PDA

View Full Version : Learning gallery

robinsn
07-18-1999, 12:09 AM
I want to thank the WetCanvas staff for having the Critique center and learning gallery on this site.

Somehow, I grew up thinking that art, to be good art, had to look 'real' like photorealism. Most of my work has strived for that realism, but I struggled in my mind with it because many of the things I wanted to paint/draw (and some I created) were not that way. I liked the 'message' that I put into the works, but inside, thought that people would just view them as 'amateurish' because they weren't realistically correct.

Even though I've seen many paintings from professional artists which weren't realistic, somehow I thought they were special or something.

From the comments in the learning gallery, I've felt more free to experiment more in other techniques than realism. It's very helpful and I hope you keep the critiques up.

------------------
-Randy

scottb
08-10-1999, 12:56 AM
Hi there, Randy!

Thanks for the kind words - and I'm so glad that the critique center has been of help to you. Exploration is essential to art, and the work that our critique team is doing exemplifies that spirit. I'm proud of them, too... :-)

Cheers.
Scott

Rod
08-10-1999, 02:26 AM
Hi Scott,
I agree with Randy,seeing other artists work and constructive criticisms is excellent. Some of your own friends are often too kind and do not wish to criticise ones work. I sent in a painting image 2 weeks ago, can't wait to hear and see the results of an experts constructive comments, how long does it normally take?
Rod.

------------------
Rod
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476

scottb
08-10-1999, 07:58 AM
Hi Rod - the process can take anywhere from a day to a few weeks.

Of course, it is important to keep in mind that not all entries are used. We receive many critique submissions each week. The critique team determines which of those entries best fits with the purpose of the Learning Gallery. For example, if there isn't a lot that can be easily pointed out, or if the digital modification will be too difficult, we generally pass on them. As this is a free service, we reserve the right to be picky... :-)

Cheers.
Scott

robinsn
08-10-1999, 09:14 AM
Hi Rod,

I was glad to hear Scott's explanation about why they might not use a painting. I sent in a painting and never heard back anything, and thought since they didn't use it that it must have been a really bad painting! It didn't help my confidence to think it was so bad they couldn't even criticize it! It's nice to know that maybe they didn't use it for some other reason.

But I sent another in recently and it was up within a couple days.

------------------
-Randy

robinsn
08-10-1999, 09:27 AM
Hi Rod,

I just went to visit your site and checked out your gallery. I like your work. Maybe we should start a peer-to-peer critique group where we critique each other's work. It may not be as professional, technical, and thorough as WetCanvas's, but we could tell each other which our favorite it, the feelings we got when we saw it, etc. I'd be willing to spend time on your site (and other's) if I could get opinions on mine too. What do you think?

Scott, do you think this is a good idea or a bad idea?

-Randy
<A HREF="http://members.home.com/rrrobinson/art"> A sample of my work </A>

scottb
08-10-1999, 02:17 PM
Hi Randy - I think that this would be an excellent idea. We could set up a special section of the Critique Center for critiques submitted by visitors...

Cheers.
Scott

robinsn
08-11-1999, 01:28 AM
Scott, I'm glad you think it's a good idea. I originally was thinking just a message forum where artists could post their site where their art was, and we could visit the site and give feedback on the different pieces in a message thread format.

It sounds like you have something more organized in mind. I'll be interested to see what that is.

If you need any help, like a moderator or something, I'd be happy to help however I can.

------------------
-Randy
<A HREF="http://members.home.com/rrrobinson/art">My Sample Art Gallery</A>

[This message has been edited by robinsn (edited 08-11-99).]

Rod
08-11-1999, 02:57 AM
Hi Scott,
Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to think that you only used oils. Even if you do not use a painting for critique I think it would be better if you did at least send a short note to the sender with some comments, or explain the facts on your submit a painting page.
Thanks for the visit to my site Randy ,will look at yours tonight,

------------------
Rod
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476

scottb
08-12-1999, 10:44 AM
Yes - I agree. I'll take another look at the Critique page and get with Johannes and Roger. Hopefully, we can try and clarify everything.

