PDA

View Full Version : choose a door

hummingbird
11-11-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm probably gonna post a couple of threads here today that are things to have fun with. Things to just think about. Heres the first one.

You're on a game show for artists, LOL. You've just been given a choice of two doors and they told you whats behind each door. Which do you choose? The first door will give you all the technical skills you'll ever need to create masterpieces but to compensate for this you'll have a harder time being creative --you'll struggle hard with new ideas for paintings and you're likely to hit blocks alot. Its gonna be difficult to be very creative. But yes, when you have those ideas no one will be able to ever match the work you can do with all your skills. Your paintings will sell for top dollar and be collected by museums.

The second door will give you loads of creativity but you are gonna have to work very very hard at the technical side and perfecting your techniques. Some you'll never master. You may never be very famous. But you'll have endless ideas for paintings and get to play with them all. Some of the paintings you'll really like. Some you'll be disappointed in because you couldn't execute it the way you wanted to. But thats the price of creativity.

Which door do you choose?

Don't worry. Theres no right answer. The answer thats right for you reveals to you what you most want from art. And that given a choice between two paths which one you'd rather set your feet upon. It may be the exact same one you are on now. Both paths will lead to art, the artists just each have a differant set of problems to deal with.

Blueyog
11-11-2002, 11:33 AM
I'll choose the creativity door without hesitation ! I prefer to have ideas :) And if I need money, I'll sell some idea to those who've chosen the other door ! lol

hummingbird
11-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Cracking up Blue! And a veeery creative answer to boot! :clap: :clap:

Blueyog
11-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Thank :D

Serenity
11-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Hi Pat,

I would definitely choose the creativity door. This is an area where I could use all the help I can get and I'm constantly looking out for books, resources, suggestions etc. that can give me ideas on how to get the creative juices flowing which is why I am enjoying the Creativity Corner forum so much! I have already read and worked my way through The Artist's Way book three times and thanks to Creativity Corner, I now have a list of other books to check out.

Blueyog - Great answer!

Happy Painting,
Serena :)

paintfool
11-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Funny Blueyog! LOL! I also have to chose door #2 and i'm sure that most people int this forum would. :) The reason i would chose #2 is that i believe that the art is in the process itself more so than the end result. A satisfactory end result is a bonus. ;)

Cheryl

impressionist2
11-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Pat, I would definetly pick door #2. In fact, I did pick it and I like what I found behind it.

My joy is in a few sales and in the creation.

As far as getting famous goes, if you ever look at the names of artists who have made it into the New York galleries and who are written about in New American Paintings, Modern Art,etc., you won't recognize one name. These artists have "made it", yet no-one will ever hear of them outside that tight art community.

Getting famous is about as feasible as winning the lottery.

Enjoy your life and your art. They are all you've got. Be Joyful in the creation of your work and the people you love. That is success.

Renee

hummingbird
11-12-2002, 08:01 AM
These are great answers everyone. I'll tell you how this came up. My husband plays guitar and we go to jams here and there. When he and his musician friends are talking it can get interesting. Several times, I've heard them talking about someone who just finished some songs or a set and they'll be talking about the way that person played -- the way we discuss art. Well occasionally there is someone who while they hit every chord perfectly, the music has "no soul." Technically, there isn't a thing wrong with it, but it doesn't stir the audience. Its missing emotion. And there were other musicians, not quite so skilled, but the audience would go crazy over cause their music stirred them. They made it fun. They put emotion into it.

Well I've never forgotten these conversations. I used to get down on myself all the time cause there were alot of art techniques I couldn't pull off --*yet.* It was always as if I had a million ideas and things I was doing. I was long on creativity but short on the technical skills even tho I was progressing as quickly as I could being self taught.

Aaaaaaaanyways, those overheard conversations got me to thinking awhile back. If I would have been able to choose, I'd actually prefer to be long on creativity and short on the technical abilities. I was happy with the road I was on. Overhearing those musicians made me appreciate finally where I was.

So thats how this came about. I was just curious to see what everyone would say.

Pat

Pilan
11-12-2002, 10:37 AM
After reading my answer you all may analyze my personality type ;)

I am still trying to figure it out as well.

drum roll....................................................

