PDA

View Full Version : Little guy

DrFeelgood
11-26-1999, 01:00 PM
This is a link to this image,comments welcome,done in 1997 it is watercolor with egg tempera. I realize there are very abrupt
changes,the modeling may appear sloppy this was a very spontaneous work.I did it and left it alone for fear of ruining what I already had done, which I have done with my work more times than I can count.The question I have the most trouble with is when is this picture done(any picture I do) and how can I avoid ruining it. By overworking the peice?
Any advice from any member on this subject?

www.geocities.com/SoHo/Suite/5647/lilguy.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Suite/5647/lilguy.jpg)

------------------
Resentment is like taking poison, in hopes your enemy will die.
Unknown

[This message has been edited by DrFeelgood (edited 11-26-99).]

bruin70
11-26-1999, 02:06 PM
overworking a piece is one of the biggest problems with artists. they lack editing skills. you're fine...the piece is done. one simple clue is rather obvious,,,,does the technique look labored?,,,,or has it retained it' vitality? of course, while this piece doesn't look overworked, i didn't see it 70% to finish...hehehe. also, (and this you probably know), if you create a nice area,,,,,,,,leave it alone!!! howz about this rule of thumb,,,,as you move 70-80% finish, ask yourself if you'd buy it off the gallery wall as is. have you said all you wanted to say, and will any further work be redundant. will adding more work throw the whole piece out of wack?...milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 11-26-99).]

DrFeelgood
11-26-1999, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the wisdom Milt I'll keep that in mind.
John