PDA

View Full Version : Bruin70

william
11-25-1999, 04:21 PM
Dear Sir. Iím a bit confused... I hope Milt and Bruin70 are the the same person or I will make the fool in the next lines.
I went to the web link posted on your profile and downloaded all the pictures... to see them over and over again.

What can I say?
Saying that they remind me Lautrec and Edward Hopper itís not fair to you... and them.
Banalities such I love the work?... To little.
Criticize? I donít dare...

Iím hesitating to ask you something... cause Iím fascinated with the colors.
How do you establish the colors for a paint? How do you set them.
I wish to learn it from you.

bruin70
11-26-1999, 12:37 AM
well,,,,,,,,,,do you mean, how do i establish the color scheme of a painting, or how do i arrive at a particular color. as to the second,,,all my colors are dirty. there's not a cad in the group. i use rusty reds, ochre or mars yellow, indigo blue(though i just added ultramarine to my palette, raw sienna, mars orange, black and creamy/off white. because i am a tonal painter, i don't have to scream with my color, thus the "dirty" colors. so,,,, for instance, instead of using a mauve or diox purple, i mix a rusty red with a cerulean. common color mixing practise tells you to mix cools with cools, and warms with warms. say,,,alizerin with ultramarine or cerulean and cad yellow. those combinations shout in my palette. a dirtier mix sits better in my paintings. sometimes i have to think of two colors i'd never imagine. black and mars yellow or raw sienna and indigo for my greens. my mother color is grey or raw sienna. as for arriving at a color scheme for my painting, there's no formula. how i imagine a painting never turns out so in execution. but because i use grey or raw sienna as a mother color, i can use any color pattern and they all seem to work out well. of course, this is a bit tougher in watercolor, but basically as a tonalist, i worry about light and dark distribution. the darks anchor my paintings, so if they work the color follows.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe