PDA

View Full Version : Boat off the Bluffs

irene clark
12-16-1999, 08:02 PM
Hi ya'll
This is my very first oil painting, first landscape and first boat. approx. 16x32.
I'm quite pleased with this first attempt at oil painting. I only had a few brushes to work with and no knowledge of colour mixing.
I'd appreciate some comments on those 2 areas and any other help.
The scene is Cathedral Bluffs off Lake Ontario near Toronto. The boat belongs to my brother and his wife. You can see their shadows on board.
I'd like to complete this painting to give to them, but need some help please.
What if I kept the boat the same size and just used a larger canvas, adding more background? I really do like the main subject, the boat, in this case to dominate, but I think I went too far. When it comes right down to it , it was easier to paint the boat larger, considering my limited skills and brushes. It did start out smaller, but I have a way of correcting what I don't like by
enlarging. I just wasn't prepared for all the angles and lineups. It looked simpler than it was. Geometry would've come in handy. Has anyone used geometric tools in their artwork?
If so, which ones were most beneficial and how did you apply them? Is that considered cheating? I did this painting in freehand, but would I have been better served using at least a ruler, or is that a NO NO??
Lot's of questions, I know, but I really appreciate all your help.
Thanks so much,
Irene Clark with a heart for art.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/boat.gif

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited January 14, 2000).]

BillieD
12-18-1999, 01:39 PM
Irene, I think you've done very well! As to the problems you are having. The entire painting seems to have a 'cool' color temperature. Maybe, you should add some warm color to the focal point to bring it out. Lighter colors, anyway. The boat seems to be in shadow, in real life, but, some lights, would pop it out into the forefront..., don't you think?

irene clark
12-18-1999, 08:02 PM
You're absolutely right Billie. My scanning capabilities are not up to par. The colours just are not coming out right on screen.
What do you think about the positioning of the boat? Should it maybe be smaller, but then it wouldn't be the focal point anymore? I guess if I want to have the boat large as life, so to speak, a larger canvas would give more room for background effects.
I'll really have to try and improve the scanning.
Thanks Billie
sincerely Irene

anita Stewart
12-19-1999, 12:03 AM
Both the mountains and the boat are very interesting.but they appear to be both dominating the"picture".They seem to be fighting each other for the center of interest..I keep seeing the boat as smaller and directed a little more back toward the mountains. right now the boat tends to send your eye out of the "Picture". I got the impression you were trying to get the eye to move in a circle.I agree you need more warm colors in the boat and you might want to try cool colors that you have in the boat more in the mountains.. There's not that much really off with your piece..It just needs a little fine tuning..keep up the good work..

irene clark
01-14-2000, 01:18 PM
Thanks for your input Anita.
What if I kept the boat the same size and just used a larger canvas, adding more background? I really do like the main subject, the boat, in this case to dominate, but I think I went too far. When it comes right down to it , it was easier to paint the boat larger, considering my limited skills and brushes. It did start out smaller, but I have a way of correcting what I don't like by enlarging. I just wasn't prepared for all the angles and lineups. It look simpler than it was. Geometry would come in handy. Has anyone used geometric tools while painting?
If so, which ones were most beneficial and how did you apply them? Is that considered cheating? I did this painting in freehand, but would I have been better served using a ruler, or is that a NO NO??
Thanks again
Irene Clark

henrik
01-14-2000, 05:29 PM
Hi Irene,
I took the liberty of creating the enlarged canvas for you as you suggested. I hope you don't mind.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/boat-2.jpg

I managed to smudge the boat in the process. Sorry.

irene clark
01-14-2000, 06:50 PM
Thanks Henrik,
I surely do get the picture now. That's really cool the way you can manipulate pictures that way. No I don't mind at all, quite the contrary. I appreciate your taking the time to help out.
Irene

henrik
01-14-2000, 07:27 PM
I used PaintShopPro (I have version 4.14) from Jasc Inc http://www.jasc.com to edit your paintings. It is a 100$ product you can buy online if you want to have a go at it yourself.

The edits to your boat took me about 5-10 minutes.