PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Robert Bateman anyone?

irene clark
11-14-1999, 02:15 PM
I've been impressed with Batemans work for at least a dozen yrs. Wildlife and it's preservation is near and dear to my heart, so I guess I felt a kindred spirit in Bateman.

I'm not sure if his art influenced my own, since I only discovered that I could actually draw at all about 3 yrs ago and have loved his work for a very very long time.

Recreating wildlife on canvas I think, has helped me to see them so much more clearly, as I strive to feel what the animal is feeling, for I must be in touch with my spirit in order to paint from my heart.
Only then, can I perform, so to speak, to my own satisfaction.
So, I guess Bateman's work must inspire me to a certain extent, because I do get an awesome sense of love, which is what I need to recreate the wonders of the animal kingdom.

I still have to wonder though. Why is it that I'm inspired artisticly now, if I've always love his art?

Does anyone know someone who only discovered they had artistic talent late in life?
Honestly, I really couldn't draw a thing.
I just had a feeling one day to try and draw some Canada geese, and tried copying a sketch from one of Batemans books.
My life has never been the same since and I mean that in a very good way.

I'd really like to hear about them and how they realized their gift.
Is it providence at work here? Hormones or what?

Thanks for indulging me,
Irene Clark, with a heart for art.

<a href="http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/kclark/hart/">Heart to H-ART - Irene Clark</a>

If you're interested in his ideas,
This is Robt. Batemans official website.
<a href="http://www.batemanideas.com/">Bateman Ideas</a>

[This message has been edited by irene clark (edited 11-24-99).]

Talmadge Moose
11-14-1999, 11:40 PM
You have found your artistic hero, and he has served you well. This is what heros are supposed to do, inspire, guide, give you entrance into a greater and wider world of art. Now, my word of advice would be to soon look to other artists for a wider, and perhaps deeper guidance. Nothing wrong with Bateman. He is an excellent artist, but he paints in acrylics only, I think. You, too, might be painting in acrylic, which is a fine medium. But by exploring an artist who works in oil, and watercolor, you can expand your possibilities in acrylic.

Try to find an artist outside the wildlife community whose work might inspire you. I would also take a good and hard look at the old masters, such as John Singer Sargent, maybe Winslow Homer (who would be a closer transition since much of his work is wildlife related. See some original works by as many artists as you can digest. Go back again and again to those who speak to you. But you do seem to have made a great start.

My advice is from years of experience in the illustration, fine art, and teaching field. I am 66 years old, and have been around the block a few times. Am also listed in Who"s Who in American Art. Good luck and keep painting. It is a great life.

animal
11-15-1999, 11:15 AM
I also have been inspired by Mr.bateman,I have loved nature all my life and only three years a go we recieved a book with animals on most of the pages and I told my mom I could draw them,and now I am drawing since also by encouragement by robert bateman
neal

bruin70
11-16-1999, 03:21 AM
does this bateman guy have a website or something? i don't follow wildlife art, so i don't know his work

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

Rod
11-16-1999, 05:59 AM
Hi Milt,
Found a site, have a look here,
http://www.vaxxine.com/artline/nature/bateman/bateman.htm
Rod

animal
11-24-1999, 01:12 PM
Here is the official robert bateman website made by him http://www.batemanideas.com/

bruin70
11-24-1999, 04:31 PM
bateman looks like an excellent renderer. as a matter of taste, he leaves his enviroment barren in a few of his pieces. i prefer robert abbott. better "painter",,,more meaty. for sea life, no one touches stanley meltzoff.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 11-24-99).]