PDA

View Full Version : Would you believe AHB with NO layers?

jsr88
11-08-2002, 08:38 PM
:eek:
Yep! That's what I said...we can use the AHB without any layers at all!

Here's an example...
(This is NOT being shown for its worthiness as a composition...merely the technique. ;) )
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2002/jsr88-pansies-2098-AHB-nl-wc.jpg

Detail...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2002/jsr88-pansies-2098-AHB-nl-detail.jpg

All I did with this photo was open it in PS7, choose my brushes, and brush settings and began to swish across the objects in the photo. I couldn't believe that I was even able to USE the AHB without first creating at least ONE layer.

I don't remember the brush or the settings I used ( :rolleyes: for this one, but I'm pretty sure I can do it again :D )

I did switch brushes several times, and I did use my little trick of starting off with very small brushes and light opacity until I got the "feel" of the various brushes. The details of the flower faces were done with a brush set on PENCIL! I think it was a #2 pencil - but I forgot which set of brushes I found it in. :rolleyes:

I know...I'm NOT a very big help, am I? :)

geckonia
11-08-2002, 09:26 PM
fantastic! keep it simple...why not :D So, you added the texture after? Or did you paint with that texture :confused: Those fine lines in the centers look great... good job, Julie!

here's a maybe useful tip... or a reminder to myself ;)

when you have a brush you like, try to remember to SAVE it before you trade it in on another variant. See the little tool preset picker window in the upper left of your screen? open that and click on the little *new* icon. Name your brush, click ok.

I wish there was a way to keep all my settings in the brushes dialog when I switch to HB or Paintbrush... any ideas?

madster
11-08-2002, 09:27 PM
JSR, what a neat effect!

Even tho' you weren't able to provide many details, you did provide enough motivation to encourage playing around with the AHB tool, which is one I've yet to really attempt doing anything with.

Thank you for sharing your revelations!
Madster

jsr88
11-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Geck,
"Keep it Simple" is right...I just never thought of using the brush WITHOUT the layer...I think it was an accident that I found it at all. ;) Cool, eh?

Re the texture. I actually did one version in each technique, I liked putting the texture on after painting, but only because I couldn't figure out how to keep the texture from "washing away" as I was playing.

The fine lines in the pansy faces...Yes...I was EXTREMELY happy with those. Like I said I used a "pencil setting" *not* the pencil tool. It just *worked!* (oh, I also used the "pencil setting" to clean up a few of the edges of the petals as well.

Thanks for the "saving the brush" note/tip. I had thought of that but only *after* the fact. Oh...and another thought along those lines. We can save NEW SETS of brushes for ourselves, too, can't we? I wonder if those new sets contain the settings of the brushes as we save them.

As to how to save our settings between switches...:D I was doing screen captures to try to keep track. I wouldn't put my Wacom Pen down long enough to write regular notes...and keeping a Text or Notepad file open was rediculous too. I kept forgetting to WRITE it down.! Finally, on one of the projects, I started doing the screen captures, and writing notes in WORD, then pulling the captures into the document. That seemed to work best. (Actually, I started doing that when I wrote those notes in Wanda's thread and messed them up. I cleaned up what I sent to you in email and added the captures to it. :D )

Madster (I think I'm about to start calling you "Maddy" :) ) Thanks...trust me, *experimenting* is where it's at! I swear NO one could possibly learn this stuff from a book...it's too confusing! :D

madster
11-08-2002, 10:02 PM
But youze doesn't have to call me Madster (if I don't have to call you jsr88)! :D

Julie, I agree about books being hard to understand sometimes, and although the User Manual does an okay job in describing the AHB, you've proven that the white layer they use isn't necessary...Now I've got a new project to play with this weekend. Thanks again!:clap:

Maddy

jsr88
11-08-2002, 10:07 PM
:D :D
:clap: I'll call youze MADDY!! :D
Now..."Get to busy!!" (just something I used to tell my kids when they were little.)
...and PLEASE DON'T CALL me jsr88! ;)

Ozzie
11-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Clueless in Florida. AHB means what Julie?

I like the effect, alot.

Class is in session.

Ozzie is present.

Never mind I just read Animal's post after posting this and he wrote what it is. Now all I gotta do is find it :D

ginatec
11-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi please let me into the secret of AHB...where is it in PS6?
Newbie to digital manipulation, and also clueless
:D

geckonia
11-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Welcome to our little playroom in the basement of the photography forum! You'll find the Art History brush under the history brush in your tool palette.

Here's a tutorial to get you started...

http://studio.adobe.com:80/learn/tips/totalphs25/main.html

madster
11-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Its under the paintbrush, under the history brush.Sorry, didn't find it easily myself in 6.

Gina, you can also find info on Photoshop in your User Manual, and F1, the online Help files.

ginatec
11-10-2002, 05:06 AM
Many thanks Madster and Geckonia...The penny has dropped it is Art History Brush....O.K. I am away tp play:clap:

plumpfairy
11-10-2002, 11:05 AM
:D Howdy Julie!
K:cool: :cool: L gig you got goin' here!
jana:D ;)

Bobby D
11-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Very impressive Julie keep up the good work:clap: :clap:

madster
11-10-2002, 09:46 PM
For anyone who doesn't roam the WC hallways too much...

There is a very nice tutorial featured on the Digital Art page by Crystal Russel that specifically deals with the AHB, and shows some really neat effects!