PDA

View Full Version : November Mood

Dirgni
09-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi

weather is really dark at the moment - but I feel fine - don't be afraid! :wink2:
I wanted to try a wet in wet painting, after this was dry I painted wet on dry (trees and branches, grass)
How can I imrove the reflections of the trees in the next painting? Do you have an advice for me? Shall I paint them, when colour is still wet? An how can I make water to look like water??? Thanks for your help!
Ingi

UNK
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Do ALL your painting at one time - otherwise you risk blossoms and mud.

Use wet-into-wet, but wait until the sheen is off the paper, then with a dry but slightly damp brush, drag the reflections and shadows into the water - later adding a little black along the shore line. Pulling the reflected shadows down in any painting ensures that the shadow colour matches the rest ( since it contains those colours ). Later when dry - put alittle gouche white along the shore line and a tip on the bright side of a few trees for highlights. Then some dark squiggles with a rigger will give individual tree reflections.f

Here's one in which I've pulled the shadows down from the shore - mind you it's more colourful than yours - but it does express the idea the way reflections and cast water shadows should be - it's also a winterish scene with partially frozen over water.

Hope this helps

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2010/230647-OpenWater09_6.jpg

" Reflections " - 14" x 22" on Arches 140 Rough white.

UNK

ReggieS
09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
This is lovely!
If you had made the reflections darker that would give more of the appearance of water. Also, you should show some movement in the water with some horizontal lines as UNK has done. l love your fog!

Reggie

Kayelny
09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Dirigni... I love the atmosphere you created her and the color palette. such a soft feel to it.. thanks for sharing

Dirgni
09-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Thank you UNK for your helpful comment. but wait until the sheen is off the paper, I think this is what I always did wrong - I made the paper wet and started promptly without wating. I shall try this with another picture and tell you if I was successful!
@ReggieS
If you had made the reflections darker that would give more of the appearance of water Ok, Reggie I will pay attention to this! thank you too.
@ Kayelny
Thank you very much.
Ingi