PDA

View Full Version : desert dawn. please critque!

irene clark
10-25-1999, 11:50 AM
Hi there!
Hope you don't mind. I originally posted this image awhile back, but only had one response, so I thought I might try again. It's great to have so many new members to share with.
Thanks
Irene Clark with a heart for art.
Here's my website address.
<a href="http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/kclark/hart/">Heart to H-ART - Irene Clark</a>

I'd really like to hear any comments good or otherwise so I can keep improving.
Thanks Irene C http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/oPtsview2.gif

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited January 25, 2000).]

DrFeelgood
11-01-1999, 09:32 AM
I like your image, we artists in general are
sensitive, but to grow and get unstuck sometimes we have to brave what we fear.
The white cloud seems a bit to bright for this time of day. I think your arrangment of cactus and bushes looks good.I might suggest using the color close to the horizon for the cloud behind the cactus to the right.
Doc-

irene clark
01-25-2000, 11:13 AM
Thanks again for you help.
Irene

Jason Conway
01-25-2000, 02:03 PM
I agree, the cloud is too white. Also, what is the thing in the very middle at the bottom? Haven't been able to identify what this is.

Very nice painting... love the sky

bruin70
01-25-2000, 04:23 PM
irene...clouds get hit with a reddish pinkish color at that time of day. what is that thingy at the bottom?...milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

kemshmi
01-25-2000, 05:47 PM
thats a stand ..holding the picture up ..silly

bruin70
01-25-2000, 07:00 PM
ohhh. i thought that might be a dashboard thingy. it sure is rendered realisticly, i thought....milt
ps,hi kemy

irene clark
01-26-2000, 06:49 PM
You're absolutely right Kemshmi. I should have noted that in the intro.
Irene Originally posted by kemshmi:
thats a stand ..holding the picture up ..silly

irene clark
01-26-2000, 06:54 PM
Hi all,
It's interesting that so many of you comment on that white cloud being out of place.
I recreated this painting from a photograph and thought too that it was odd.
One thing I've learned about clouds and nature, is that they do whatever they want and in painting them it therefore would follow that anything goes. Perhaps mother nature practices Artistic Liberty as well.
What do ya think?
Irene

Phyllis Rennie
01-26-2000, 08:21 PM
Irene, I agree that clouds and nature do strange things sometimes. Usually when you copy it exactly as it is though, the viewer thinks that you made a mistake. I think your painting is lovely but the cloud is a bit distracting and if you simply tone it, it will help. I have found that clouds (and other white objects) usually reflect the colors around them. Maybe you could try putting some touches of the sunrise colors in the cloud so that it doesn't look "pasted on".