PDA

View Full Version : scratchboard horse

inkskin
11-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Here is a scratchboard I am attempting, using a photo in the reference library by Caron. I have more work to do on this,so comments are appreciated.I am trying to figure out how much to develop the area of the muzzle because I don't want to do the background.

Size 11x14

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2002/scratchboard.jpg

Heather
original photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2002/6331horse2.jpg

scratchmaster
11-10-2002, 02:25 AM
It's looking good. What a great subject!

I wouldn't think you would have to do much more than some soft rim lighting to define the edges of the muzzle.

Russ

Southern Style
11-10-2002, 03:34 AM
How lovely! I like the details!

She-She
11-10-2002, 03:41 AM
I love what you have done so far. I have only worked with scratchboard once, so I can't help you much with this one. I'm just a horse crazy nut.

diane555
11-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Hi Heather

What a wondeful job on this horse! I love scratchboard but haven't done it in years. I'm happy to see that so many are keeping this medium alive and well :) I think a little soft outline on the muzzle works well.

Di

myorca
11-10-2002, 09:01 AM
Hi Heather,

Looking VERY GOOD!!! I agree with Russ about adding a tad of light around the muzzle. Just enough to show where his head ends and the background begins. I have seen many new scratchboard artists start too light or with too heavy a hand making the piece washed out from the start. You have avoided this which is GREAT! I hope you keep doing these as you are well on your way!

Bob

animal
11-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Looking good Heather! I started that one a while back in colored pencils but never finished.:)

inkskin
11-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Thanks everybody for looking:D

Russ and Bob,
That's pretty much what I was wondering about, thanks for showing it. I was feeling a little tense because I had been working on it for quite a while and was overthinking it I guess.It helped to see your suggestion.

Ladybug,She She, Di and animal,
Thanks:D I haven't done very many of these,and it has been quite a while since the last. It sure is fun.

Heather

myorca
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
I dont know how many times that "tense" feeling creeps up on me during a scratchboard. Questions like ...Am I overworking it? Or just how far should I go with it without ruining it. In the end I trust my ability and it all seems to fall into place.

I guess life wouldnt be any fun if there was no second guessing!! hahahha

Bob

hummingbird
11-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Hi Heather! I must have my head in the sand. I never even heard of or saw scratchboard till the other day in Michael's. What you are doing here is *wonderful.* Sorry I don't have any tips, I don't even know how you are doing it. Just wanted to say it looks great!

Pat

Leaflin
11-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi Heather :)
What you have done so far is wonderful.
Looks like you have got some great advice too.

MALARKEY
11-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Heather, this is lovely! I'm trying to get up the nerve to try my first one, I have the materials all here. Would you post a close up ? any area you think is interesting, I'd love to see more. thanks, Sandy

Axl
11-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Wow, it is nice to see you posting your scratchboard image for us :D Do you find this to be a challenging medium? Particularly because its light on darks? Your horse is really lovely, will love to see the finished product. Sorry I don't have any suggestions about the mussle or anything, although I think I like that solf edge suggestion. Will keep on peeking in :)

inkskin
11-19-2002, 12:33 AM
Thanks Pat,Leaflin,Sandy and Axl:D

Sandy, here is a section of it so far, I really haven't gotten a chance to do much more on it yet.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2002/scratchboard_section1.jpg

Axl,
I think it takes a little more thought than I am used to at first(ha),but I soon got into a sort of rythm. It is very meditative. I think your drawings would kick @** done in scratchboard. I am really enjoying it, but it is very time consuming for me.

Heather

scratchmaster
11-19-2002, 01:48 AM
That texture is super! I really like the close up view. Very, very nice.

Russ

MALARKEY
11-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Thank you Heather... that is really super fine work. :D

sammi
11-19-2002, 10:59 PM
:) you work is lovely,Ive tried a few my self but can only find 8x11 board, do they make it bigger and if so where can I get it. sammi

inkskin
11-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Hi Sammi,

I believe you can order it in larger sizes from Dick Blick or Daniel Smith art supplies. The company that makes them is called Ampersand, I believe that they have a web site too. Please be sure to post some of your work when you get one done, I would love to see more scratchboarders.:D

Heather

inkskin
11-20-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks Russ and Malarkey!:)

myorca
11-20-2002, 02:59 AM
Hi Sammie,

Michaels and Hobby Lobby also carry the boards and the largest I have seen there are 11x14. Be sure to inspect them though if bought through a craft store. Good local art stores carry larger ones also.

As Inkskin wrote, Dick Blick etc is a great place and cheaper. They seem to have a better quality too.

Bob