PDA

View Full Version : with a pack of index cards

hummingbird
11-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Sometimes its hard to commit to daily artist journaling. What about an abbreviated form using a pack of index cards? An index card is a small space, typically 3" x 5" and there is a slightly larger size. A pack will last a long time. The space is small enough that its not hard to fill in a day.

One index card a day...collage, draw, paste found items, make notes, jot down quotes, etc.

Just an idea.

Pat

Koert
11-04-2002, 12:05 PM
i think that might be a bit to small to actually put a good idea on it, unless you keep it very very short

Paintbrush74
11-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Pat,

I say give it a try. You could use abbrieviations that you understand. It certainly won't hurt to try it. They're easy to take everywhere you go.

hummingbird
11-04-2002, 05:26 PM
I think I will give it a try with maybe the larger index cards. Just a place to jot down a thought from the day and maybe do a small sketch/drawing or collage. The other day I was listening to the radio and they were interviewing artist Peter Max. He carries cards like that with him everyday. He said he had 3 sizes of them. In the radio studio he was sketching on ones he uses the size of baseball cards. He said he does 30 to 40 of these sketches a day on the cards. Now I'm not gonna commit to 30 - 40 sketches...but I like the idea of the smaller cards and maybe using it for an artist journal of sorts --like a daily journal.

I'm gonna pick some up tonight. I like the idea of a full size regular artist journal but don't know that I'd be able to do it everyday. Something small is nice to have too.

Pat

jenrou
11-04-2002, 05:31 PM
I use index cards for everything, but still don't organize them the way I should. I have read somewhere....that an artist suggested using them to take outdoors to sketch.:D

mallory
11-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
Sometimes its hard to commit to daily artist journaling.

You could always start with a committment to post 20 Wetcavas posts a day.

mallory

sgtaylor
11-05-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Koert
i think that might be a bit to small to actually put a good idea on it, unless you keep it very very short

You can get a lot onto an index card. I've heard that screenwriters use them - one scene per card - shuffle them around - pull one out - stick one in - eventually you have a movie.

I've never written a movie... but I have plotted out stories that way.

jenrou
11-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by sgtaylor

You can get a lot onto an index card. I've heard that screenwriters use them - one scene per card - shuffle them around - pull one out - stick one in - eventually you have a movie.

I've never written a movie... but I have plotted out stories that way.

I agree, Sgt. When I was studying "how to write a novel" we were told to put scenes on cards. (Not that I ever got past half a book in writing..):p

Blueyog
11-06-2002, 12:18 AM
That's a great idea !

Personally, I have a notepad that follow me everywhere (I kept it near my bed at night) and when I have an idea, I write it before I forget it. You never know when an idea will appear.

rye
11-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Index cards are great tiny canvases. In 3X5 and 4X6. I also love the 2.5X3.5 Artist Trading Card format. If I like the image I might save it or rework it on a new card. Mostly I just give them away or leave them in books hoping someone might find it and say, "Hey, that looks like Hydro Man from Marvel Comix!" On the back I'll title it, Rumsfeld.

Violinagin
11-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Ooh!! Notecards! Great idea. *nods* Very useful and you can put lotsa different stuff on them... and you can punch holes in the corner and use one of those rings to hold them together!!

I'm sorry. Neat and new ideas get me all excited. :)

*Goes to buy index cards now* Fun!

bjcpaints
11-17-2004, 11:36 AM
I think its a great idea. I am always cutting out sayings from inspirational calendars and trying to save them somewhere - this would be a great palce to put them with my own little works of art for each quote - could be used like those neverending calendars with no year on them. Hope you know what I'm talking about I can't think of the real term for them.
Barbara

ValorieCox
11-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Pat, I love the idea! A nice small surface...it's not overwhelming and is an easily tackled small space. It will force you to get right to the essence of what you put on paper. Great idea, show us as you go! :) Val

Andrew
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
I find 3x5 too small for art, but I have used 4x6 and 5x7 for plein aire work. while not index cards per se, I prefer scrap matte board or posterboard.

Andrew

Yokovich
12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
nifty idea...!

PAKI
12-04-2004, 12:58 AM
I personally love the 4x6 size card. It does make a great mini canvas for sketches, drawings, and general ideas. Easy to carry around and store. Holds up to pencil, pens, and paints. Great for getting the creative pump going. The card also fits nicely in both hands when used as a viewfinder for quick sketches. Love using coffe at breakfast to make a monochrome watercolor type sketch.