PDA

View Full Version : creativity recipie

hummingbird
11-12-2002, 08:39 AM
If we were gonna make a recipie for creativity, what would it be? What would you need to be creative? Tell us what you would stir in the broth. Share a thought or two.

I'll start.

oodles of alone time

constantly looking and looking and taking it all in

Pilan
11-12-2002, 11:25 AM
going to a museum and getting so close in studying you can almost kiss the painting. I am going tomorrow!

If you can't make it too a museum the next best thing is to dig out your books on famous paintings along with a magnifying glass. Someone told me that using a magnifying glass on painting from a book was not helpful. I said poo to that one and kept on doing this crazy activity. It is fun and you can still see strokes of paint and techniques amongst the pixels.

:)

Ron van den Boogaard
11-12-2002, 11:52 AM
freedom

Ron vdB

Blueyog
11-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Good music

Very important ;)

gredelin
11-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Boredom!
Very important - it empties your brain so there's room for ideas. It even creates a low-pressure zone, so ideas seep in from outside! When you're too busy and stressed out, it's the opposite; the high pressure is very effective in keeping ideas out... okay, enough with the analogy... but it's true!
/Gunilla

hummingbird
11-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Great answers guys!

So far we got:

~Recipie for Creativity~

oodles of alone time

constantly looking and taking it all in

going to the museum and getting up so close to the paintings you can smell them

getting art books and studying closely with a magnifying glass

freedom

good music

boredom

Anyone got anything else?

Pat

debi-d
11-14-2002, 06:17 PM
when I get creative can be from just zoning out and watching tv, sometimes Ill see something abstract that grabbs my attention.
I go through my photo albums. I light incense I have one for creativity. I watch art shows pbs style figure I can always learn something. I surf the internet art sites
debi

Zaphonia
11-15-2002, 02:08 AM
breathing... as long as your alive creativity can find you in the oddest places.... you can be standing in line at a supermarket and suddenly just be eureka! or staring at a while and suddenly by george youve got it! creativity is like a bug.. it bites you in the butt no matter where you are

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 09:15 AM
The toy thread just reminded me. We gotta put playtime in there.

Several cups of playtime

Pat

heh
11-15-2002, 06:34 PM
listening to the whispers
looking to and at
hope
kisses
courage
the night

perhaps some wine :D

dena

Serenity
11-16-2002, 06:53 AM
Also getting out into nature such as, country strolls, the beach, mountain scenery, cloud-watching etc.

Serena :)

babacita
11-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Fresh air and the sky!

IrishIsle
11-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Living Well

:)

BeyondTheNineSquares
11-22-2002, 10:13 PM
Add a healthy dose of kindred spirit! Nothing spices up the stew better than seasoning like that! My favorite 12 year old sees the world in a wonderful way. Her blend of the intellectual and the artistic ways of looking at things, sifted together with a healthy dose of "the eyes of a child" make for a wonderfully tasty result!

wilddredcherry
12-03-2002, 04:12 AM
Looking through a lens....I am sworn to my digital camera....it's tiny and it makes me notice patterns and colour around me....I'm taking up to 60 pics a day at times....very handy as a note book....and notebooks cant have enough of them.

(Especially effective on my gloomy non productive days...I'm just tucking away ideas for when I'm ready to 'really' look at it again with a fresh perspective.)

livenlearn
12-03-2002, 02:57 PM
For me its escaping the world, daily thoughts and worries, where I drift off and into my own Art World. My art world usually consists of candles, music, incense and creative focus.

Candles and incense are not creative magical potions released within the smoke, they simply surround me with the things I enjoy. Music (usually instrumental when creating) helps sooth me and drowns out the surrounding worldly noise so I won't be reminded of the world outside my door...and things like, oh shoot I forgot to take out the trash. My focus is primarily allowing my inner vision to flow from an inspired idea/thought accurately onto a canvas.

Thats about it! If I were to create under stress or use stress as a vehicle to express myself through art...my painting palette would most likely consist of black, blue, grey, white and red…and my creations would look like something out of my worst nightmare or a horror flick. Surely it wouldn't be pretty.

The things I mentioned is what allows my creative mind and soul to fly....personally I feel that everyones creative recipie is as different as each person's personality. Try everything and go with what works. ;)

ahsank
12-13-2002, 10:16 AM
what i do is strange

i have kept a few books....
middle aged man on a flying trapez
hundred years of solitude
god of small things
just to name a few

i take a paper and a pencil and just copy phrases they can be anything that strikes me....when i have enough i jumble them up as absurd as they may sound

for example i might come up with something like

"nobody announced aurora borealis to the dumb moll i picked.."

and believe u me while i am engaged in this (seemingly) idiotic exercise EVERYTIME i have come up with an idea that amazes everybody sometimes even me!!

TeAnne
12-19-2002, 04:56 AM
A studio!

artcreator
12-24-2002, 03:43 PM
A gobbing heap of solitude, usually late at night.
1 cup of mood music (during my cubist times I listened to a lot of King Crimson, during surrealist times usually Jane's Addiction).
2 cups of emotional outburst.
1 cup of feedback.

Mix solitude and emotional outburst, bring to a rapid boil.
Stir in mood music.
Garnish with feedback.
Start again.

lillie
01-05-2003, 12:59 PM
The feeling of 'aloneness' and each painting is like an open door inviting one to taste something different with the mind.

But color plays a most important part of the pattern and form of a painting that appears on the canvas.

arourapope
01-06-2003, 01:04 AM
TUNES! and strange books

moodyguy
01-08-2003, 02:37 PM
It think boreing yourself to death sub-conciously for a day, then pile all the things you like, e.g music, favourite programme on tV etc. at once and then your full of ideas all at once.

Rosic
01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Bible scripture and qoutes that speak to me personally often get the creative juices flowing!

Jimi Hendrix jammin' does wonders also... something about a screaming stratocaster that helps me focus!

Thanks for this topic... I have enjoyed the different responses.
Rosic