Oh, the woes of offering a free service.. ;-)

Cheers.
SCott

Rod
08-13-1999, 05:26 PM
Thanks Scott,
I'd hate to see dissapointed amateur artists,
Regards Rod.

Rod
08-14-1999, 04:54 AM
Hi Randy,
Visited your site today, Your pencil sketches are brilliant, wish I could draw like that. My favorite of your oils is Drew Barymore,
Well done

------------------
Rod
www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476 (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476)

robinsn
08-14-1999, 10:30 AM
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the visit and your opinion on my work and for starting off the 'peer-to-peer' critiques! I am right in the middle of moving, but in the next few days, I will spend more time at your site and send you my thoughts on yours. I think this could be very useful!

Scott, Could we have a peer-to-peer critique discussion area and see if we can get participation with this idea?

-Randy
<A HREF="http://members.home.com/rrrobinson/art/">My Art Gallery</A>

scottb
08-14-1999, 07:03 PM
Absolutely! For now, just send your images to me personally, and I'll set everything up.

At some point, we could probably automate things a bit - but let's try this for now... :-)

Cheers.
Scott

robinsn
08-14-1999, 08:10 PM
Hi Scott,

Oh! I was thinking that you would just give people the chance to post the address of their gallery and we could check them all out. Posting our site addresses would save you from any kind of maintenance and us from having to upload our graphics when they're already up somewhere.

Not that you need to do it this way, but if we had a "Review my work" message forum, each person could start a topic giving their gallery address and maybe particular questions or opinions being asked for. Then the rest of us could check them out and reply within each topic with our opinion.

Here's a forum that works like that: <A HREF="http://gethighforums.com/bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Site+Review+Please!&number=13&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=">Site Review Please!</A> which is probably why I pictured it this way. With this format, we could even say something like, "Does her head look too big?" And put the site address so there would be no overhead for you.

Of course, I'm all for it, whatever it looks like! <g> If you want us to upload images, where do we send them and do we do one at a time?

-Randy

[This message has been edited by robinsn (edited 08-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by robinsn (edited 08-14-99).]

Rod
08-14-1999, 11:36 PM
Hi Scott and Randy,
Either way is a great idea, I'm sure there are a lot of artists that would like comments about ther work. I think the forum idea would suit as we are trying to remove the pressure from wetcanvas with low maintenance.
As we are talking about uploading images, which format do you prefer for say the learning centre, gif, jpg etc. And size of image, large as possible within the kbyte restriction? I have just completed my first Pastel painting of our cat,sent it to my painting friend who immediately pointed out that one eye was too small, which I have now corrected, but many probably do not have a friend that will made criticising comments for fear of offending. Will let you know when it is on my web page,

------------------
Rod
www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476 (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1476)

robinsn
08-15-1999, 11:06 AM
Hi Scott,

Now that I see what you had in mind, I like it better than my idea! Thanks!

-Randy

Johannes Instructor
08-17-1999, 11:47 PM
Wow! I hadn't realized I was getting this popular. Sorry for the delay in getting those critiques done. I went to the Tetons for 10 days to gather subject material for my paintings (I'm gonna take on the big guys in Santa Fe)and the critiques got piled up. As of August 16 I will start to send you your critiques in order as they came in. All of them should be done by the end of this week.

Rod
08-18-1999, 03:51 AM
Hi Johannes,
Hope you had an enjoyable trip and collected plenty of material for future paintings,keep up the great work,

------------------
Regards Rod

Johannes Instructor
08-19-1999, 07:45 PM
Thanks Rod. Stay tuned. I will be uploading some of the pictures that would make great painting projects along with some suggestions.

jvloot
08-20-1999, 12:20 AM
Thanks Rod. Stay tuned. I will be uploading some of the pictures that would make great painting projects along with some suggestions.