PDA

View Full Version : December Group show

El_Elegante
11-09-2002, 07:05 PM
Hooray! finally accepted!

COCA (center on contemporary arts) here in Seattle was looking for work for their "Little Things Count" show in December. I almost decided not to bring any work for review because I've had so many many many hundreds of rejections. But I decided to do it anyway. I brought in 9 paintings. and layed them out on the floor. The gallery director took 1 look at them and said... "Hey, your James Brown. I recognize your work. I like it alot. I'll take these 6 for the show." He said he had been following my work since He saw it in his review of the Northwest annual jurried show, which I didn't get into. He even knew my e-mail address for some reason.

So not only did I get (6) of my 24x18 in oil on masonites into the show... But the guy recognized and admired my work before I even introduced myself!!!

It was a much needed boost for me. I was getting to the end of my rope.

Show info:

Seattle Washington
CoCA, 1420 11th Ave (on Capitol Hill between Pike & Union)
Opening of Little Things Count will be on November 30th at 6 PM
And run through December.

arourapope
11-10-2002, 12:04 AM
YAY! YAY! YAY! But now I'm curious. Is this the first judge who's seen your work IRL? Cuz if so, the troubles you've been having could just be your slides. You think?

reynolds
11-10-2002, 12:07 AM
el, congrats, i am now an owner or shall i say collector of your work so make me a millionaire:evil:
i am mainly very happy for you and your success.

El_Elegante
11-10-2002, 01:11 AM
It could be the slides aurorapope. They were not shot proffessionally, but they were done by a friend who knew what he was doing. They look pretty good. If I manage to sell a few of these.. one of the first things I'll do with the money is pay a professional to shoot about 30 of my best works over the last year.

El_Elegante
11-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Here are links to the 6 paintings they selected.

http://www.gdfather.com/art/coca.htm

Keith Russell
11-11-2002, 10:20 PM
El:

Congrats!

Keith.

reynolds
11-11-2002, 10:24 PM
thanks for the link el. i like the ones they chose, congrats again.

El_Elegante
11-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks kieth and reynolds.

geckonia
11-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Well it's about time!!!!!! Good for you, James. You deserve it, we all know you work hard enough for it!

Bob George
11-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Congrats, El. You do good work and deserve the attention.

Jolanta
11-17-2002, 03:04 PM
I am so happy for you. I like your work and admire your strong personality. I need to learn from you. Congratulations!!!

Jolanta

walden
11-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Congratulations!!!! :clap:

AmyH
12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
your work looked great, sorry we had to take off so soon, kids 'n art events don't mix lol

see ya at the blak and blu ball, we got a sitter.

arteitaliana
12-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Congratulations, El.
I truly wish you success.
One of these days I hope you will understand what I said and mostly why I said it.

R

El_Elegante
01-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Well, the show's over.. nothing sold.. but the gallery decided to keep a few of my works on permenant display, and wants me to bring in some other work in a month or two. So I consider it a partial success... :p but allas... what I really need is a sale or two, to pay off the last credit card bill for hundreds of dollars in art supplies, rolls of linen canvas aint cheap. :crying:

mame
01-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Pics of the exhibit ;)

http://cocaseattle.org/littlethingscount2/webshots2/pages/coca-littlethings06.htm

El_Elegante
01-05-2003, 03:51 PM
thanks mame.. Kudos to anyone who can find one of Amyh's or my paintings in there. lol. I found 2 of amy's and 3 of mine.. but then again, I knew where they were. this could be a where's waldo for artists.

mame
01-06-2003, 10:02 AM
I tried to find yours and amy's too. Looks like a good show of local talent.

Wish they'd gotten some pics of the THRONGS of people looking, milling about........

:D

onefromheaven
01-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Congrats El and Amy! it's great to see you both getting the recognition you deserve..........wishes for much continued success!!

El_Elegante
02-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Hooray... the gallery wants to take 7 more paintings.. even though none have sold.

I had the most odd and wonderful coincedence.. I was laying out about 20 paintings at the gallery for the director to take a look at.. and who should walk in the door, but Linda Farris, who curated the Mark Tobey exhibition, and the Contemporary art project at the Seattle art Museum. She came in with a woman who I beleive was Mark Tobey's daugther or grandaughter or something.. They were there to look at something else.. but they did get a good look at my work, and I talked to them for just a second.. so it can't hurt.. maybe they will recognize it next time they see it out at a show.

El_Elegante
02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
alas, it was not tobey's GD.. just a coincidence. anyway...