PDA

View Full Version : Please, critique my value sketch.

BillieD
09-19-1999, 11:44 PM
I finished this recently and am preparing to do a watercolor from it. I know I left out the shadow on the right side of the pot and oranges...to remind myself to drop in reflected colors from the mums and pitcher, to keep it lively. I'll add it later.

I am pretty much a novice. I started trying to get serious about becoming an artist about 5 years ago. I've taken 6, 6week courses in that time, 1 in pencil drawing, 1 in colored pencil, and 4 in watercolor, and have only produced 8 fully rendered works.

I've started a webpage as a motivational tool. You may want to check it out...May have to, if you want to see the sketch, if I can't get the picture to download here...
my address www.geocities.com/brnystrdy54/ (http://www.geocities.com/brnystrdy54/)

You're gentle, informative assistance to others has gave me the courage to try this.

Thank you,
Billie Dawn
http://www.geocities.com/brnystrdy54/sketch2.gif
I have completed the watercolor, it is posted on my homepage, on the third page, check it out, if you care to. Now, I want to try it differently, with a light back ground, and a looser style.

I haven't developed a style, yet, I'm to busy trying to learn technique. I paint 'tighter' than I really want to. If any one has any excercises to help loosen up, please share.

[This message has been edited by BillieD (edited 10-09-99).]

bruin70
09-20-1999, 01:00 AM
part of watercolors is the the "accidents" that occur, so don't get too detailed in your prelim unless you feel you need it.
since you refer to this as your value sketch, i'll stay with the "value" topic and let others handle the rest. every painting needs a dark to give it presence/backbone. your sketch is done in middle tone. how do you plan to layout your darks and lights. a suggestion,,, do a series of thumbnails,two inches at the most. do quick watercolor value sketches, with about four values. your dark flowers against the light pitcher is a good choice. how do you want to declare the rest of the painting?

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-20-99).]

Rod
09-20-1999, 03:25 AM
Hi Billie,
I assume the flowers will be your focal point, dark against a light pitcher is ideal.
The fallen petal takes your eye into the painting. Not sure about the top orange it tends to drag my eye to the left top corner.

Computer Tip.
If you have to edit your post several times, each time erase the "This message has been edited by " line. At the end it will appear that you only had to correct once,
Rod.

BillieD
09-20-1999, 05:44 PM
Thank you Rod and Bruin, I will take your advice into consideration.

I tend to get invovled in my value sketches, fully rendering them. I'm better with pencils than with the paint. (My father and son always want the sketches, so I finish them.)

I'd started out, planning to have the oranges and copper pot as the focal point, then had so much fun with the flowers...And to think when all I found to accent the composition with were chrysamthemums, I cringed.

I'm thinking about making the background a dark teal, would that make this composition more interesting?

[This message has been edited by BillieD (edited 09-20-99).]

bruin70
09-20-1999, 06:35 PM
is your piece going to be design oriented or "realistic"? as a design piece, you're good with what you have, but if you're trying for more realism, you'll have to attend to better negative space, and a strong addition of darks to pop your piece. in that vein,,,one thing you have to do is differentiate between the value you have for your background and table. the best approach here would be to darken your background.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

BillieD
09-23-1999, 10:12 PM
I see what you mean about a darker value... I usually give myself a few days before declaring a painting or drawing finished. In my care to leave the copper pot 'open' for reflected color, I left it much too light. In my imagination, the colors were there, in reflections, from the dark background I'd been toying with ... I'm afraid I cannot figure out a way to lose the top orange that is leading the viewer's eye out of the painting. Maybe, I've just gotten too attached to it :}.

bruin70
09-23-1999, 11:14 PM
i don't think the orange in pot leads the eye out. your composition is pretty centered. i remember those days way back when teachers told you this n'that. painting needs structure, to be sure....in art there are a lot of rights and very few wrongs. you just have to learn to coordinate all those rights. here's an across-the-board wrong...in realistic painting, anyway. NEVER LINE THINGS UP. it flattens any three dimensionality in the piece. beyond that,,,,don't overthink your piece. btw,,,that table area on the left is much too small to have consequence. i'd either lose it or bring the edge of the tablecloth under the pot to show more table.

------------------