PDA

View Full Version : I'm Stuck and need HELP!

Pilan
11-11-2002, 11:43 PM
HI all, I need help, real help. I have only painted about 5 times in the last 5 months. I am bouncing around from oils to acrylics to watercolors and feel so helpless in tying myself down to paint. I feel like the progress over the last year just went down the tubes. I am at a loss on how to begin to get back in the groove but the thought crossed my mind to reproduce a piece of art that I admire such as one of van gogh, miro, monet, klee etc. .

What can I do to get over this thing. I have started 4 paintings and feel like i dont know a damn thing. Its like I am spinning around in circles not accomplishing anything.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Pilan

hummingbird
11-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Hi Pilan! I can only tell you what I know when thats happened to me. Theres a reason this is happening. Sometimes that happens cause of fears...sometimes it may be you are going to take off in a totally new direction. Your mind is sorting right now. Its taking everything in, even if it doesn't seem so. What excites you? What kind of painting are you really drawn to right now? If you aren't sure, look...look..and then look somemore. The times this has happened to me, it was like my mind was refusing to do what I'd done before the way I'd always been doing it. It was looking for something new to latch on to.

Before I did abstracts I was doing more figurative type things. Had been afraid of abstracts. I didn't know why I wasn't able to do what I'd always been doing. It just seemed that suddenly everything I did I wasn't happy with for awhile. One day, I sat down and had another urge to do an abstract and decided I didn't care what happened. It was OK if I wasted paint and canvas and time, etc. Well, what happened out of that was I got the best painting I ever got and it sold for the highest I ever sold a painting for. So these times are usually trying to tell you something. If you've always done landscapes maybe you'll move to abstracts...something like that..?

Or maybe you'll be making a big change in the way you handle color or maybe even a new medium --maybe not even paint, might be sculpture or something. But you probably will have a breakthrough soon. In the meantime, look at all the art you can possibly look at. And then look somemore. Find out what excites you right now cause thats a big clue.

Its always good to study the old masters. Can't go wrong there. But keep listening for what is exciting you now.

Fears can stop you from painting too. Listen to what you are telling yourself and see if any of it can be fears.

Maybe others will have more tips. Don't worry. This is a neccessary phase.

Good Luck!

Pat

impressionist2
11-12-2002, 07:28 AM
Pilan, You are going through what I call "Art Labor". You are in contractions and a new Pilan is being born. This is a painful and confusing time. You feel you have forgotten everything and you just "Can't paint" anymore.

I went through my last birthing this past August. I stood on the banks of one of our lovely harbor towns with my easel in front of me and proclaimed everything I painted, "Poo-poo".:D I decided that day I was quitting art for good and going out and getting a real job.

A few weeks later one morning, I awakened with a realization that I was going to paint "My Way" from now on. The learning and the books were still there but for now, they would be set aside so "Renee" could emerge.

Now I am painting with bold colors and a looseness that was never possible before when I was Careful. I am painting alla prima everyday- a first for me.

You are going to come through this and paint in a new and wonderful way-Pilan's way. Have faith.

Renee

Gisele
11-12-2002, 07:35 AM
Hi Pilan, won't you join us at TAW? I remember not too long ago I was stucked and I mean REALLY stucked! I could go for months at a time without painting and once you start procrastinating you don't seem to see the end of it.
I understand you completely and I have learned so much with the help of TAW and its support group here online. Julia Cameron's book is excellent to help you understand and get passed the blockages mental or otherwise.
Reproducing a masterpiece is one way to learn and if this is what it takes to keep you into the "action mode" well go for it!
With hindsight now I can say this about me:

Creating is much easier since:

I have a "studio" in the basement
I have enough space to lay out my art material; and let it sit until I'm done
I have enough space to put my things away and keep my studio clean
I have an answering machine
I have a CD player with remote control (and headphones for when the kids are home)
I keep some room for creativity in my agenda

AND:

I give myself permission to feel like I'm a 5 year-old again and PLAY!
I realised that I'm better off without perfectionnism
I am my own boss and so I can do what I please with my art
I show my work to only a chosen few and only supportive people
I don't waste my time anymore with toxic people
I take time to go to art events; meet other artists etc.

The Artist Way book and support group here online at wc played a major role in my artistic come back. You are welcome to join us! Tuesday afternoons at 2:30 and 9PM and sunday evenings at 9

Good luck!

Gisele :)

Pilan
11-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Gisele , Hummingbird and Impressiontist you all hit the nail on the head!

Thank you thank you thank you, for your support. I have gone through something simular before but not after a absent painting period but while being productive. It really has helped me reading your response and feel a sense of adventure coming on.

I think the reason why I got off track, I spent months helping my daughter chorograph several dance routines for a few of her shows. The eye in performance arts is so different than in visual and it has been hard for me to change.

The book suggestion was great and have been hitting them over the last few days. After I posted this last night I went to bed with several books, I learned something from a couple of them. YEAH. Also one of the post as well and I printed out off of WC. As I was lying in bed after lights went out, I begin to visualize images in my head for abstract painting, wahoo and this morning as well. Your right Gisele my well is in need of fresh ideas and needs filling. I have the book and workbook on the artist way so I need to get it out today.

I love abstract painting too and find them very hard to paint. However, I have an insatiable appetite because that is really what turns me on and I keep searching. The other is watercolor, because it is so beautiful on paper and the way it runs and blurs the edges making things look misty and out of focus dreamlike state. I love this kind of thing and to paint like this is a dream come true. It really is what I love whether it is oil, acrylic or watercolor. I dont like defined lines and clear images. I did paint a picture of my daughter in watercolors yesterday. I took it from a photograph where she was leaning up against a bar after her one of her shows. The painting has movement without clearly seeing her. Although I need to practice this way, I was pleased about doing the results. I worked on it off and on for several days and finished it yesterday. Watercolor is difficult because it sometimes hard to know how far I should go. And as I type I am feeling tons better and with renewed excitement.:clap:

Thank you all and have a great day.

