PDA

View Full Version : Gaka Dolphin

Gaka
11-15-2002, 06:31 AM
This is a Dolphin that I painted about 10yrs Ago, I was pretty happy with it at the time...But I can see a lot of things that I would do differently now, but that's progress. painting smooth Water, ripely Water and reflections are not to hard...but to get spontaneous splashes and bursts of Water to look real and spontaneous is a challenge!

It is 600mmW x 425mmH or 24inW x 18inH on Canson Paper and it took around 60/70 hrs.

I hope you enjoy

Gaka

online art
11-15-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi Gaka,

good to see some of your older work, I must admit I have loved all of your work so far and this is no exception.

Keep posting.

Nyteglori
11-15-2002, 11:33 AM
WOW the water looks so real! Can you give me some water drawing tips??

Dark_Shades
11-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Sighs :)

Taminka
11-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Just love that water Gaka - I tend to avoid painting things in the water coz I'm scared to try it :D

You've really captured that intense sparkle

Minky

Blueyog
11-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Wow. The water is very great !!!

Gaka
11-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone

Thank you for viewing and your comments.

"Water" The only way for me to paint Water and make it look real is to work from a photograph, to paint it from memory and to get it looking real/photorealistic is virtually impossible, Unless you can remember all of the waves, their shapes, the light and shade, reflection, sunlight, shadows, splashes, foam etc etc. I am affraid that my memory is not good enough and I do not have a photographic memory either :( Unless you are painting just smooth Water, ripples, rings or slight waves in it where you can do it with your imagination.
If I am are not working in realism or photorealism, then there is more latitude to work with. I have difficulty in painting spontaneous Water even from a photograph...such as bursts of Water, Splashes etc as it is difficult with Pastels and a rigid Hand to paint something that is free and spontaneous. I will be posting another Dolphin and Turtle within the next three or four weeks and it has a lot of splashes/bursts and reflections in these paintings. if you use Acrylics, Oils or watercolor it is a little easier to get spontaneity than it is with Pastels.
It all gets back to trial and error, practice and experimenting, look into the picture/photo, see the shapes and tones, darken the darks and lighten the lights, give it some highlights, glint and reflections....experiment and have fun....Think "WET Liquid Water"

Happy Watering ;)

Gaka

Redsy333
11-16-2002, 06:23 AM
This is amazing, that dolphin looks so real and the water......wow!! I cant wait to see the turtle! Gaka if you could, I would love to see you do a work in Progress on water. I know no one else here would mind:D Just a thought;)

Gaka
11-16-2002, 06:57 AM
I have just discovered that when I crop a photo and bring it up to the 600x500 it looses some definition, So I am posting the Dolphin again to see if it is much clearer than the previous.

I hope this works!

Nynna
11-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Hello Gaka,
I have recently bought Lesley Harrisons' book - Painting Animals that touch the heart- & I cannot believe her water splashes/sprays/drops!
See if you can get to look at the book.
Your water is excellent also
Nynna

Dark_Shades
11-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Nynna ..... Ive copied your quote to the book thread in the Animal Forum

TeAnne
11-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Gaka
This is a Dolphin that I painted about 10yrs Ago, I was pretty happy with it at the time...But I can see a lot of things that I would do differently now, but that's progress. painting smooth Water, ripely Water and reflections are not to hard...but to get spontaneous splashes and bursts of Water to look real and spontaneous is a challenge!

It is 600mmW x 425mmH or 24inW x 18inH on Canson Paper and it took around 60/70 hrs.

I hope you enjoy

Gaka

OMG! This looks quite perfect to me. :clap: :clap:

CBruce
11-16-2002, 01:25 PM
"But I can see a lot of things that I would do differently now".....
Gaka, this is beautiful, what do you see wrong with this?

KarenU
11-16-2002, 05:31 PM
This is just phenomenal...especially the thin veil of water coming from the top of the dolphin.....amazing!

Gaka
11-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone

Thank you for visiting my post and your generous comments

Nynna.....I will ldo a search on the net for Lesley Harrison, If anyone has any link to her site, maybe they could let us all know :) I have a couple of books by Paul Bosman Pastel wildlife. His books inspires me all of the time, his detail is not quite as fine as mine.

CBruce.....The water and reflections below and behind the Dolphin are fine....BUT...the white splashes are too rigid and the rest of the Ocean/Water lacks depth and reflection. Needs to be darker and parts lighter (reflection of sky).

I think that one of the hardest things to do in any medium is to be able to paint texture, be it Fur, Hair, Leaves, Clouds, Grass, Water, Sand etc etc Then you add on to this the light, shade, shadow, wet, dry, Sun, time of Day etc etc.....Then tones etc etc and all that follows....what I have been doing is practising all of these textures and variations until I have attained a level that I am now comfortable with...that does not mean that I will not keep on trying to improve!!!

I have some other work that I do not like a lot and I will post that next so People can see that some of my work is very ordinary.

Seeya

Gaka

Murals By Aga
11-16-2002, 09:56 PM
No Way! Don't tell me that this was done in pastels....
Geez! I have never seen something that looked so REAL...including the WATER.
Please let me know if you decide to treat us to a work in progress, as I will definitely accept the invite.

WoW!

amanda
11-17-2002, 04:05 AM
I can't see anything wrong with it! amazing work:p

CBruce
11-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Gaka, thanks for responding and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

AriadneArts
11-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Fabulous work. Looks like a photo to me! :D Thanks for your great generosity, too, on sharing what works/doesn't work for you.

Wingnut
11-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Gaka

Nynna.....I will ldo a search on the net for Lesley Harrison, If anyone has any link to her site, maybe they could let us all know :)

http://www.harrison-keller.com I love her work and have her book too, but I think your water is just as great Gaka - if not better! ;)

Nynna
11-18-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Nynna
Hello Gaka,
I have recently bought Lesley Harrisons' book - Painting Animals that touch the heart- & I cannot believe her water splashes/sprays/drops!
See if you can get to look at the book.
Your water is excellent also
Nynna

Thankyou Dark Shades. I still haven't got around all this site.
I see Wingnut has filled in the isbn for that book. Thanks Wingnut
Nynna

Christobal
11-18-2002, 04:01 AM
The more I browse this site, the more I think it will be a perpetual lesson of humility :D

Chris

Nynna
11-18-2002, 04:55 AM
Gaka,
I have just visited Lesley Harrison site. I've forgotten who posted it here in WC. I think it is www.harrison- keller.com
Nynna

Nynna
11-18-2002, 04:57 AM
Try it again<www.harrisonkeller.com>

Nynna
11-18-2002, 04:59 AM
And..... disregard above.
Wingnut has found Lesley Harrisons' site

animal
11-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Spectacular work Gaka!:clap: :clap: :clap: