she still feels bitter towards my other sister and me that we were not there more often. But it was awfully hard to be when you are 550 miles away and have a job (at least I did at the time :lol: ) you can't afford to lose by taking time off either ....

Anyway, I was just appointed 2nd VP and Exhibitions Chair of the Pastel Society of New Jersey, so that is an exciting new venture for me. I got to see my son, DiL, and 13-month-old grandson last weekend as they came up to NY State for DiL's sister's wedding. Over in the Gallery I posted a painting called "Grandpa" from a photo I took on that wedding weekend. I mentioned there that my tiny grandson was *supposed* to be the ring-bearer - which as someone commented sounded like a miracle for a 13-month-old! As indeed it would have been but DiL's sister really wanted her only nephew involved.

But here is a picture of my grandson with his other grandmother, showing what *really* happened to his ring-bearer gig at the wedding, :Dhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2010/62165-032_screaming_John_again.JPG

pastellady
10-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Debbie, That pic is so cute! It reminds me of my little brother who was ringbearer at my wedding. He was 4 and not into girls, so when the little flowergirl took his arm to walk down the isle with him-you got it-he slugged her. then during the ceremony he sat on the kneeling rail facing the crowd and made faces. Oh and did I mention, that my then two year old sister(who kept telling Mom she had to go peepee) finally couldn't hold it and at a very quiet time in the service hollared-"Mommy, I went peepee!" and that she did right in the church pew. It could have been an omen as the marriage only lasted for 7 years-first hubby forgots where he should park his shoes at night. Second marriage went much smoother and is still going after 34 years. So all ends well.

I am going to move my studio back to Lee' Summit at the end of November. My landlord moved in a Dent repair shop next door and between the cussing you can hear between the wall and the constant hammering-ugh!!! My hubby owns the property I'm moving to and so I won't have to pay rent or utilities. Yeah! My 84 year old Mom,when I told her I was getting the space free, commented that "Well you do sleep with him, don't you". she is such a riot sometimes.

Have a great day.
Jennylynne

the drover's dog
10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Poor Debbie, you are having a bit of a rough trot at the moment. Hope it all smooths out and gets right back on track very soon. Loved "The Reluctant Ringbearer"!

Jennylynne, you just brought on the worst laughter-induced coughing fit.......not good when you are sitting propped up in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask making you feel like Darth Vader. Been in here for five days so far and they say I'll be stuck here for a few more days. I've pneumonia, bronchitis and asthma. Still, thanks for shining a light on my day. Laughter is really the best medicine even if it nearly killed me just now........:lol:

Fretting away here as we have to stage our annual Art Show starting 26th and I'm the new Acting Madame Pres. The last Madame Pres was a one woman wonder and did everything. Quite jealous of her role really, so did not delegate. Anyway, she passed away, I'm VP, so now Acting Pres. I'm reasonably capable normally, but my timing for getting thrown into hospital stinks! The Secretary has been away for three months holiday, back home for one week and now off playing golf for 10 days, so no help at all right now. Would you believe, my not usually very supportive committee (due to age restraints and sometimes apalling vagueness:confused: have rallied? Three of them came to see me with notepads in hand. Found out what needed doing, took it to committee meeting yesterday and everyone has taken on a job and it is all happening. Bless their little hearts. They are capable of greater things than they know. Their vague, artistic dottiness has been exposed as a convenient sham. They will rue the day the dropped their cover:evil:

Dale

sonshine
10-15-2010, 12:38 AM
One little boy was going down the isle growling taking a few steps and growling
when asked what he was doing he said I'am the ring BEAR

pastellady
10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Debbie, Hope your "silver lining" comes soon.

Dale, Sorry for your hospital stay but glad that I could bring a little joy into your day.

sonshine-aren't "ringbears" adorable.

I'm getting ready to go to Branson, Mo. to the Big Cedar Lodge for a plein air painting event. We will be there Wednesday thru Saturday with a sale on Saturday. Can't wait. Painting, friends, and a little mini vacation-life is good.

Happy Painting,
Jennylynne

Shirl Parker
10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Donna A says hi. She hasn't been feeling too well, and hasn't posted lately, so I gave her a ringy ding. Keep her in your thoughts.

scall0way
10-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Hope Donna feels better soon!

pastellady
10-30-2010, 01:13 PM
580951Big Cedar Lodge plein aire event was GREAT! Painted lots, met lots of new painters who turned into friends, had great weather and really enjoyed to time to myself. Lined up people to take turns taking care of Mom and off I went for a week of painting.

This is one of the oils I painted while there.

Can't wait till next year.
Jennylynne

Shirl Parker
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Lovely.

saramathewson
10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Shirl,

Is Donna A. still dealing with the chronic fatigue stuff? I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I have FMS and probably chronic fatigue, peripheral neuropathy, a seizure disorder and the list goes on. so, I know what she is dealing with and I know she was very sick with it several years ago.

On the pain clinic front, I decided to not go to the appt. as I could not afford it and am weaning down on my meds myself. It is not easy and last week I did it a little too quickly. I found out i was doing it way too quickly so eased back on it. i worry that if I go too fast I will have a seizure. I haven't had one for about a year and a half so i'm hoping that continues. I haven't had one being alone for a long time. For all of his bad qualities, one thing Chris was good abut were the seizures. he could usually tell when I was going to have one and would get me to a safe place to have it.

Dale, i know you are out of the hospital now and recovering, but know that I am thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. I was in the same boat last year. i didn't have pneumonia although the doc kept checking because he couldn't believe I could be that sick with just bronchitis and asthma. I was in for 8 days. It was pretty lonely. I had a few visitors, but my family lived far away and felt helpless that they couldn't help. I'm glad you are home and hope you are on the mend. Keep up with all the asthma meds. It is scary!

Debbie, I'm sorry about how many stresses you have had in your life this past year. Sounds like good things are happening for you with the pastel society. sounds great!

Take care everyone. i'm thinking of you all! And Shirl, thanks so much for hosting this for us all. It is a good spot to keep in touch:)

Sara

Shirl Parker
11-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758011)

the drover's dog
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Sara, thanks for the kind thoughts. Yes, I am home now and really on the mend. Just get very tired which is not surprising after getting hit with three viruses at once.

I do hope you can sort out your chronic pain problems. I'm off to a specialist shortly to try and do something for this rotten Ross River virus I've had for over 2.5 years. I was miraculously pain free whilst in hospital on huge doses or cortisone, so I feel there must be something else that can be done to keep me mobile. Normal non-steroid anti-inflammatories do nothing. Fingers crossed.

We held our annual art society show last weekend and I was so proud of everyone's work. It was a fabulous display but bad weather for the four days meant poor attendance and poor sales. Very proud also of how everyone had rallied and done their bit to organize things whilst I was laid up. The new venue proved very superior to the old one used for the past 12 years. Better natural light and much more room to exhibit more paintings. We had used the tiny local Court House in the past, but a new magistrate did not approve and kicked us out. He did us a big favour but it put us in a flap as we had huge problems finding an alternative venue as most large, local spaces were in use for external school examinations held for sixth formers, which determine their marks for university placement.

Do hope Donna is better soon. Chronic fatigue is nasty but large doses of multi B vitamins helps my fatigue a lot.

Dale