PDA

View Full Version : Androgyny

henrik
01-10-2000, 05:13 PM
Hi here is a painting of an Androgyny (I hope that is the proper noun in English). I just posted this to read what others think of it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/androgyn.jpg

Acrylic, 20x28

Phyllis Franklin
01-10-2000, 05:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/cool.gif Which means really cool. I love it.

kemshmi
01-11-2000, 06:37 PM
hi henrick..I like the image in general..but i wonder if androgenous fits this piece..it looks more to have features of a male and be dressed dressed up as female, with the lipstick and eyeshadow..( my interpretation of the image presented) rather than, as my understanding of the word androgen goes, the subject/individual has characteristics of both male and female so much so that the viewer is not sure which gender the androgenous individual is.

interesting piece though..how did you create it?

kemshmi

henrik
01-11-2000, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your input. The story behind the painting is that I wanted to draw something in the style once used by my father - he used to make quick drawings in front of the TV. I always liked the way he did the eyes. I found some of his old scetch books and started fooling around with his style.

One day during a business meeting I just happen to draw the androgyny now depicted in this painting. (I always doodle during meetings). I kept the drawing in my wallet for several years not nowing what to do with it. Then when switching wallets I stumbled across my scetch and decided that I wanted to paint it.

I had most trouble with the shadows in the face - I wanted to have a 'cubist' feel somwhere between flat cartoon and proper 3 dimensional thing. I don't remember how many times I repainted the shadow on the right side of the face and the shadow (eye-shadow) on the eye to the right.

I also had problems with the hair - at first it looked flat - as I added strands of hair I lost the 'cubist feel' - so I flattened them out. This process was repeated several times. I should probably have selected some other solution - but I failed to come up with a valid solution. (In the process of reducing the size of the image file, the strands of hair got more emphasized than what they are in the real painting - but it's close).

The comment I most often get from people is that the painting looks like a Swedish female politician (Birgitta Dahl).

My first notion of what I had painted was that it was a man trying to look like a woman, but the comments about Birgitta Dahl told me it could perhaps be a (very male looking female) - and hence the titel became Androgony.

The painting is made in acrylic on masonite. I scetched freehand from the small 1x2 inch doodle as an original.

Well - now you know.