Pilan:)

hummingbird
11-13-2002, 07:50 AM
Hi Pilan,

Glad you are feeling some renewed enthusiasm! :) Yep, I could see what you were saying about how you were doing chorography and needed to see in a differant way ...that definately mighta had something to do with it.

Its sooooo uncomfortable when you don't know whats next. But just trust that things are happening below the surface--things are simmering there. One day, it will overflow and nothing will be able to stop you from painting and you'll burst forth with something in a very new way.

I can understand what you were saying about the abstracts. The reason I think I was so scared of them is cause I used to think I could never do abstracts and that they would be anything like what people were liking in abstracts or they would just be a total mess. (Hope this makes sense). And one day, I just said screw it. *I want to try something.* And i really let go. I did them my way and didn't worry about anything else. Something like that is on its way for you too. You'll burst forth with something wonderful.

Sometimes I can feel these episodes on the fringes. I can sense when they are gonna happen. Can't always stop them. Probably is the way its supposed to be. This is like creative tension...eventually the damn bursts forth. Don't give up. Theres something good on its way.

Pat

Pilan
11-16-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
Hi Pilan,

Glad you are feeling some renewed enthusiasm! :) Yep, I could see what you were saying about how you were doing chorography and needed to see in a differant way ...that definately mighta had something to do with it.

Its sooooo uncomfortable when you don't know whats next. But just trust that things are happening below the surface--things are simmering there. One day, it will overflow and nothing will be able to stop you from painting and you'll burst forth with something in a very new way.

I can understand what you were saying about the abstracts. The reason I think I was so scared of them is cause I used to think I could never do abstracts and that they would be anything like what people were liking in abstracts or they would just be a total mess. (Hope this makes sense). And one day, I just said screw it. *I want to try something.* And i really let go. I did them my way and didn't worry about anything else. Something like that is on its way for you too. You'll burst forth with something wonderful.

Sometimes I can feel these episodes on the fringes. I can sense when they are gonna happen. Can't always stop them. Probably is the way its supposed to be. This is like creative tension...eventually the damn bursts forth. Don't give up. Theres something good on its way.

Pat

thanks Pat. I have been going very well since I begin to post on wc and get back with my own kind :D .

it really does help to be associating with you great nuts :p . I think my train is going on the right track for right now. Also, after i tidied up my art studio i begin to feel better as well. Sometimes you get way too much clutter and it get in your way in every sense. It does help having people respond and give you support as well. I think I have had a break through on a way i have been wanting to paint for a long time. I may post the picture later , we'll see how i feel in a few days.

this place is soooooo great.

xo to you pat and all!

hummingbird
11-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Pilan!! Wonderful news about the breakthrough!!! :clap: Would love to see a pic if you get a chance. I cracked up when you wrote about associating with us great nuts, hahahaha. I for one take that as a huge compliment :) I'm happy to be called a nut anytime. Anyways, excellant idea on organizing your studio. Clears the way for all those great ideas to pour in now :) No clutter to be distracting. Even makes for good "chi" (energy) as they say in Feng Shui :) Keep going! Sounds like you're back :)

Pat

TeAnne
11-17-2002, 08:14 PM
This is all great advice and I'll be taking a lot of this on board for me too. Thanks :D

hummingbird
11-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Te, I can't imagine you ever even getting stuck! I love when I go the Projects area and they change that little icon where you get to see a final entry in a past project. Lots of yours come up Te and I always think, wow, if only I could do as much as Te! The kitty ones are my favorites all the time but you are able to do so many varied subjects, they're incredible! I always think you have so much talent.

Pat

llis
11-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Pilan
HI all, I need help, real help. .....
What can I do to get over this thing. I have started 4 paintings and feel like i dont know a damn thing. Its like I am spinning around in circles not accomplishing anything.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Pilan

I can understand exactly what you are going thru. When I get like this, I pull out one of my exercise books and try something that I have never done before. That always gets me to thinking. Another thing it does is give me a start point. As soon as I get finished with the exercise I am ready to try to put it into practice.

I also like trying to do the lessons here at WC! Some I feel good about...some I'll try again another day.

I know from reading this thread that you are feeling much better and I sure am glad about that. You've gotten some great advice and I do think that being with like minds really does help keep one going.

I've added my late thoughts just for others that might fall into the trap of not creating. Shiver

Pilan
11-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by llis

I can understand exactly what you are going thru. When I get like this, I pull out one of my exercise books and try something that I have never done before. That always gets me to thinking. Another thing it does is give me a start point. As soon as I get finished with the exercise I am ready to try to put it into practice.

I also like trying to do the lessons here at WC! Some I feel good about...some I'll try again another day.

I know from reading this thread that you are feeling much better and I sure am glad about that. You've gotten some great advice and I do think that being with like minds really does help keep one going.

I've added my late thoughts just for others that might fall into the trap of not creating. Shiver

Hi llis you are so nice and do appreciate your post. I am definately getting back. I can really tell because I go to bed with images in my head and seeing others stuff in my minds eye.

I am doing some of the projects and this really helps. I signed up for the castle one and my sketching is not the best but then thats okay. It will change when I layed the paint down and will look totally different. Hoping it will turn out good but i just think its great getting in and being out there with the practicing.

The lessons you talk about are these the projects ones or are there lessons. I have not found the lessons yet if there are some.

Pilan

pampe
11-18-2002, 04:46 PM
this may be contrary to all the sage advice above....

BUT

sometimes you just have to be in that space

for as long as it takes.....because you need to be there

that simple....and when it's over, it's over