PDA

View Full Version : cactus, skull, & distance

Slapshot
11-12-1999, 06:57 PM
http://www.ueplaza.com/cactus,skull,&distance.jpg
Cactus, Skull, & Distance - 8.5 in X 11 in watercolor
I have always been a big fan of Georgia O'Keeffe's work and have produced many watercolor florals in an O'Keeffe-ish style. On a recent trip to Santa Fe, my wife and I visited the O'Keeffe Museum where I was exposed, via a video presentation, to her thoughts and feelings that resulted in her bones and flowers series. After some more research, I was very intrigued by her piece - Pelvis and the Distance. I wanted to produce a painting from a similar point of view and decided on a cow skull. I battled with trying to get a good composition and was having trouble placing a flower with the skull. My wife suggested that she didn't really like the idea of the skull with a flower. She said she would rather see a flower with the skull. Her suggestion led me to change the focus and created, I think, a good composition. Am I right? Any input would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Slapshot (edited 11-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by Slapshot (edited 11-22-99).]

irene clark
11-12-1999, 10:30 PM
Hi there !
Yes I think she is right.
I 'm certainly reminded that even in dier circumstances life does go on.
In this case I believe there was some good fertilizer to create that beautiful cactus.

I'd like to see more of your work.
Sincerely
Irene Clark with a heart for art.

<a href="http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/kclark/hart/index.html">Heart to H-ART - Irene Clark</a>

SlaweMonster
11-15-1999, 11:26 AM
Hey Slapshot, I really like it. The composition suits me just fine. I don't think the cactus takes on the spotlight though, it's more like a shared thing now. Great job!

Slawe

Slapshot
11-17-1999, 06:25 PM
I appreciate both your input!

Irene: I signed up for a Virtual Gallery here on WetCanvas! I have 3 paintings up there now, will add more soon!
www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/F/Fielder/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/F/Fielder/)

Slawe:

I looked up your profile and went to your homepage. I was very impressed with the portrait you are doing of your sister. I'm no pencil expert; but, it looks like you have a knack! Please, Please post the image so others can look at it!

------------------
God Bless!
Tim

[This message has been edited by Slapshot (edited 11-17-99).]

irene clark
11-18-1999, 01:32 AM
Hi Chartlotte!!
I too checked out your website but couldn't get the email to send so copied it back over here.
You've made a really good start on this site.
I can tell you're having fun with your drawing talent. Your subject matter is very unusual,
but interesting. I often wonder what makes people draw the things they do.
I always say whatever makes you happy will certainly keep your interest and that is what
makes for constant improvement.
You've made a wonderful start on your sisters drawing. Will come back soon to see your
progress.
Don't ask me why, but I really like the drawing with the baseball .
Anyways take good care ,
A Canadian friend
Irene Clark with a heart for art
<a href="http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/kclark/hart/index.html">Heart to H-ART - Irene Clark</a>

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited 11-18-99).]

Phyllis Franklin
11-19-1999, 08:09 PM
Wonderful! I went to the clips you have uploaded and I love them. Anticipation is my favorite. I only wish that I could capture what you have. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Julia
11-22-1999, 08:59 PM
Personally I don't like such bright colors and prefer a more neautral palette. But the skulp is well done. The cactus does not impress me. It lacks form. The right side of the greenish part of it should be darker. There is something wrong with the composition. It's heavy,"bulky", though the colors are very encouraging. In general water colors produce a very light impression, but this one does not. May be because we can't see through these objects? I mean, we can't see the horizon?

Slapshot
11-29-1999, 04:04 PM
Julia: I'm glad you felt the colors were bright and that the piece did not meet the "norm". That's exactly what I want to accomplish. I am looking for a "unique point of view" - one that is not expected but still appealing. I often look at great artist's works and try to figure out "why did they pick this color?" or "what were they thinking when they put this object here?" I find that the most appealing works to me are those that crack the mold rather than break it. Works that are just a little off what is expected and depart from the cookie cutter paintings everyone has seen a million times.

Does anyone else think this is valid?

irene clark
11-30-1999, 08:00 PM
Hi Slapshot,
I hear ya and agree with you 100%.
You and what you create are originals and more power to you.
Keep your creative spirit alive and well doing what comes from the heart.

sincerely
Irene Clark with a heart for art.