I would have to walk off the game, therefore I would not choose either one. I want to have both! :D

Pilan
11-12-2002, 12:40 PM
being realistic, :rolleyes: door number #2 you really get more and yes I believe its in the process.. Its like getting ready to go out to a big event. Its in the process, thats where the high is for me.

Pilan

gnu
11-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Me, I'd write down all the creative ideas I have now...as I do anyway, well some lol, then chose door 1.
just maybe I'd still have a little more creativity than the next person, but if not there's always the little book :D

gredelin
11-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Ouch! this hurts...
because I'd really like to want door #2... but I know I'd go for #1 right away...
Maybe it's because I'm pathologically ambitious and always want to be the best at everything I try. Or, it could be because of where I am now: endless ideas, lousy execution.
I'd write down all the creative ideas I have now... then choose door 1
This was my thought too, gnu!
/Gunilla

hummingbird
11-14-2002, 08:17 AM
ROTFLMAO --you guys crack me up! You guys it a game show!! You're all cheating! You don't even know about the doors till you get there --you can't plan things for later --hahahahaha. It don't matter. Its not even a real game show, LOLOLOL

Pat

soulsketcher
11-14-2002, 05:51 PM
gee this is kind of a tough question...i would say door number one! i think i am in a slump now where i have so mny ideas in my head but i can' effectivly get them on paper. right now i would want the technical skills so that i could better expres myself. but i wouldn't want to lose my creativity!

good question!

Pilan
11-15-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by hummingbird
ROTFLMAO --you guys crack me up! You guys it a game show!! You're all cheating! You don't even know about the doors till you get there --you can't plan things for later --hahahahaha. It don't matter. Its not even a real game show, LOLOLOL

Pat

IT'S NOT REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT? CHEATING there is no such thing as cheating just as long as you get what you WANT:evil: besides if its not real then we can alll have it ALL ::clap:

pat this just goes to show the difference the artsy fartsy animal really has.

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 07:56 AM
ROTFL!!!!! I shoulda know better than to ask a bunch of creative types this question! You're all gonna come up with creative answers instead of just choosing. LOLOLOLOL This is even better tho!

Pat

belladonna
11-15-2002, 12:37 PM
By choosing one of these doors I would be imposing limits on myself. I would have to give up skill, (that I have worked hard for), or creativity, (that keeps the juices flowing). Why would I want to play at all? I would take the rice-a-rony for life, (or what ever hehehe), and use the opportunity to give my website a big plug on national T.V. , and then go home. :D

Pilan
11-15-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by belladonna
By choosing one of these doors I would be imposing limits on myself. I would have to give up skill, (that I have worked hard for), or creativity, (that keeps the juices flowing). Why would I want to play at all? I would take the rice-a-rony for life, (or what ever hehehe), and use the opportunity to give my website a big plug on national T.V. , and then go home. :D

lol isn't belladonna a drug:evil: you give to little babies ?:eek:

its rice a roni :D the san francisco treat! really now dont play, you must be the choosen one to have all that talent. let us know when you'll be on tv, hopefully its not the qvc channel where all the little ladies shop in the daytime. :D

Pilan

heh
11-15-2002, 05:20 PM
i'd ask for a window

BeyondTheNineSquares
11-22-2002, 09:41 PM
For me it's an easy question. Door number two! No contest! I can't even imagine what it would be like to live the life behind door number one!

It seems like I read somewhere recently about "the amature" who keeps buying all the tools an artist could want, but cannot pay the bills and doesn't create much real art, and the "true artist" who "makes do" with what she has, and soars through her art. She gets her bills paid, and probably sleeps better, too.

Koert
11-26-2002, 09:13 AM
door nr 1
no doubt about it

so ok, i can't get any good idea's, but no one says i have to paint

if you choose door nr 2, you have all this creativity that has to be let out. But you can't cause you don't have the skills to do it. it'd make me unhappy

Winty
11-27-2002, 12:58 AM
I look at it this way: There are probably millions of ways you can try to creatively cover up a lack of skills!

ahsank
12-13-2002, 09:24 AM
ill choose door #1 buy ideas from blueyog make money an buy the gameshow..:evil:

muhahahahahahahaah

TeAnne
12-19-2002, 03:54 AM
I think I already went thru' the second door awhile back :D