PDA

View Full Version : Critique the Editor!

scottb
09-04-1999, 06:03 PM
Ok, gang - here's the chance you've been waiting for - it's open season on a new work of mine (if you want to call it a "work").

Keep in mind, I've only recently begun painting... :-)

I call it "Silly Little Cat", 8x10, oil on canvas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/B/Scott_Burkett/cat_tn.jpg

The larger one is in the virtual gallery:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/B/Scott_Burkett

[This message has been edited by scottb (edited 09-04-99).]

beck
09-06-1999, 08:17 PM
Oooh Scott!
Youz a young'un!
Let's critique the editor... OK, the suit and tie look has to go!
No, really, back to the cat.
I like it, I like the strong lines/values around the head and ears, giving emphasis to the posture/mood of the cat, while the rest of it isn't detailed much.
The color is fun, too.

scottb
09-06-1999, 10:21 PM
Hi there, Beck - believe me, my looks border on being devlishly deceiving. I'm a ripe old 30. :-)

Thanks for the kind words on the kitty - it was a quick sketch I did after having a bunch of paint left over from another painting - I just hate wasting paint. The funny thing is that the impromptu cat turned out better than the planned piece ... :-)

Cheers.
Scott

bruin70
09-09-1999, 03:42 PM
scott,,,and YOU decide to start an art forum??? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif...i LOVE your cat. don't change it! or it'll look overdone. it has an impact feeling of sumi-e art. very calligraphic. looks like it could be a poster....milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

robinsn
09-11-1999, 12:57 AM
Scott, I think people are afraid of criticising you! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

I like your cat. It has a definite flow and feel to it that I like. However, I don't think it's the type of painting you can critique details. For instance, when you look at the larger version, I can't quite figure out what is what with the head. Eyes, nose, etc. But as a whole, I think it works.

Like Milt, I find it interesting that you begin and run such a wonderful successful art site and yet you've "only recently begun painting." Were you involved before with art in a different medium than painting?

-Randy

scottb
09-11-1999, 10:39 AM
Hi there, Randy - I agree - it's tough to critique abstract compositions. With this little "hack", about the only thing that can really be open for discussion is the compositional side of things.

In terms of my background - hehe. I started painting about a year ago - prior to that, I was a Director at a large technology consulting firm. I decided to combine my newly formed passion for art with my passion of technology. The result is what you see. :-)

I'm just fortunate that we've been able to enlist the services of folks like Roger, John, Johannes, Diana, et al. Without them, there would be no WetCanvas!

Cheers.
Scott

robinsn
09-11-1999, 01:58 PM
Scott, I see! Well, you did a fantastic job. I hope the site is very successful for you, 'cause it's great for us (me anyway - can't speak for everyone else).

-Randy

scottb
09-15-1999, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words, all! I'm not giving up my day job running this site, but I won't be giving up painting any time soon either... :-)

As Roger says, "practice, practice, practice!!!"

Cheers.
Scott

Talmadge Moose
09-19-1999, 06:13 PM
Nice kitty, but the composition bothers me a little.. Maybe moving the cat slightly to the right in the picture, or find something that can introduce another vertical line to the right of the cat to counter-balance the vertical that runs dangerously close to the left side of the canvas (the vertical produced by the left side of the cat). Just my opinion, but it is your painting. Never chamge it just because someone suggests it. You must decide for yourself.

anita Stewart
09-24-1999, 08:42 PM
scott
you have a lot of guts to open yourself up to critisism so quickly. It took me a long, long time before I was able to not take critisism personally. There is a lot of value in criticisism if it is given appropriately and taken as a way to possibly improve.
One of the fondest memories I have is going on a " field trip" to an art gallery with my sister who is also an art teacher.We had so much fun finding faults in master pieces. It gave us so much hope for our own work, that here was work done by master artists and many still had mistakes or needed improvemants..
Just a note: Do you ever feel like a right brained person living in a left brained world?