PDA

View Full Version : Drew Barrymore

bruin70
09-24-1999, 01:41 PM
randy,,,can you show the photo?,,,milt

robinsn
09-24-1999, 03:36 PM
I wish I could! It was in a magazine which got thrown away, apparently, when we moved recently. Having it would have made the revision easier. I didn't want to retouch her face without the reference, so I'm still looking for a copy.
-Randy

bruin70
09-24-1999, 06:05 PM
it would easier to analyze your art with a point of reference. blonds,,,,hmmmmm. there has never been a great painting of a blond. the hair doesn't frame the face well.
your values seem good. just a general point...i guessing the photo was a celeb shot with flash, so the light concetrates on the head and fades elsewhere. therefore the dark chest. i bring this up because, the chest, being wider and flatter than the roundish /smaller head,,,will bounce back more light therefore should be painted lighter than the head. from an artistic point of view, this is a good way to differentiate two totally different planes....milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

robinsn
09-24-1999, 07:49 PM
You're right about the face being too reflective. This was why I asked the question about the glaze in the other topic. I didn't want to tackle redoing the face since I no longer had the photo to work with. The chest was taken from a different photo, and I've learned more about colors since I did the original, so I managed to get the correct hues there, I think. Which now leaves the face too red and brilliant.

I was hoping a glaze would help tone the face down and add the greenish hues it needs. But I'm still wary of trying.

robinsn
09-25-1999, 12:30 AM
This is a painting I sent in for critique and is in the learning gallery in its original form. This is the reworked piece. Opinions are appreciated.

http://members.home.com/rrrobinson/art/drew2.gif

Thanks,

-Randy

bruin70
09-25-1999, 04:22 PM
glazes are usually used to enrich. if toning down is your objective,,,be carefull you don't muddy and darken. that greenish glaze idea is REALLY dangerous. your values here are much better than rufus. there's strong improvement. don't worry about matching color in flesh. flesh changes everywhere on the body. the face is redder cuz it is exposed to the sun more. the blood vessels on the nose are closer to the skin and gets more sun, so it's darker and redder. the eye area is very red from makeup, and blood vessels that course thru the eyeball, inner eye corner. women put on rouge. ears pass light thru them so they look pinker. the chest looks cooler than the everywhere else cuz it has less exposure to the sun, so it is also lighter( no tan). the arms tan and has more hair, so it is darker.and the fingers get darker and redder. artistically, if you painted the whole body in one color, it would be very unappealing and artificial. like a manequinn.
take your photo of drew and the painting,,,flip em both upside down. NOW, you will see the obvious errors in likeness as you observe each area section by section.
if you lighten the chest, the face will not glow as much......many times, if something is wrong, change what is around it not the thing itself...(face too yellow??? put a strong yellow in the painting and the face color will drop)

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

robinsn
10-03-1999, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the good points. They help. I may or may not bother to revise her. It was just an exercize anyway on a little 5/7 canvas panel. Well, I guess I need the practice on fixing, so I'll work on it sometime.

BTW, Drew isn't neccesarily a blonde. It depends on the time period you look at. Many photos had her as a brunette as I painted her here. I tried blonde, and couldn't get it right.

-Randy

Talmadge Moose
10-04-1999, 07:17 PM
Randy, a very minor thing you can do that I think will greatly improve the overall effect. I always pay special attention to the eyes, and am very careful to make one eye dominant. The right eye is closest to the viewer, and should receive a little more care. But the placement of the highlights square-dab in the middle of the pupil immediately tells you the photograph was taken with a flash. Try moving the highlights to either 10 oclock or 2 oclock. In your case, I would make it 10 oclock. In other words, slightly to the left, and up a bit, crossing both the iris and the pupil. Try it. It will give the whole face a different look.