PDA

View Full Version : new nude!

beck
08-31-1999, 10:20 AM
I'm heeding Scott's advice to only have one image per thread, so here's the "more finished" version of the first nude in the "new page in virtual gallery" thread. The first one was done spur of the moment, in red colored pencil, which is why there is so little contrast of light and dark. This one is #2 pencil, done more slowly. That's the diff between live and memory sketching. One captures the feel, the other details it out.
Beck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/P/Becky_Pena/Sept%20nude%202_tn.gif

I hope I got the image in right.

scottb
08-31-1999, 08:27 PM
:-)

Also, for those that want to see a larger image of this piece, check out Beck's virtual gallery exhibit on the main site.

Scott

robinsn
09-02-1999, 10:01 PM
Well, I have to say that I liked the first version better. The other one evoked an emotion - sort of a very relaxed sexiness. This one is technically better or more complete, I'd say, but doesn't say as much. Know what I mean?

-Randy

Talmadge Moose
09-19-1999, 05:40 AM
I agree the first nude is better, more vitality, more life. The cropping of both nudes bothers me a little. The two most difficult parts of the human figure are the head, the hands, and coming in a close third, feet. These are conveniently cropped off. Much like drawing a figure from the back, with hands in pockets (and feet in shoes) and showing the back of the head. I get the distinct feeling the reason for the cropping was the fear of tackling the more difficult.

Johannes Instructor
09-19-1999, 05:44 PM
Yes, Beck their observations are correct. We have good value contrast but the cropping doesn't favor it.

Johannes Instructor
Yes, Beck their observations are correct. We have good value contrast but the cropping doesn't favor it.

bruin70
beck,,,i hope you don't mind an instructional redo of your piece. members.xoom.com/tootie1/nudebeck.html (http://members.xoom.com/tootie1/nudebeck.html)
Value control is the least taught , most important element of drawing and painting. As you see, I darkened the background( with the darkest pixel in your image), and whitened the blanket,,,giving you three distinct values,,,the background(dark), the body(middle), and the blanket(light).
As you can see, the main thing missing from you drawing was a dark value to give it mass and structure( and it also clarified your back leg and popped the figure). basically, your drawing was all done in middle tone……...milt

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-19-99).]

bruin70
09-19-1999, 09:29 PM
no need to crop. use composition to get a point across. go with your initial instincts. you decided to portray the body as an almost absract-landscapelike image. (think of those cloud paintings with the low horizon line). what will be important is scale. because your piece looks fine small, it may not when it is scaled to a larger image. all that background may have too much weight. i would suggest a little bit more blanket. just a little,,, not as much weight as the body. what you have there is too insignificant.......milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

beck
09-23-1999, 08:56 PM
Hi Milt,
I've been off the puter a few days, surprised to see action on this sketch. Thanks for the re-do, sometimes I go for more contrast, but other times I forget that what I see isn't always exactly what I have to draw. Since this one was based on an actual room with linen curtains, I just stuck with that. The contrast really works, but an art teacher once told me that it was "cheating". Hmm! How can you cheat when the rulles are so loose?

I see it more as a bodyscape, too. That's why it never occured to me that i was cropping anything. That's just how it happened to fit on the paper. Honest to god, I ain't a'scared of hands, feet, or faces! Check the Virtual Gallery, Becky Pena. I ain't yeller!

I like the shadows and valleys of the human body... more sensual to break it down inch by inch, in art or otherwise.

bruin70
09-23-1999, 09:15 PM
all teachers do is lock your brain into one way of thinking. my gosh,,,i can't count how many times i've had to give artists permission to break the rules. in fact, rules, while handy for a beginner, are an encumberence to the intermediate and up.
beck,,,you're NEVER stuck with anything. you're the artist and it's your world you're creating. to your former teacher, it's cheating,,,to degas, it's a point of view.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe