PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Watercolor- Help Please

BillieD
10-24-1999, 06:27 PM
I think you did an excellent job on your first attempt. Us beginners tend to go a bit pale...afraid of messing up those lovely effects...

I am in the second stage, overcompensating. I am just beginning to recognize the difference between when I've glazed correctly, before I have a mud pie. The one thing you want to remember when you are glazing, allow it to dry completely between each glazing, or you will be picking up the previous layers and make a mud puddle.

In other words, I am trying to learn some patience. It is easy to tell you what needs to be done...not so easy to do!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Rod
10-24-1999, 07:50 PM
Hi,
I wouldn't disturb your painting, it's a great way to remember your favorite pet and your first watercolor. Billie is right the first washes must be thoroughly dry. Apply washes lightly with a soft brush and you should not disturb the previous wash. If you are only painting a small area and want soft edges, then wet a larger area with clear water and then apply second color wet into wet. Or I should say not so wet into wet.Experiment first just applying wet into wet techniques you will get nice soft edges and sometimes as the first wash dries if you continue a cauliflower will be produced.
Rod

Phyllis Franklin
10-25-1999, 12:31 AM
This picture of my watercolor was taken at an angle because glass has already been placed over it. The big problem is the middle ground (I think). I was successful at doing the wash for the back ground but, when it came to doing the leaves behind the porch rails....I need help. I have read about using glazes, but each time I try I make big glops or mud. I was afraid to try again on this piece because I did like the set up. This was done from a picture of my cat that has since died. Dare I take it back out of the frame and try again to fix what is wrong? (My first and only Watercolor attempt that has been framed)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/southerncat.jpg

------------------
aka, llis

DrFeelgood
11-01-1999, 02:46 AM
Ok,lets begin.
First get some student grade paper
make 4 studies of your cat picture.
Try using deep values to bring your lighter values forward.The porch posts and cat would
ignite with a dark value to set them off.
Each study try exchanging values but always play dark against light ie dark cat light airy background light cat dark background.
Be fearless. Watercolor is for the brave so be brave, don't be afraid to make mistakes
use as large a brush as you can.
Doc-

Phyllis Franklin
11-02-1999, 08:45 PM
Thank everyone that has given me advice. I have taken them all to heart and think I will try again. Maybe it would be good to have a first reference. Thanks again.