PDA

View Full Version : Footballer Trout in Coral Grotto

Bruce Rohrlach
01-21-2000, 06:10 AM
Hi again,

Another underwater scene, this time a coral grotto or "swim-thru" that my dive buddy photographed on one of our dives -(Great Barrier Reef). The footballer-trout and cleaner wrasse were added from a book. I'm normally don't like to loosen up, but the background cave was painted very quickly and fluidly and I was really surprised and pleased at the etheral effect. What do you think?? I guess "lighting" can be so important ?? The footballer-trout (coral-trout) was painted in greater detail. I initially thought the fish was too low in the painting and am still undecided. Painting is 90 x 60 cm in size and took 6 evening to complete.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/FootballerTrout.jpg

bruin70
01-21-2000, 07:44 AM
you seem to have captured te feeling quite nicely. i feel like i'm drowning. i would put a bit of rim light on the trout, since it IS backlit. that would also integrate the trout better into the whole scene. given the opportunity, i would have also let a bit off the trout overlap the opening,,,,also to integrate it better into the scene....milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

Bruce Rohrlach
01-21-2000, 08:38 PM
Thanks Bruin,

Rim lighting sounds like a good idea if it's what I envisage it to be ?! - does that mean placing some high-lights around the edge of the fish, or also in the water around one side (top) of the fish. I'm not too familiar with the concept of rim lighting ? -- BR

bruin70
01-22-2000, 01:53 AM
hilighting the edge of the fish...in this case, the top part of the fish.

Rod
01-22-2000, 04:33 AM
Yes, great feeling, reminds me of David Bellamy's style, also agree with bruin, backlight.
Rod.

irene clark
01-22-2000, 02:17 PM
Hi Bruce
This is surely another winner in the Very Unique category. I know I'll never scuba dive, and that's for sure and for certain.
I also agree with Bruin about the lighting. I kind of get the feeling that a flash was used in photographing this fish, and that takes away from natural surroundings. Although I expect we wouldn't see much if at least some artificial light was used.
The whole concept of painting underwater habitat from the perspective of the fish is unusual to say the least. That's why I like it.
Subject matter, in my mind, is most important because creative spirit must rise for me to draw from it. (Pun intended) I can tell you have passion for living and then portraying what lives beneath the waves. Thanks so much for sharing and I'd love to see more of these. I have 3 aquariums of freshwater tropicals, a total of 80 gallons. I love to sit an watch their interactions, so naturally painting them seemed a good idea and is something that I've just started doing and has proven to be a lot more difficult than I thought. I'll try and get it online soon.
sincerely
Irene Clark with a heart for art.[

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited January 22, 2000).]