PDA

View Full Version : Got my Kiln today!!!

Caren
11-11-2002, 01:23 PM
MY AIM 84 just got here and I'm about to go out and set it up. Searched the archives for some recipes for batch annealing to start. Anybody got any words of wisdom on how to work this thing as I'm making beads? What temp to set at when I'm working and what do I set it to when I'm done etc. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated. Caren

ps i asume i need to do a test fire? do i do it with beads in it or with out?

BAM
11-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Here is a great link for programming www.blackdotdesigns.com/fuji.html Mag did a great job explaining how to use the controller.

Fuji is very helpful. Their number is on the back of the brochure.

Test fire empty or else you may lose your beads.

Good luck!
Betty

Dale_M
11-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Do a dry run on kiln and take it up past anneal soak temp to burn off impurities that may be in kiln and you can be come familiar with controller...

Use a few test beads or some rods supported in a cantilever manner to test that control method is accurate and your glass is not going to melt at anneal soak temps....

Dale

Caren
11-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Got Mags intructions on how to set the controls, god bless her! I also have some other receipe form Cinda and Melinda. Going to go over Kervins book to see if that will help me. Dale, thanks for the help with the test run. Now for some even more really stupid kiln questions...

I know your supposed to put something on the bottom of the kiln either wash or fiber blanket....I got some kiln wash with the kiln the and have some blanket ...now the questions are...how do you mix up the wash..ie how think to make how think to put it on and do I do this every time? I've never fired anything before...and how thick should the blanket be that I put in the kiln? Thanks Caren

Melinda Melanson
11-11-2002, 03:43 PM
I use a 1" thick fiber blanket on the bottom of my kiln. You could also use the 1/2" blanket. You just want something for the glass to melt to instead of the kiln floor incase of a malfunction, or temp spike. I do not use kiln wash. Throw a few wonky beads in your first run to be sure it is not over heating. Check them after the run for any kind of marks that weren't there before you put them in. Any kind of marks on the bead will indicate your temperature/kiln is too hot.