PDA

View Full Version : Amanda's Dad

Elisabeth
09-28-1999, 09:11 PM
My question is to Johannas whom I assume did the critique on this scratchboard picture. Although it is very good, the ear appears to me to be misplaced. It is too low. Ears generally start at eye level and end at the edge of the mouth. I did not see this as an abstract picture, but maybe I'm wrong. Additionally, shouldn't there be at least an earlobe or some hint of an ear on the other side. I'm curious about what others think.
I'm not perfect and I don't want to appear critical but other than the height of the ear, she did a great job on the picture. The wrinkles, the eyes, hat and unusual expression is very interesting.

I was just curious....

robinsn
10-03-1999, 01:56 PM
I assumed that the picture was not meant to be realism. If the work was meant to be realism, it has major problems besides the ear. And I was curious to hear more from Johannes on this too.

I do get an emotion and a view into a character from the work and I imagine that is what makes it work and makes it 'art.'

A related question but not specifically about amanda's dad, if a work is 'way off' realistic - where it's obvious the artist didn't even try to get it 'right' - is it more easily perceived as art than if it is just a tad off - where it seems the artist tried, but just couldn't get it quite 'right' (even though that may not be the case)?

-Randy

amanda
10-04-1999, 12:12 AM
Hi Elizabeth, its Amanda here. I do agree with you about the ear as my mum has been pointing that out to me since I first showed her the picture. As it was my first scratchboard, I was still getting used to the medium so next time I can map out the picture more. The reason the ear is so low is because the original photo of my dad shows him looking up at the sky, so his ear looks lower than normal, that is acually where the ear was in the photo. Thanks for your comments, I was very encouraged by Johannes' critique.

amanda
10-04-1999, 09:20 PM
I actually intended two things, firstly to learn how to do scratchboard and secondly to show my dad as a real rugged Aussie! I do tend to start anything new with the hardest, its something I prefer to do so that I am really challenged. If it doesn't work out, I can step back a level. Its not so easy to correct a scratchboard painting so once its there, its there and I can refer to it as a reminder of lessons learn't when I do it again. To tell the truth, the picture doesn't really look a lot like my dad, but I still like it as a painting.

Elisabeth
10-05-1999, 12:09 AM
Randy, thanks for replying and you bring up a good point. I believe for the average person, it's probably a good idea for a work of art to be obviously realistic or not. If its realistic in all aspects except..for example perspective, it will lead to questions as to whether or not the person did not understand perspective or ignore it on purpose to prove a point. But as an artist you have the creative license to do whatever you want regardless what others think. It's probably a good idea when we send in things to critique to explain a little what message you want to convey. You brought up an interesting point. So, Amanda, what was your intent on your portrait of your father?? You chose a difficult angle for a portrait, I admire that, you're not afraid to do the difficult.