PDA

View Full Version : Beauty by the Sea (Nude)

Urbanpoet
01-11-2000, 10:45 PM
I am a self taught (or learning???) Artist
Oil painting on the canvas
Size 42 * 38
The picture looks dull as taken using the Digital Camera
Welcome all Comments and Critique suggestions.

Thanks

-UrbanPoet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/beauty1.jpg

bruin70
01-12-2000, 03:17 AM
looks like you're scrubbing into the canvas. the colors will get smudgy. you'll get bolder in time. the whole painting is one value(lightness/darkness). you need to differentiate your light and dark areas. use three values to start in your preliminary. or four if it suits you. there are other things, but one step at a time.....milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

Phyllis Franklin
01-12-2000, 01:13 PM
I agree with Bruin. You are brave to tackle the human form. To me, it is the hardest but we all, as artists, have our weak and strong areas. What I have found to help me is to try simple objects. Try painting just one egg, or one cube, one tree. I have so much to learn, but I am enjoying the journey. Have fun with your painting, that is what it is all about. Keep painting and keep coming to wetcanvas. You will do well. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

kemshmi
01-13-2000, 07:29 AM
as per bruins comments, you may try darkening or lightening the background to make the figure, (which is the main subject here), stand out, also (this would mean redoing the whole thing!! which you may not want to do) but try making the figure a bit smaller, the composition would look better if there were a couple of inches of canvas above her head, I like the way her feet are in the water and your use of color, overall the picture has a nice "feel" to it..
hope this gives you some ideas for this or future paintings..keep practicing,
kemshmi

[This message has been edited by kemshmi (edited January 13, 2000).]

Urbanpoet
01-13-2000, 08:40 PM
Thank you one and all for taking time and giving your valuable comments on this painting. I find it very useful. I will redo the picture. Like Bruin and Kemshmi said i will concentrate more on the light and dark areas and make the overall picture better. I agree with Kemshmi I should have drawn the figure smaller and gave some more space above her head.

Thank you again and see you soon

-UrbanPoet